All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: My food tour of New York ruined!!! new
      #324119 - 02/05/08 10:30 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Oh my goodness, Erilyn! That must have been pretty scary being on a subway!

I am an Aussie and I too yearn to go to Italy and do the whole pasta, pizza, COFFEE, gelato, COFFEE, Gnocchi, COFFEE thing. Can you tell I kinda like coffee??

Thank you all so much for your replies. If it's any consolation, the Italian restuarants we have here also overdo it on the cheese and stuff.
The Italians generally use subtlety and only a light sprinkle of parmesan on some dishes. The western-ized versions are very different and far fattier.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What about eggs in pasta? new
      #324440 - 02/10/08 03:01 PM
amk671

Reged: 02/10/08
Loc: Maine

I'm planning a trip to Italy in the fall and I am wondering whether or not I can eat the pasta. I always use NoYolks or rice pasta because I didn't think Heather recommended regular pasta becuase it was made with eggs. Am I imagining this?

--------------------
Chocolate and puppies, what's not to love?

Check out my blog for recipes:
http://mainegardengirl.blogspot.com/

Re: What about eggs in pasta? new
      #324470 - 02/11/08 08:43 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Regular pasta is perfectly safe! It is only egg noodles that are made with eggs.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: My food tour of New York ruined!!! new
      #324587 - 02/12/08 01:21 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Go to SLICE on the Upper East Side for Pizza. They have soy cheese and rice cheese, and the pizza is delicious.
Slice

Go to Pick a Bagel for a bagel and soy cream cheese. They are all over the city, and they are very good. Pick a Bagel

Go to Franchia on 35th and Park for amazing soy cheesecake. Their entire vegan Korean menu is amazing, but the soy cheesecake really is to die for. Franchia

I eat the pretzels all the time with no problem. They are basically all SF -- it's just bread, really.

As for the hot dogs ... I can't really help you except to say that they aren't that great, and even if you didn't have IBS you wouldn't want to eat the hot dog that the scary man fishes out of the vat of water that was changed ... when? Not worth it, IMO.

Do you like Mexican? Burrito Box on 57th and 9th has soy cheese and tofu sour cream. You still need to go easy because who knows what the fat content is, but it is non-dairy all the way. Burrito Box Lunch Box, across the street, has great sandwiches with avocado and sprouts, etc. Same website.

NY is a great place to live and visit, even if you have special dietary needs. There is everything here -- you just need to know where to look.

Also try Westerly Natural Market on 9th ave and 54th street for all of your IBS-safe staples. For a long time, they had "oat cream" non-dairy ice cream. I haven't been over there in a while but I think they still have it. Westerly

Of course, we have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and a million other little grocers that carry organic and specialty foods. You'll be just fine!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Soy Cheesecake new
      #324602 - 02/12/08 03:08 PM
Erilyn

Quote:

Go to Franchia on 35th and Park for amazing soy cheesecake. Their entire vegan Korean menu is amazing, but the soy cheesecake really is to die for. Franchia

Seriously??? You just made my day. Now I wish there was a LOCAL place that made soy cheesecake... maybe there is and I just haven't found it!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Re: Soy Cheesecake new
      #324659 - 02/13/08 12:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Have you tried making Heather's "Better than Cheesecake"? It's quite good.

--------------------
Amanda

#324665 - 02/13/08 01:33 PM
Erilyn

No, not yet. I don't have a food processor and my blender isn't very powerful (the blades spin uselessly if I make anything thicker than a frozen drink!) I'm trying to convince my hubby that the first purchase for our new kitchen (we're planning on buying a house in a few months) will be a good food processor!

--------------------

#324770 - 02/14/08 03:24 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You shouldn't let that stop you. I got a fairly good blender for like $30 three years ago. It can handle most small food processing jobs really well. I can't remember the brand, but the model is the "wave station" -- it has a little spout for smoothies too (which is a pain to clean). It's also not diswhasher safe, but I didn't have a dw at the time so I didn't care.

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 741 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7010

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review