All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shrimp Boil with Corn and Potatoes
      #100037 - 08/21/04 02:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I had to post a picture with this one, because it sounds REALLY good, but you'd never get that impression from the recipe title. This sounds like a good way to feed a crowd of people - not complicated, and definitely safe for us, if you use a little common sense (with the corn and potato skins). I can also see this being easily modified by using other fresh vegetables - just experiment with the cooking times.

2 lemons, halved
2 medium onions, halved
4 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a large knife blade
Salt
Spice Bundle (follows) or 1 packet commercial crab or shrimp boil whole-spice mix
3 lbs medium red potatoes, scrubbed
8 ears fresh corn, shucked & broken in half
3 lbs unshelled large shrimp, tail on

Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil in a 10-12 quart pot. Squeeze lemon juice into water, then add the halves. Add onions, garlic, salt, and spice bundle. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes.

Add potatoes to pot, return to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, 15-20 minutes. Add corn, continue cooking 5 minutes more.

Stir in shrimp, submerging them completely. Cover, and let stand till shrimp are cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Ladle 2 cups of broth into a glass measuring cup; drain the rest in a large colander, discarding liquid.

Divide reserved broth among small bowls for dipping. Transfer shrimp and vegetables to a large platter. Serves 8.

Per serving: 397 calories, 4g fat

Spice bundle:
1 tbsp crumbled dried bay leaves
6 whole allspice
3 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp dill seeds
1 tbsp red pepper flakes

Lay a 10" double-layer square of cheesecloth on a clean work surface. Put spices in the center. Pressing firmly, roll a rolling pin over the spice mixture until most of the seeds are cracked. Gather up edges of cheesecloth, twist tightly, and tie with kitchen string.

Edited by Heather (10/08/14 03:09 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shrimp Boil with Corn and Potatoes new
      #100131 - 08/21/04 07:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Cool- and a picture too! It reminds me of the big beach pot boiled meals they have in New England (that I have only seen pictures of) with the whole lobsters (like in Martha Stewart magazine).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Coincidentally... new
      #100187 - 08/22/04 06:46 AM
atomic rose

That recipe came from everyday food, which is a Martha Stewart magazine.

I've never had a boiled meal on a beach, but my mother firmly believes in eating well on camping trips, and I remember eating boiled meals of lobster, steamers, potatoes, and corn on the cob in the middle of the woods in Rhode Island. Other campers were VERY jealous. Heh.

#115309 - 10/23/04 11:59 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

OMG,that looks so damn good! But we can't eat the corn,can we?Too much insoluble fiber!Right?
Andrew L.

#115323 - 10/24/04 05:48 AM
atomic rose

Some people can eat it, some people can't, just like any other vegetable. Personally, I would make it as-is and just let everyone else eat the corn, but you could also skip the corn & double up on the potatoes, or substitute carrots, perhaps - it wouldn't be as summery, but it would still be good.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2355

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review