All Boards >> New Board! IBS Diet Question of the Day - Ask Heather!

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Have an IBS question you'd like to see featured? Ask it! new
      #373952 - 07/29/20 01:31 AM
Millie8

Reged: 07/28/20

Hi there. I am new to this as of yesterday, so if I'm asking this in the wrong place, please excuse me! IT is also not my strong point, so I'm glad to have gotten this far! I have very loose bowels and I think that stress and anxiety plays a part! I started to take the tummy fibre about 5 days ago. I started on 2 half teaspoons a day and then increased to 1.5 teaspoons a day. At the same time I increased fibre food intake - ryvitas, veggies and oat cereal and I have had dreadful tummy pains and diarrhoea. I'm feeling deflated, so could you please advise me on whether to cut out the cereal etc and just build up your fibre powder? Should I stick to 2 half teaspoons a day or increase? Sorry for the TMI and questions! many thanks, Millie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#373967 - 12/17/20 10:37 AM
MissAshey

Reged: 12/17/20

I have had IBS for about a dozen years. I was diagnosed this year. I stopped eating gluten, eggs and dairy about 8 months ago. I also stopped eating brown rice as well, not sure why. I tried switching over last night and I got the symptoms I associate with accidental gluten ingestion. I read some things about IBS and brown rice, should I avoid it? I have other issues with gluten free grains like buckwheat, sorghum, millet, flax and quinoa. I can tolerate white rice well in large amounts. I have not started the low fodmap diet though my doctor has advised it. I have already been overwhelmed with so much, but I am ready to take the next step!

#373968 - 12/17/20 04:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Make sure they ruled out celiac for you, if they did you don't need to go gluten free for IBS.

The insoluble fiber in brown rice can set off IBS - white rice is safest. Usually brown rice is a pretty tolerable whole grain, along with instant oatmeal, quinoa, polenta.

It sounds like the problem is with the insoluble fiber - see here for why https://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp

I would take the whole grains out until you are stable, stick to the white rice, rice noodles, peeled cooked root veggies, bananas, etc. from the safe soluble fiber list https://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

See here for FODMAP info, might not need to bother at all - https://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fodmap-diet-ibs.asp

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373969 - 12/17/20 09:39 PM
MissAshey

Reged: 12/17/20

Thank you! I will check out these links! I also tried your advice from your video about flares, I had quite a few cups of peppermint and fennel tea as well as white rice and I am feeling much better. Celiac has been ruled out, but I have fibromyalgia and for years my doctor had suggested gluten free. Once I tried it, I felt
amazing and when I have accidentally ate gluten since I felt miserable. The fodmap diet is so confusing and not consistent across all literature. Though, I do want to try it as I am still fine tuning my diet. I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities. Also, I had Covid 19 in March and I have never fully recovered. Neurologist and GP think I have some sort of post viral syndrome or CFS and my tummy has never recovered either! I am interested in your products and cookbooks! Thank you for your hard work and dedication! Be well!

#373973 - 01/25/21 08:00 AM
Ruslandia

Reged: 07/16/18
Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

I would like to know the effects and benefits of Sea Moss (Jamaican) <3

--------------------
Vegan, living in Amsterdam

#373987 - 06/07/21 05:40 PM
aball026

Reged: 06/04/21

I started on the first stage of the diet and am retaining quite a lot of water- enough for people to notice. The only other thing that’s changed is I stopped taking laxatives which although not abusing, I was using a few times a week to manage the IBS-C

Re: Surgery -- Medication Question new
      #373990 - 08/10/21 06:50 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you, Heather. I have definitely noticed a decline in what I can tolerate since my surgery. I've had to remove some things that I was tolerating before. Oh well. It's the story of my life. I stick to a strict diet and live each day to the fullest. On the plus side, my husband does his own cooking because he can't stand what I make.

Re: FODMAP Reintroduction new
      #373995 - 09/25/21 01:55 PM
Amaryllis7

Reged: 09/07/21
Loc: Pa

I don't know what happened when you tried re-introducing bread but I have been following a fodmap diet for a long time - created by a registered dietician who specializes in gut disorders and on her version of the low fodmap sourdough bread (even if it is wheat) is considered low Fodmap.

#373996 - 09/25/21 02:05 PM
Amaryllis7

Reged: 09/07/21
Loc: Pa

I have made the maple oat bread w/gluten free flour & I'm about to make it again. The first time I made it I substituted only tapioca flour for the egg white (I'm vegetarian & recently trying vegan again). It tasted wonderful but was crumbly and would fall apart when sliced. I then made the Banana bread recipe & substituted ground up chia seed & a little water (1 tbsp ground chia & 2 tbsp water = 1 egg white). This came out with a great consistency and later today I'm going to try the chia seed substitution for the oatmeal bread...substituting GF flour seems to work perfectly fine!!!

#374006 - 02/07/22 09:58 AM
Angela Calcaterra

Reged: 10/12/07

Hello, I'm new to the group and apologize if this issue has already been addressed, but I couldn't find in when I searched. I recently started taking Fosamax and it has triggered a bad case of IBS, which I have been successfully treating through diet and exercise for the past 40 years. Does anyone recommend probiotics and/or prebiotics, and, if so, is there a brand that you have found works best? I would appreciate any input you might share, and thank you in advance!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 97448

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review