All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Childhood medications linked to IBS?
      #326500 - 03/12/08 10:11 AM
missamber

Reged: 12/16/06

I haven't posted in a while because my life has been incredibly busy and my tummy has been doing pretty well. However, I recently read an article (somewhere on the internet and I wish I had kept the link!!!) that many people who had a heart surgery as a child in the 80's now have stomach issues. The article linked heart medication to IBS. It kind of makes sense to me, but I wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this theory. I was on some form of digitalis for quite a few years and developed tummy issues in my late teens. Has anyone heard of medications causing a long term effect like IBS? Please let me know. I think this theory may have some truth behind it. Also, if I can find the stinking article online again, I will post it!
Thanks!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Childhood medications linked to IBS? new
      #326504 - 03/12/08 10:48 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I haven't heard anything about this, but I was also on Digitalis for a few years in my early childhood before I had heart surgery. I also developed IBS as a teenager, but I thought it was triggered by a bout of gastroenteritis. However, I always had a "nervous" stomach growing up. I'll have to look up this article, although I'm not sure that knowing what caused the IBS would help -- unless they've come up with someway to undo the damage! Thanks for the info!

#326507 - 03/12/08 11:16 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hmmm. I had open heart surgery at the age of 20 months - May of 1980. I don't remember ever having to take any specific heart medications though. I've occasionaly wondered if all the antibiotics I had pumped through my body during the surgery had anyting to do with my tummy troubles now. I was diagnosed with IBS at age 17, but remember having symptoms as early as 12, if not sooner. My mom also said I had a lot of yeast infections as a child.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326516 - 03/12/08 02:52 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

You are right about the antibiotics. Using them, even once in your life, can cause a fungal overgrowth, which can be a cause of IBS symptoms. Antibiotics are fungal poisons. Add to that the Standard American diet that feeds the fungus (sugars/grains), it's no wonder we have so many health issues.Yeast infections as a child may be a clue that I might have fungal issues. Tests done in a doctor's office won't pick it up. Have you ever experimented with an antifungal program to see if your symptoms got better? It was the only thing that helped me...that and probiotics.

#326518 - 03/12/08 03:42 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I did the Atkins diet for exactly one year - from Aug. '03 to Aug. '04. It's not quite the same as the fungus diet but pretty close - no sugar, no grains, etc. Even though it was a high fat diet, I actually felt GREAT. It made my C worse but the gas and bloating virtually disappeared, and from what I remember my D got a lot better too. I just got SO bored with it after a while. I went on a 2-week long vacation in Aug. of '04, fell off the wagon completely, and just never got back on.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review