All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
substitute for coconut milk
      #11609 - 06/13/03 11:17 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I can't let Karin find all the good substitutes! In a recipe for a heart-healthy curry on the webpage jo1978 posted (web page) I read that a very low-fat or fat-free substitute for coconut milk can be made by combining 1 tablespoon coconut extract with 2 cups low-fat or fat-free soy or rice milk. By the way, the aforementioned curry looked really good. When I have a chance to try it I'll post the results.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: substitute for coconut milk new
      #11613 - 06/13/03 11:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey, I've tried this! And the odd thing is it came out great but I thought the coconut extract tasted a little odd. So the next time I just used plain soy milk, no extract, and it tasted much better! Very strange...I thought I'd really miss the coconut but the Thai curry was so strongly flavored it didn't matter.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11647 - 06/13/03 05:50 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Darn, now I've got to get to work again.........lol. The possiblities with this substitution are endless, think cherry extract, lemon, vanilla, hazelnut, almond, etc........we could have some good fun with this one! Thanks Tess..........k

#329320 - 05/04/08 02:29 PM
rose sprig

Reged: 05/03/08

Hello All,
I make my own coconut milk and it seems low fat compared to the canned. Take equal parts unsweetened shredded coconut and boiling water. Put in blender, mix for several minutes and strain over pyrex bowl. You can then run 1-2 cups boiling water through the strained coconut mash, to make more coconut milk. This should be used immediately or frozen. I put mine in ice cube trays, then I can use one or two at a time, for example sometimes I use 2 cubes in a bowl of oatmeal as the milk.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 349 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8273

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review