Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Syrian Potato Salad
      #100415 - 08/22/04 09:19 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Everyone,
I just made one of my life-long favorite recipes and realized I had to do NOTHING to make it IBS-safe, so I thought I'd share. Obviously if you are extremely sensitive to any of the ingredients, you can reduce the amount, but it is delicious as-is. And, even pre-IBS, I've always preferred it to traditional American potato salad. So here you go!

Syrian (or Middle-Eastern) Potato Salad

2lbs boiling potatoes (I use the small red ones)

1/2 c. parsley, chopped

1 medium onion, diced (optional but without it you miss a wonderful crunch. Use a mild onion such as vidalia. You can also nuke the chopped onion in the microwave for 40 seconds to kill the strength a little)

1/2 c. Lemon juice
1/2 c. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil the potatoes with their skins until tender. Do not overcook. Drain and allow to cool slightly. Peel and cut into medium cubes. Add the remaning ingredients and toss well. Tastes best a little warm or at room temperature. The potato pieces should basically hold their shape. If it comes out too mushy, you didn't let the potatoes cool enough before adding the dressing. This tastes wonderful the day you make it but is AMAZING after it has been refridgerated for a day or two. Enjoy!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Syrian Potato Salad new
      #211531 - 09/07/05 10:14 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I think I'm making this for a BBQ tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes

--------------------

#211534 - 09/07/05 10:29 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Seriously? Nuking the onion kills the strength a tad? Should I immerse it in water to cut the nip a tad?

Kate.

#211560 - 09/07/05 12:37 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I did make this on Monday and it was sooo good! It's so simple and i can't believe how much flavor it has with just lemon juice and olive oil!

#260400 - 04/27/06 11:55 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

This sounds absolutely yummy to me, and I am tempted to make it for a get-together next week. However, even with IBS, I am still one of the more daring diners in this bunch of friends. Anyone know how this recipe goes over with regular "meat & potatoes" and "the blander, the better" sorts of eaters? Or at least, people who think potato salad has to be loaded with mayonnaise?

This is my bring-to-everything dish new
      #260409 - 04/27/06 12:06 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I bring this and hummus to every barbeque and anything else that requires pot-luck. There are no unsual flavors -- just lemon juice and olive oil -- so it's universally well-liked. Make it a couple days before the event, taste it and see what you think. It's always best after a couple days of marinating. Let me know how it turns out!

--------------------
Amanda

Re: This is my bring-to-everything dish new
      #260437 - 04/27/06 02:00 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I agree.. its really good.

I'd make it a day ahead though.. it tastes better the next day

I've also made one from the recipe index that uses red wine vinegar and scallions.. that one was also excellent! it was a huge hit at a bbq with non ibsers!

--------------------

Re: This is my bring-to-everything dish new
      #260443 - 04/27/06 02:24 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

If I do make it, I'll make it Tuesday night and serve approximately 24 hours later.

The red wine vinegar recipe also sounds interesting. I'll have see if that's still in the index too.

Choices, choices!

#261783 - 05/05/06 08:12 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I was thinking of making this, but plugged it into a calorie counter and it's about 50% calories from fat. Yikes. What would this be like with less oil?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#261797 - 05/05/06 08:46 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You could probably reduce the oil somewhat and be fine, as long as you use a full-bodied oil. I really like Goya brand extra virgin olive oil. It's cheaper than all the fancy italian ones and soooo much better. (Incidentally, Italians get all their olives from Spain in the first place!) Keep in mind that if you pair the potato salad with an otherwise low-fat meal, you can bring your total calories from fat in that meal under 25%. The 25% rule applies to the meal, not the specific dish.

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9915

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review