All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
      #109902 - 10/02/04 10:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Another one of my long-time favorites. Eat these up quickly, or put some in the freezer - because of their high moisture content, they mold quickly.

1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy margarine
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 cup raisins (cookies are also good without raisins)

Combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl, cream sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin, vanilla & zest. Reduce speed to low & stir in flour mixture till combined. Stir in raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes, till lightly browned. 26 calories & 1 g fat per cookie.

These are small cake-like cookies; they don't flatten as they bake. So tasty!

Edit: My math skills are pretty rusty, but I *think* I just realized that if you're going by the percentage guidelines for fat content, these are a little high. I will say, however, that I'm VERY sensitive to fats, and I've still been able to eat these without a problem. You could also experiment with cutting the margarine in half, and adding more pumpkin to compensate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pumpkin Spice Cookies new
      #109935 - 10/03/04 07:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

YUM! My boss has a smiliar recipe that I used to make but it has chocolate chips in it. Maybe I could use carob chips instead?

#109951 - 10/03/04 09:14 AM
atomic rose

I think carob would work. Yum, that sounds good. My friend Lisa makes a *killer* pumpkin bread with chocolate chips in it... I thought I'd never eat that again, but I didn't think to check out carob. Thanks for the idea!

Really? new
      #109952 - 10/03/04 09:15 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you think the percentage is high with all the oats/flour/sugar/raisins to add calories? I just guestimate that stuff and so maybe I have been off because it seems like they would have a lot of calories and only 1 gram of fat, but I am not so good at that stuff as you!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Well... new
      #109956 - 10/03/04 09:44 AM
atomic rose

I don't usually do calculations myself... back when I copied this recipe down, years ago, it really said that it was only 26 calories and 1g fat per cookie. 26 sounds low, but they *are* small cookies, so I figure that's about right.

Fat is 9 calories per gram, a bit more than twice what carbohydrates are per gram. So if the cookie has 9 calories out of 26 being fat, that's roughly 35% calories from fat, which is higher than the 20-25% that's recommended.

I'll be honest, though - I normally can't be bothered figuring percentages. I just go by grams. I would consider cookies like this to be healthy and low-fat, because even if I eat 3 of them, that's still only 3g fat and that isn't much. But that's just me.

And I'm rambling, and probably not even answering your question. LOL!

No I get you new
      #109960 - 10/03/04 10:46 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I just can't believe they have 26 calories. Maybe without raisins as veggies like pumpkin are probably low in calories but the raisins and oats should bump that up. I bet another 1/4c raisins would do the trick. (I have been putting dried fruit in everything lately ). 130 cal per 1/4c. But I guess I wonder how many cookies it makes. Not that it matters b/c I think the cookies sound good! and I will make them. I am just curious. (I made Heather's sunshine bread which is great. I love the cinnamon/clovey stuff in fall!)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#112559 - 10/13/04 01:01 AM
Noixdecoco

Reged: 10/11/04

Hi casey, these sound wonderful. However, I live on the island of Mauritius and I can't get canned pumpkin. How soft is the pumpkin that comes in the can? Is it a 440g can?? I can't buy soy marg either. I guess I will cut the marg in half then. Can't wait to give these a go!! Julie

#112562 - 10/13/04 03:02 AM
atomic rose

Canned pumpkin is VERY soft - cooked, mashed, and pureed until perfectly smooth. Can you get pumpkin at all? If not, can you get sweet potatoes there? If so, sweet potatoes, cooked very well and mashed with nothing added until smooth, would be an acceptable substitute.

The size of the can doesn't matter much, because you use 1 measuring cup-ful. One or two sweet potatoes would make that amount easily.

As far as the margarine goes, don't worry if you can't find soy - any other non-dairy non-butter margarine will work just fine.

Good luck - and enjoy!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2597

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review