All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hello from Nelly and Big Update
      #369889 - 07/30/13 01:03 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi everybody! It's been a long time, but I wanted to post to see if any of my old friends are around.

My life just went through a major overhaul. My doctor DIED. The one I've been seeing for 13 years and who was giving me my medicines for IBS-D. Heart attack, 60 years old. "No, Nelly, we can't fill any of your Rxs."

So that was Major Life Adjustment #1.

#2: As some of you know, Donnatal was discontinued this year. I went to every pharmacy I could find with my last Rx, and bought out all of their old stock. With no insurance, it cost me about $271 for 90 pills (3 months). I am cutting them in quarters.

So, no insurance, and I have to find a new doctor now. I got my records from my dear departed doctor, and for the first time, yesterday, I read all of my lab reports from 2000-2013.

It turns out my labs came back positive for Celiac disease in 2011. NO ONE EVER TOLD ME.

I'd been eating gluten-free only since the last past 6 months, to drop some weight. A lot of my IBS symptoms went away as a result! I figured out on my own through trial and error! Angry, mad, livid? All would have been excellent words to describe my temperament yesterday.

Major life adjustment #3: My beloved dog died after 8 years of faithful companionship. It's been a rough last month when all of this has happened, but I'm trying to eliminate stressors and move forward!

Lots of love to all my good friends on this board! I just wanted to post an update and if I can get across one thing: Please read all of your test results. I could have bought 2 years of less suffering from trapped gas, sharp extreme pains and violent D. 2 years I could have had this information.

This has been the closest to stable my IBS has been. The funny thing? I can't complain.

Love to everybody--

~nelly~

tl;dr (Nelly has Celiac, her doctor & dog died, has a steady job, and sends all her love to the old-timers and new IBS friends who've found this great site! )

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello from Nelly and Big Update new
      #369903 - 08/01/13 07:11 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Good to hear from you again. I check in once in a while, but not often. Glad you found out about the Celiac. At least now you know and can maybe get relief.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#369936 - 08/06/13 03:23 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I've been going GF for about a year now, particularly after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and have been feeling so much better, IBS symptom-wise, as well. Not diagnosed with Celiac Disease, but realize wheat is not good for me. How is it possible no one ever told you that you had Celiac Disease?!! That's crazy, and dangerous. Glad you are feeling better!

#369939 - 08/07/13 06:57 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hello Miss Nelly!!!
I'm so sorry about your dog I would be lost without my 2 Weims. Sorry about the doc too. I have had 3 docs in 18 months... one retired suddenly, no notice, one moved back down east to be closer to his child (or somewhere it's not winter 8 months of the year!) and finally, after coaxing and pleading and being turned down by others, I have a new doc.
I'm very disappointed that the doc didn't tell you that you have Celiac!!! OMG I am very happy you know now and that you are managing better. I still pop into the board from time to time but I don't post as much.
I'm a brain surgery survive - June 2010. I go to acupuncture and massage now and that helps not only my head and neck but also my IBS. I am eating things I never thought I could again - like egg whites! And I put weight on but that means I'm healthier and digesting food.
I miss your crazy antics in your posts. I hope you continue to do well!!!
Hugs!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review