All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
any singers or voice-users?
      #328357 - 04/17/08 05:41 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I need some advice. Does anyone hear sing for a living or use their voice to a level where it chronically hurts? I am a play/music teacher and sing 6 days a week. Throughout the past few months, my voice has begun hurting when I sing. I feel pain on the left side right behind my soft pallet. When I drink something cold, it swells up and feels like my throat is closing. It doesn't hurt nearly as much when I talk. The singing has gotten so bad that I could not teach my classes yesterday or today. I have an appt. with a doc this morning and will hopefully get some answers....or at least a refferal to an ENT. Anyone been through this?
Let me know and wish me luck. It's a scary thought knowing my career is kind of on the line right now...

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: any singers or voice-users? new
      #328381 - 04/17/08 09:33 AM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

I've been singing my whole life and am currently the music director/song leader at my church. I've never experienced what you are experiencing except when I have bronchitis

Good luck on your doctor visit and I hope they get to the bottom of this.

update new
      #328418 - 04/18/08 05:25 AM
Aly

well, i'm on vocal rest until my appt with the ENT on weds. My job involves TONS of singing and interaction with the kids...so I have no idea how I'll do my job. I have 2 music classes to teach this morning. And I have to do it b/c no one will sub for me. So upsetting. So we'll see...I guess we'll be dancing to CDs for 45 minutes...lol
Wish me luck... (I also do not have the personality NOT to sing or talk for 6 days!!!)

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: update new
      #328435 - 04/18/08 10:45 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

What instruments do you play? Can you play some of the tunes they know on recorder, harmonica even? So you can keep the tune going and be involved in the activity with them, as they sing.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#328455 - 04/18/08 04:25 PM
Aly

I actually play the harp. I recently bought a smaller harp to use in situations like this one. Today, unfortunately, I had some place to go afterwards and was unable to leave it in my car, so I couldn't bring it. The biggest problem I have is just leading everything without using my voice too much....I talked a lot this morning, but at least didn't have to sing, as the adults helped me out greatly! So today actually was OK. I now have all weekend to stay quiet and rest...or at least try to! Thanks for the advice...I should get a little recorder too, that was a great idea.

--------------------
IBS-A

#328466 - 04/18/08 07:27 PM
hawkeye

What kind of classes do you teach? I'm teach music too.

--------------------

#328473 - 04/19/08 05:59 AM
Aly

I teach 3 different kinds of classes. The first is a play based classes for ages 6 months to 3. We have a theme and we have all sorts of activities...but this takes place in a huge room that makes me be quite loud...not good. The last 15 min of that class involves all singing. Second class I teach is a music class. One is for ages 6 months-16 months and the other is 17 months- 3. I love the music classes, and we did all sorts of songs, instrument exploration, dances, etc. The last I teach is that I go into the preschools around town to teach the play based classes. So, for 3 hours, I see every child there and do a total of 12 classes...each getting 10-15minutes! It's a whirlwind!
What kind of music do you teach? Sometimes I wonder if I'd enjoy a 'normal' school based music teaching...

--------------------
IBS-A

#328544 - 04/20/08 05:35 PM
hawkeye

I left teaching in schools (i've taught pre k-9th grade) after many years to do similar work to you - parent&child early childhood classes, also a children's choir, prvt lessons. I don't miss anything about teaching in school except the salary. I hated being a part of a school to tell you the truth. I'm going to go plan my classes now. We should chat more about this and maybe trade some ideas. Hope you're feeling better soon.

--------------------

anxious new
      #328720 - 04/23/08 09:30 AM
Aly

My appt with the ENT is at 2:15 and I am nervous... therefore, the stomach cramps have begun! Stress is my number 1 trigger...blah. So I've taken an immodium and hopefully it'll all settle. I hate that feeling of having something so important to get to and worrying b/c my cramps won't settle down. I've gone to the bathroom like 5 times already, so hopefully I'm almost done...
I'll update after the doc does the scope to look at my vocal cords, but boy am I nervous about the results...

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: anxious new
      #328728 - 04/23/08 11:29 AM
hawkeye

Good luck Aly - nothing like anxiety to trigger ibs....

--------------------

the verdict new
      #328759 - 04/23/08 06:35 PM
Aly

is good! Turns out that coughing this chronically...like 4 months just really irriated my vocal cords. They're fine though--no real damage. Just to be super safe, he wants to do a CT on Friday and if that looks OK I'm going on some super hard core antibiotics and steroids. I said I have IBS pretty bad sometimes and he said to wait and do the CT first--nice doc!!
But oh boy did the anxiety get me. I almost lost it in the doc's office--we're talking 50 min of just sitting there. My sweet husband just held my hand and let me breath. I was going nuts, but my deep breathing worked very well. Thank goodness.
The scope they did wasn't terrible either, so I'm glad it turned out well. I'm going to attempt to teach my classes tomorrow morning. It's only 9-12, so hopefully I can get in and out quickly and rest my voice in the afternoon!
Thanks, hawkeye, for thinking about me! I know anxiety is rough on you too--any suggestions for how to deal in a public place, such as a doc's office? I wanted to bury my head and just cry!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: the verdict new
      #328772 - 04/24/08 06:20 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

You really don't want to hear me sing. Trust me.

But I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious for you.

Re: the verdict new
      #328779 - 04/24/08 09:24 AM
hawkeye

What a relief - i was very concerned it might be nodes on your vocal cords. As for anxiety, I've started meditating daily and am beginning to cope a little better. I don't have any quick fix suggestions because none of them have ever worked for me! Glad you made it through this okay.

--------------------

Re: any singers or voice-users? new
      #328781 - 04/24/08 09:41 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

From one singer to another, I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery! Keep us posted on any other tests. You'll be singing beautifully again soon, I'm sure...

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

today was better new
      #328795 - 04/24/08 12:18 PM
Aly

I was actually able to teach today! Granted, I took it easy and sang quietly and all, but I was able to do it! So that was a big step. I have a cat scan tomorrow to make sure it really is just my sinuses...but I believe it is. Still, trying to remain calm considering my anxiety yesterday got really bad! Wish me luck!
Thanks for all te well wishes!! Singing is something that comes to natural to me, that today when I was actually able to sing in the shower, everything felt 100 percent better!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4051

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review