Loc: Minnesota

2+c. fresh garden tomatoes diced and drained of the goop
2t. really good olive oil
2t. really good balsamic vinegar
1t. kosher salt plus more if needed
1T. garlic minced
2-3T. basil chiffonade
cracked pepper
good bread sliced thin and toasted in the oven right before serving.
mix in a bowl and let macerate on the counter for some time (couple hours). Pour onto toasts right before serving. The liquid will make the thin bread soggy pretty quick but I do like some of the liquid on there yet it must be eaten immediately.
Eat with a meal and you should be safe as long as you don't have a specific problem with tomatoes. I had it with dinner last night and was fine but had it solo for lunch and felt sick, then I had it with dinner tonight and was not bothered by it.

BTW it is a little pet peeve of mine when people say bru'sh'etta, it is 'ske' bru'sch'etta like in SCHool. sorry.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bruschetta new
      #108140 - 09/24/04 08:44 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

I never knew it was pronounced that way!!! Good to know, thanks!!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

another tip new
      #108291 - 09/24/04 04:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

after you take the 'maters' and put in the oil, garlic, basil and a little vinegar you can turn that into salsa by adding hot peppers and some diced bell pepper and a diced purple onion (and cilantro if you like it- or more basil and some flat-leaf parsley). cool you got salsa!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

What is basil chiffonade... new
      #162336 - 03/19/05 10:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

and what is cracked pepper? Excuse my ignorance please

Thanks for the correction....I have been wondering how you pronounce brushetta (sp)...

sounds YUM! Hoping to make it tom!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What is basil chiffonade... new
      #162343 - 03/19/05 11:19 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

and what is cracked pepper? Excuse my ignorance please

Thanks for the correction....I have been wondering how you pronounce brushetta (sp)...

sounds YUM! Hoping to make it tom!

Basil Chiffonade :
Start with a fresh bunch of basil with good-sized crisp, shiny green leaves. Wash the herb if there is any grit at all and then pat dry with a terry or paper towel. Completely remove the leaves from the stems. Take 8 or so leaves and pile 1 leaf on top of another, the largest leaf on the bottom. Roll the leaf wad into a tight roll, starting from side to side. With a very sharp knife, carefully slice the leaf wad into 1/16- to 1/8-inch pieces, as if you were cutting a jelly roll. The result is a pile of basil "strips" which add wonderful flavor, texture, and color to your sauces. Basil chiffonade can be used whenever a recipe calls for fresh basil and is particularly good in tomato sauces served over pastas.

Basil chiffonade should be used when it is prepared. The basil will tend to turn brown if held for more than an hour or 2.

Cracked Pepper : is just whole peppercorns in a pepper mill that you turn and crack "grind" over your food.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review