All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Buspar or Lexapro - trying to decide
      #327693 - 04/02/08 06:51 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Due to current stresses in my life, my anxiety has been getting worse. Usually I can manage it with cognitive behavior therapy. My doc won't prescribe a benzo because I've been addicted to them in the past. She's recommending Lexapro, but she's open to the idea of me trying Buspar again. (I tried it before and felt dizzy from it, but that's all I remember.)

I'm so sensitive to meds that I'm reluctant to take any. But I need help. The anxiety is driving up my blood pressure. I don't want my D aggravated, and certainly don't want any nausea. I looked over previous posts on this site about these two drugs which was helpful, but wondered if anyone has some recent feedback. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Buspar or Lexapro - trying to decide new
      #327696 - 04/02/08 08:13 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'm taking Buspar, 15mg right now. I don't remember having side effects from it ever. I had terrible d from zoloft for about 3 weeks until my system adjusted to that, but I'm no longer taking it.
My new Psychiatrist, (just met him last week) says that
A. that isn't enough of a dose to do anything for most people (I don't think it has helped) and
B. that Buspar tends to be a very mild drug even if I were taking a higher dosage. He's recommending for me to try Prozac or else try going back to Zoloft again, both of which he said could help me with anxiety. Are you going to a psychiatrist or just a GP? I think it makes sense to speak to an actual psychiatrist, especially if you have a history with addiction. Sorry I don't have more info, but hope this helps a tiny bit.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#327707 - 04/03/08 09:01 AM
Digby

I'm seeing a psychiatrist. I was on Zoloft years ago and it was great for me until I developed night sweats and had to go off it. I tried it again, and immediately got the sweats. Sigh. I wish these drugs didn't have side effects, it just increases my anxiety.

I've heard that Buspar might not work. How long have you been on it?

Thanks for your reply.

#327714 - 04/03/08 10:53 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

3 yrs! At the low dose I'm on, it helped my ibs a little but not my anxiety and when I tried to increase to a more normal dosage, I had bad d and backed off and never tried again. Now I'm considering whether to follow through on switching to Prozac as my new doc has recommended.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#327750 - 04/03/08 09:18 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm on 25 mg of Buspar right now. Just increased it to 25 mg in January. Before that I was on 15 mg for almost three years. The increase has helped -- especially with everyday anxiety and obsessing thoughts that lead to panic attacks. I'm still having panic attacks though so I do take lorazepam for those episodes. The only side effect I've experienced is dizziness. I'm willing to increase it if necessary because I do feel that it's helping.

I haven't tried Lexapro before, but if you try a search I think Atomic Rose and a few others tried it and had positive results.

Re: Lexapro new
      #327797 - 04/04/08 02:34 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I'd go with lexapro. It has been great with me for anxiety. A little rough on the digestive system though - for me - others tolerate it well. Aside from pill form, it also comes in liquid. The liquid is absorbed in the stomach as opposed to the pill which is absorbed in the intestines. With the liquid the dose can also be titrated more. Now, I have a friend that Lexapro sent her through the wall with anxiety. Everybody is different. As for Buspar, tried it long ago, Never worked. Heard it was for "valium virgins." People who have never been on a benzo.

#327833 - 04/05/08 07:06 AM
AnalogGirl

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: NJ

Lexapro 10 mg has done wonders for my anxiety and IBS. I was going through a rough period when I was starting a new job and DH was back in school full time and the anxiety just started intensify.
I experienced some side effects for the first 2 weeks like fatigue and headache, but once my body adjusted, I have no side effects at all. It's an isomer of celexa, and they are able to get the same effect with less drug and therefore less side effects. It's been wonderful for me, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to side effects.

--------------------
IBS-C

Maria! Maria! - panic attack question new
      #327872 - 04/06/08 12:32 PM
Digby

I started at a low, low dose of Buspar three days ago and had a panic attack this morning. I haven't had one in a long time. True, I'm under stress and feeling overwhelmed, but I was wondering if Buspar could have triggered this. I read your post "Week 1" on Buspar, where you said you ended up in the hospital with a panic episode. Do you think it was related to the Buspar?

#327882 - 04/06/08 05:24 PM
eternally

Reged: 11/14/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Hi - I've been on Lexapro since Sept '05 and have found that it has worked for me. I do not feel as anxious as I have before going on Lexapro. I take 10 mg once a day. Because it has helped my anxiety I feel it has helped with my IBS as well (I'm a d also). But be advised that it could take several weeks before taking effect on your anxiety. It took 4 weeks for my depression to go away and another 2 weeks before I felt my anxiety lifting and another 2 weeks before I felt my anxiety was gone. My aunt recently went on Lexapro and she started feeling some relief after 2 weeks so everyone is different. I did have some slight side effects when I started taking it (metallic taste in mouth and hard time falling asleep - so I switched from taking it at night to taking it in the morning) but these side effects went away after a few weeks and now I have none. It may be worth a try. I would suggest reading up on it and getting some input from your doctor on it and then go with your "gut" (no pun intended) feeling. Good luck

Re: Maria! Maria! - panic attack question new
      #327885 - 04/06/08 08:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Well, my doctors said no, that it wasn't the Buspar. Looking back, I think I had just reached the peak of my anxiety and my IBS was really bad at the time. I think having to take the Buspar made me anxious too, so that just added to the overall anxiety I was already experiencing and unable to deal with. I didn't have lorazepam at the time because I was determined not to use such medications, but they gave it to me at the hospital.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 743 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review