Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
update from two couches - new meds
      #327356 - 03/27/08 08:37 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hi everyone,

I went to a new psychiatrist today. I'm going to try prozac and gradually will be going off of the buspar which never did much for me (buspar's an anti-anxiety med), and he also gave me valium to take as needed for panic attacks. Thats a change from the xanax which was giving me d, about half the time. I really don't want to be on any more drugs but as I'm having such a hard time while in therapy, I've decided to try. I've also gone back to meditation, in an effort to work towards not being on these drugs for anxiety my whole life!
Therapy is going well, but its so hard. Twice a week - and getting in touch with a lot of squashed emotions held onto since childhood. It has not been fun to say the least. This week though, I've had a couple days where I felt stronger than I've felt in recent memory my anxiety/phobia. It doesn't last but its amazing to experience that at all.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: update from two couches - new meds new
      #327370 - 03/28/08 07:08 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Glad to hear you are going to try some new medications and you seem to be at least making some progress. Therapy is hard but so worth it when you are able to work through your issues. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#327410 - 03/28/08 03:26 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

It's great you're still hanging in there with the therapy. I'm hoping the new meds will help and you will cross another hurdle. It's good to know you are noticing you're stronger. That's good!!

Hugs!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: not good tonight new
      #327427 - 03/28/08 11:30 PM
hawkeye

I'm having really painful cramps tonight. I feel as though I'm punishing myself somehow for believing I'd made progress! As I realized that I was doing a little better this week, I got really scared by the feeling of less fear. Because it made me feel unprotected I guess. I know this does'nt make sense, but here I am, at 230am with terrible cramping. So far I've been able to face it without the panic arising, but I feel it starting to creep up on me quickly now. Trying to breath and use my new strategies for coping with the pain without freaking out. Okay just took a walk around the apt. and also a hyosciamine. Keep thinking about the last time I had a stomach bug and "got sick", and how the cramps were really bad just like this. Hopefully this will pass. I heard in detail about a sick friend tonight, with ibs and other issues. I think that may have set me off on the path to this attack.
I'm trying to remind myself that:
Whatever happens, no matter how much I may not like how I feel, I have the ability to get through it.
I've gotten through a lot of pain in my life, this is one more time and I will survive this one too.
There are people who love me who will help support me through whatever I'm experiencing.
That no one likes to feel this way, that I just react to it more strongly than others because of my history.

*** Please send hugs! Bleah!

--------------------

Edited by hawkeye (03/28/08 11:43 PM)

#327428 - 03/28/08 11:42 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hugs, Hawkeye!

I think I know what you mean about feeling scared about less fear. Fearing things sort of makes me feel in control; so if I'm aware of everything that could go wrong, then I'm prepared and not taken by surprise.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing a good job using your coping techniques and that you're making progress with your doctors and meds.

Hang in there tonight! You'll get through it! And if you're struggling, it's okay to take some Valium. It will help to physically calm your body down and let you regain/reset your thoughts.

Hugs!

#327429 - 03/28/08 11:44 PM
hawkeye

Maybe I should. I just took the hyosciamine for the cramps, I don't think I want to take both at once? I've never taken valium before, and when I get like this, I'm scared to even take something that should help. Not sure what to do yet.

--------------------

Re: update new
      #327467 - 03/29/08 08:36 PM
hawkeye

I took the hyoscyamine, and then after a while I actually did some sitting meditation (with hot pack on my tum). I certainly was anxious but I managed to not go into full panic, for which I'm really proud. The cramps were really terrible last night, not sure where they came from - just over anxiety or what? Much much worse than my usual. Anyway, after the meditation ended because I had basically fallen asleep sitting up, I snoozed on the couch for 2 hours and then finally crawled into bed at 530am. I'm feeling a bit drained today from it all but managed to have a good day. Thanks for your support everyone.

--------------------

#327494 - 03/30/08 04:07 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Hawkeye,

Glad you got a little rest and are hopefully feeling alright today. I'm proud you didn't let your panic take over!! One step at a time right!

Take it easy!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#327517 - 03/31/08 08:48 AM
hawkeye

Thanks, and glad your drive went well, despite the excess of toast! We both faced some fears this weekend!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review