All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
etiquette question
      #327521 - 03/31/08 09:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

As some of you may know, I make jewelry on the side. Its all sterling silver and swarovski crystal. I typically just display it and sell it at the office I work at. I just made up a whole bunch of new pretty things as my inventory was getting low because I was too ill to work on it. I plan to send out a letter and drop copies of it off at some of the local places by the office that I know people at.

I thought I would get some pretty paper and write up a thing saying that I have made up all this new jewelry, how it would be the perfect accessory for your spring wardrobe or for a mothers day or graduation gift, blah, blah, blah.

Also thank my boss for allowing me to display my wares at the office and while you are here, why not check out the new sunglasses we got in, yadda, yadda, yadda.

My hopes is to drum up enough sales to pay for my insurance cap on my medical treatments, which is $1500. Now, most people know that I have been ill and struggling and such. Would it be improper/rude/just not cool, whatever, to make mention that all proceeds from the jewelry sales will go to help pay for my medical treatments?? I really need the money but don't want to offend anyone or whatever. I am not the best at the PC stuff so thought I would ask what you guys thought. Cool or not cool?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: etiquette question new
      #327542 - 03/31/08 11:56 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I don't think I would mention it. People who buy the jewelry will do so because it sells itself. Plus you have done this before so it is kind of like a side business for you. So what you do with the money is your own business. Not only that you might get a lot of nosy unwanted opinions or questions. I've seen your jewelry and you will have no problem selling it!!

#327556 - 03/31/08 01:16 PM
michele

Thanks Angela!! I am hoping that after another infusion or two, I will have the energy to really get out there and sell it again!

--------------------

#327573 - 03/31/08 04:37 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hmmm, tough call!

If it were me, and I live in a small city, I would say the proceeds go to the "Cure Michele" campaign. I guess a lot would have to do with how well you know the places you would be dropping off the notices and their understanding of the situation.

I see it a lot at craft shows - proceeds to the "Cory Smith" fund, the "ABC trust", and then the registered charities too. There were even 2 girls making jewellery to help pay their friend's family with living expenses while she was in Toronto Sick Kids for treatments.

If you are able to think of a descrete way to say it might be okay - not just "to pay my medical bills".

If it was up to me, I'd do it. You might get more sympathies that way and people do tend to reach for the pocketbooks more when there is a cause involved. In this case it just happens to be you!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#327586 - 03/31/08 07:55 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

When I see something for sell that says "proceeds go for medical treatments" or such and I know that it's the truth I will usually buy something. But if I think it's just a con I keep walking. Hope that helps some.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#327595 - 04/01/08 06:49 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I agree with Angela.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: pictures of jewelry new
      #327620 - 04/01/08 11:56 AM
michele

My thing is jewelry, not photography so the pictures are not the best!!!! I think this link should take you to the photobucket album and you should be able to click on any photo to enlarge it. That is if I have evolved enough to use basic computer skills!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/michelebrake/jewelry/?start=0

--------------------

They're gorgeous, Michele. Wow! -nt- new
      #327621 - 04/01/08 12:01 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#327645 - 04/01/08 05:46 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Your jewelry is beautiful!

As for your question I agree with what Angela said. I also wouldn't mention it. I think in the long run you want your jewelry to sell because people like it. Plus, as was mentioned, people would get very nosy and I think they'd have the right to be. If I saw a sign that just says "proceeds go to medical treatments" I would think that it's very vague and wouldn't believe it and I would definitely ask questions . If I didn't get my answers I would just think this is some sort of a "fake charity" or something.

As I said originally, your pieces are gorgeous and I don't think you need any explanation as for why people should buy it !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: pictures of jewelry new
      #327663 - 04/02/08 06:55 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

These are beautiful! Do you ship them? I would love to purchase one, maybe more, for my bridesmaids to wear! Do you have a website where I can order them?

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3974

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review