All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
      #109475 - 10/01/04 06:14 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I made this this morning and it's a perfect coffee cake: light and not too sweet. If you like a more obvious cinnamon flavor, you might want to increase the cinnamon to 3/4 tsp, or even 1 tsp - it's not very cinnamony.

Cake:
2 cups reduced-fat Bisquick
2 tbsp sugar
2/3 cup soy milk
2 egg whites

Topping:
1/3 cup reduced-fat Bisquick
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp soy margarine (firm)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together the topping ingredients until crumbly; set aside.

Whisk together the cake ingredients, and spread in a 9" round cake pan that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.

Bake 18-22 minutes, until golden brown. Makes 10 servings.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

ummm! sounds good and easy and ingredients we have-nt new
      #109711 - 10/01/04 07:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Brown Sugar Coffee Cake,New Year's Success and a question........... new
      #134391 - 01/02/05 01:33 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Rose;
Wanted to let you know I made this cake twice since you posted it-I can't believe how easy it was to make.The first time I made it I made a single receipe using Smart Balance Light as the "butter" in the topping.I loved it and so did most of my family(except my brother,who bitched that it was a "freakish cake with no fat in it."His culinary sensibility was offended.........)The one complaint I got from everyone was that it wasn't sweet enough.So come New Year's,I made it again with the following modifications:1)I doubled the reciepe to make a double layer crumb cake,2)I doubled the amount of white sugar in it and 3)I used the simple icing receipe for the Holiday Christmas Trees posted here(4 egg whites and 4 cups of powdered sugar whisked together in an electric mixing bowl on high speed).I then layered the bottom crumb cake with the icing and topped it with the second layer and spread the icing over the sides of the cake.IT WAS A HUGE HIT-WONDERFULLY SWEET AND LIGHT AND TASTY.I'm gonna make this often,it's too easy NOT to! While I'm on the subject,I made one of the cornbread reciepe's posted here as well-it too went wonderfully,everyone can't stop eating it,even my mother who's Crohn's is SO bad she cries from the pain of eating pasta sometimes was able to eat it with no problem.My one question-the cornbread SEEMS to be going a bit "funny" on the second or third day without refrigeration-which is so wierd since the cornbread contains so little fat! The only major difference in the reciepe was I used corn oil instead of canola oil for the small amount of oil needed.The only possible reasons I can think of is that either the fresh cornmeal(in the paper bag) and/or the soy milk in the breads can go rancid.I didn't think it could that quickly.What does everyone here think?
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

I find that... new
      #134400 - 01/02/05 02:23 PM
atomic rose

Fat-free and greatly-reduced-fat baked goods simply don't last as long. I'm not sure what recipe you used, to know what the ingredients were, but for some reason, the less oil is in a recipe, the quicker it goes *funny*. Not that this applies to you, but I find things made with pumpkin are the worst - if I know I won't be eating it in 3 days or less, most of it goes in the freezer. The problem is worse if you live in a warm, humid climate (summers here are killers for food), or if you keep your house quite warm.

The simple solution is to always refrigerate the leftovers of low-fat baked goods. I find things last about a week that way.

Good luck!

Re: I find that... new
      #134497 - 01/02/05 08:16 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Rose;
Thanks.that's interesting-it's probably due to the relatively high carbohydrate content versus high fat foods-makes them much more prone to fungus and bacterial growth.
I'll remember to freeze or refrigerate for next time!
Andrew L.

Alternate Topping new
      #219804 - 10/17/05 07:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is yummy as is, although I definitely add more cinnamon to my topping. However, the last couple of times I've made it, I've used the topping from the Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread in EFI. It works wonderfully - very sweet and cinnamon-y - and it actually means a little less fat (1 Tbsp of oil from bread topping versus 2 Tbsp soy margarine plus whatever is in Bisquick).

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

One of these days, I should really get a copy of EFI new
      #219837 - 10/17/05 09:45 AM
atomic rose

I'm sure that topping is great on it!

Well, today doesn't need to be that day ... new
      #219858 - 10/17/05 10:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

1 Tablespoon all-purpose unbleached white flour
5 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon canola oil

(I'd do the whole recipe, but it's long and I'm feeling lazy)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

It's ok, be lazy... new
      #219913 - 10/17/05 01:50 PM
atomic rose

You're right - I bet that's even better. I will have to try it. Thanks so much!

Re: Brown Sugar Coffee Cake new
      #299081 - 02/06/07 09:00 AM
MeganW

Reged: 07/30/06

What exactly is Bisquick? I'm from the UK and want to make the cake but don't think it's sold over here?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14475

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review