All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sushi Rolls
      #11231 - 06/10/03 07:57 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I would like to try my hand at making my own sushi rolls. Any suggestions or recipes. I LOVE them from my local restaurant, but they can be a bit pricey. I'm hoping that homemade is more economical! Thanks!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sushi Rolls new
      #11247 - 06/10/03 09:43 AM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

Hi there,

I love making sushi - only learnt how to make it a few weeks ago. Firstly you need the right sort of rice. When I haven't been able to get sushi rice I've been okay with a thai short grain rice. I put it in a pan with 2 cups of water to each cup of rice and let it soak for about 30min or so. Then cook it with the lid on until it has absorbed all the water. Then stir in some sushi vinegar and let it cool. Then I take a sheet of pretoasted nori and spread the rice out on it, keeping it about an inch away from both short sides to give it space to roll. Then I put strips of cooked carrot or whatever I fancy in the middle. Roll it up and dampen the edge of the seaweed to make it stick together. And then slice it, and serve with pickled ginger or wasabi (japanese horseradish).

Some of the ingredients can be hard to find - I know where to get them in the UK, but I can't help with elsewhere. And before I bought a bamboo rolling mat I did okay with a clean teatowel.

geekgirl

#11270 - 06/10/03 12:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

GReat idea! I love making sushi rolls. It's much cheaper than buying them.

I like making my own California rolls with crab, avocado, and cucumber. Or I add a little cooked salmon dabbed with teriyaki sauce, avocados, and cucumbers.

Christianne - see if you can get a Japanese cookbook from the library. They'll give instructions on making sushi rice (very easy, but I can't remember the proportion of rice vinegar you add) and ideas for fillings.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11277 - 06/10/03 01:02 PM
tnchawk

Thanks! I actually have just requested a "Sushi" cookbook from the library which will be in tomorrow! I can't wait to try making it! I will post any good recipes that I get!

-Christianne

--------------------

Link to sushi roll salad recipe new
      #11282 - 06/10/03 01:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

web page

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Link to sushi roll salad recipe-Thanks! -nt- new
      #11285 - 06/10/03 01:23 PM
tnchawk

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review