All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Iced Tea/Cold Drinks Question?
      #10194 - 05/28/03 11:02 PM
TeaWoman

Reged: 01/29/03

I have a question about making iced tea. Also is there a difference in brewing tea on the stove and brewing "Sun Tea" outside? Since summer is pretty much here, does anyone have recipes for good, IBS safe iced teas? I know Heather has a few recipes in her cookbooks, but just was wondering if anyone had any of their own? My friend bought some Ginger Peach tea at Cost Plus World Market, but it was NOT decaffinated...ugh!

Also, Heather if you're reading this, if really cold drinks can stimulate the digestive system...how can we balance that fact with trying to stay cool and not aggravating our stomachs??? Does that make sense? I hope so! Please, any comments or helpful advice is very much appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Iced Tea/Cold Drinks Question? new
      #10200 - 05/29/03 06:02 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As to the brewing, I have no idea. I suspect there's little difference. I would guess that any decaf/caffeine free would make a great iced tea. Pick your favourite flavours and go nuts. Ginger peach is yummy - I agree. So is raspberry. I also have a regular decaf lemon tea that makes great iced tea.
You can also add sugar and lemon to bump up the flavour.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Sun tea new
      #10207 - 05/29/03 09:00 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Sun Tea is a haven for bacteria. According to the studies, the water doesn't get hot enough to kill any bacteria or insect "particles" that end up in your tea bag. Recommended use is to use boiling water to make your tea, then put it in the refrigerator to cool. I make two teabags in one cup of boiling water, than I fill a glass full of ice and pour the hot tea in which melts much of the ice to make a correct dilution.

#10210 - 05/29/03 09:18 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I have been meaning to experiment with iced teas to make up my own flavors. I'm thinking trying some regular decaf tea bags, with a mixture of herbals bags. Like for example, 3 reg decafs, 1 peach, 1 ginger. Or maybe no reg, just a mixture of herbals.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything!

#10221 - 05/29/03 12:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Cool drinks can be fine, it's just having ice cold drinks (especially on an empty stomach) that can cause GI muscle contractions and upset your digestion. For some people this just doesn't happen, and they can drink icy beverages without problem. For other folks they have to be quite careful.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10237 - 05/29/03 02:26 PM
Andie

Loc: Western NY

I have found that Numi Red Mellow Bush tea (naturally decaf) is the closest substitute to "real" tea - and I really miss "real" iced tea!!! I get it at the FeelRite store here. Also, I like Bigelow's Perfect Peach herbal tea over ice. I am not a big fan of herbal iced teas but I do like this one! Looking forward to those warm, iced tea days of summer!

#10357 - 05/31/03 07:44 PM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Hey Mags ol' buddy - I use my Mr. Coffee Ice Tea Machine. Works great for loose teas and bags (tea, that is!) I even add a tbsp of fennel seeds for good measure!

Just my 2 cents worth!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (05/31/03 07:45 PM)

Sharon!!! How great to see you! How are things going? -nt- new
      #10364 - 05/31/03 09:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Iced Tea/Cold Drinks Question?-PLEASE ANSWER SHARON! new
      #10367 - 05/31/03 09:21 PM
TeaWoman

Hi Sharon,
Hey can you post an example of any iced tea recipe you use with your coffee/ice tea machine? I don't own one of these...but I'll be looking around now...maybe on eBay!
Thanks for your response and help!!!

Re: Iced Tea/Cold Drinks Question?-PLEASE ANSWER SHARON! new
      #10381 - 06/01/03 06:19 AM
SharonMello

Hi Tea Woman - Wal Mart has the ice tea machines and probably at cheaper prices than most places.

I put a basket coffee filter in the basket of the tea machine, add one heaping teaspoon (a regular flatware teaspoon--not the measuring one) of fennel seed, 3 heaping tsp of mint or whatever herb you like, sugar (or you can add this as you drink it--I'm lazy so I do it all at one time). Let the tea steep about 10 minutes before moving the little notch up to drain the basket. Squeeze out the filter of extra tea and viola--there you have it.

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Sharon!!! How great to see you! How are things going? -nt- new
      #10382 - 06/01/03 06:23 AM
SharonMello

Heather - I think about all of you all the time--well not ALL the time, but a lot. I miss "talking" with everybody, but you know how it is when you have a mission...

Everything's going great except I'm always tired. My hands and arms hurt a lot, but that's to be expected. It's hard to sit up straight and hard to keep awake past 9 pm! But, it'll be worth it (I hope). Things are shaping up and I'll post a photo when the decorating is done. I think trying to figure out what merchandise to order is the most energy consuming thing I've ever done. So many neat and pretty things out there and so little money!!!!!

Thanks for asking.

--------------------
Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5890

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review