All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Honey cake
      #104896 - 09/10/04 04:22 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Its almost rosh hashona.. and as people started posting honey cake recipes on my cake decorators list, I saw this one.. mom makes one almost hte same, but uses herbal tea because she never has black tea in the house.. the problem is I can't remember which type of tea... I'm going to try it substituting mint tea and egg whites instead of whole eggs.. but not until next week. I'll let you know how it comes out. Kree- do you think it will work?

HONEY CAKE
(Time consuming but worth it)
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
5 T oil
500grams Honey (or 8 oz for the Americans)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger powder
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
2 cups VERY strong black tea (6 teabags!), few teaspoons of tea reserved.

Beat sugar, eggs, oil, honey and spices for 5 minutes on high speed (for a Kitchen Aid mixer - make it medium speed for that time). Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the sifted flours and tea alternatively. Make a paste with the baking soda and reserved tea and fold in. Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and let rest 1.5 - 2 hours. Line and grease a 26cm round cake tin (imporant as cake is very sticky!). Pour in the mixture and bake at 170C (325F) for 1 - 1 1/4 hours, until centre springs back. Let cool in the tin for 2 hours. Remove from tin and cover with a kitchen towel and allow to cool completely. This cake is then freezable and in all honesty is even BETTER after frozen.

Note: This is the exact recipe I've got from a very old fashioned cook book. I have NO idea what the importance of the resting the batter and cooling for so long does, all I know is this is quite possibly the best honey cake I've eaten in my entire life so I don't want to mess around too much! Also a tip - microwave the honey for a few seconds to make it runnier and easier to get out of the jar/bottle.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Honey cake new
      #104931 - 09/10/04 08:45 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oooh, I was just thinking about honeycake with RH just around the corner....

I would suggest not substituting mint tea for the black tea - very different flavors there! Perhaps you could get some decaf black tea and use that instead? I swear by the stuff, and I just happen to have some at home for this recipe....

--AC, who needs to buy some honey ASAP!

#104940 - 09/10/04 09:56 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I thought even decaf black tea was a no no on this diet? if not- ooh! I'm off to pick some up so I can make this next week.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Decaf black tea new
      #105322 - 09/12/04 12:29 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I think some people are sensitive to the tannins in black tea, but decaf tea is not a trigger like decaf coffee. Inside of a honeycake, I think it would be ok for almost anyone.

--AC

#371386 - 08/23/14 09:24 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

If you are fructose intolerant, you don't want to consume honey.

Edited by sgcray (08/23/14 09:26 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review