All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Women- IUD/Mirena users?
      #341649 - 02/04/09 04:31 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Well, after a good year and a half of non-stop bleeding, my doc wants me on an IUD. I've tried every pill in the book and nothing is working. I had a D&C a month ago and that didn't work as well. I'm fed up and willing to try everything, but am worried about an IUD. I've never been pregnant, so usually they don't recommend that. I always heard you had to have a baby before they'd put one in. But, my doc says it's possible, but might be a bit more painful. Honestly, I'm scared out of my mind! Maybe I'm more of a baby, but I am scared how much it will hurt!
Does anyone use one? Any experiences to share? I was told that after 6 months, I shouldn't have a period at all and will be so glad I did it...but after on and off bleeding for a year and a half, I have little hope in anything! whew!
Thanks!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Women- IUD/Mirena users? new
      #341676 - 02/05/09 06:28 AM
LaurenS

Reged: 06/06/08
Loc: Alabama

Aly,

I'm on my second Mirena, with over 7 years of total use (each lasts 5 years). I had my first inserted after my son was born and it was just about painless for me, so I was really surprised when the second insertion hurt. It was kind of a sharp pain during the actual insertion and a dull ache for a few hours afterwards. My doctor's office gave me 3 Motrin right afterwards. You might ask if you could take something before hand. For me it was well worth the brief pain though. I had a bit of bleeding right afterwards, but after a few months I almost never had any bleeding -- or PMS or period cramps or hormone related IBS symptoms.

I do occasionally get a bit of bleeding, but nothing like a regular period. I just use a panty liner for a day or two. It's most likely to happen when I'm losing some weight.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Lauren

#341743 - 02/06/09 09:39 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Like you, I've never had children. I'm on my second IUD (the copper, not the Mirena since I can't tolerate hormones). I'll be frank, it was probably the worst pain I've experienced. But the worst was over very quickly (it couldn't have been too bad - I went and did it again! ). My doctor advised me to take 3 advil beforehand; also, it should be inserted during your period since your cervix is slightly opened and makes it a little easier, especially if you haven't had children. I had some cramping for about a day (no worse than with bad PMS). The convenience is totally worth it!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#341747 - 02/06/09 11:19 AM
Aly

vettech,
Thanks so much for the response. From what I've read online, you seem to be about the same. Considering I've been bleeding for a year and a half, I suppose pain for a few minutes would be worth it to actually stop!
How long did it take to get put in? I'm kind of a wuss with pain, I believe, so I'm hoping it's quick...
I cannot thank you enough for answering! I really appreciate it:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#341748 - 02/06/09 11:20 AM
Aly

Thanks Lauren!
I'm hoping this will help me, and although I'm quite nervous about getting it inserted, I bet it'll be well worth it.
Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-A

#341760 - 02/06/09 05:41 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Aly,

I don't have children, but do have a Mirena - my second in fact. I was recommended it after I had an ectopic pregnancy and my periods were all screwed up. I can't take oral bc - too many side affects.

I won't kid you, you will be uncomfortable for a few minutes during the procedure. But you can ask the dr. for a prescription which you insert to relax your cervix (sorry, I don't recall the name), plus take Tylonel before you go. I didn't pass out or anything, but I did lay and rest for a few minutes afterwards. I found bringing something to squeeze in my hand helped me focus on something else. I have virtually no periods, a little spotting occasionally - every 6 to 8 weeks. It is an awesome little piece of plastic!! If you decide to go through with it I hope you have just as much success as I have had.

Best of luck, I can't imagine what you feel like - a year and a half!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#341785 - 02/07/09 07:31 AM
Aly

Thanks!
I actually posted this here b/c I thought you had an IUD... so I'm glad you responded! I think I've come to realize that a few minutes of pain really will be well worth it. I have to get it inserted while on my period, so I cannot really schedule it until I am on it, but I might call ahead of time to discuss it. I was only told to take advil and nothing about something to soften the cervix. So we'll see.
Again, BIG thanks!

--------------------
IBS-A

#341790 - 02/07/09 12:27 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

The procedure was quick so the intense pain is very short lived. After that I just felt a little uncomfortable and crampy. I had no problem driving myself home. I just curled up the rest of the evening with a heating pad and a cup of tea. Not much different than a typical night, actually.

Considering that even pap smears make me cringe with discomfort, if I can do this anyone can!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#341899 - 02/10/09 08:37 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Aly-
I just had the Mirena put in November. The procedure was uncomfortable but not horrible. Take some Motrin before and after because you will have cramping. I just now stopped spotting since having it put in. But I also had really heavy periods so my doctor said that the process of thinning out the lining in my uterus might take longer. It did! But in reality it took only 2months. Which they say the average is 3-6months. I am hoping my periods will be lighter. I do like the freedom of having protection and not having to take something for it.

#341976 - 02/11/09 06:43 PM
Aly

Thanks so much!
I spoke with my doc today and even though I have to wait 2-3 weeks or some blood tests to come back, I can get it put in even without being on my period. I am anxious to get it in so I can get the 3-6 months of breakthrough bleeding over!!! a yr and a half is plenty by now!
Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8335

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review