All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My food tour of New York ruined!!!
      #323909 - 02/04/08 08:22 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

I have always dreamt of going to New York and eating my way through coffee, bagels with cream cheese, PIZZA and New York hot dogs, pretzels but now....I can't see that happening with the IBS!

It's so sad. Food is my life and coffee I love so much. Giving up the deliciousness of these foods is very hard and I fear I'll never get to have my food tour of New York.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My food tour of New York ruined!!! new
      #323911 - 02/04/08 08:40 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I know how you feel – it was my dream to someday tour Italy and France and enjoy all the food and drink that goes with it. Guess I won't be able to do that now. Going out and cheating at a restaurant is one thing, but possibly making myself sick on the other side of the world is quite another.

I went to New York City in 1998 with my sister and best friend. We only went for 3 days, we were under-age, and we were poor university students with no money. We lived on hot dogs and McDonalds. We never got to try any of the real New York fare – unless you count the hot dogs – which WERE actually quite good! But I did get sick one day – I remember sitting on the subway coming back from the Statue of Liberty hoping and praying that I would make it back to the hotel… ugh.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323924 - 02/04/08 10:20 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

You know, I think a while back someone posted about a pizza place in New York that used soy cheese, so all may not be lost.

#323930 - 02/04/08 10:43 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Erilyn, I went to Italy last year and I'm going again in a few weeks. I was also worried about the food but I was really fine. I ate lots of fish and seafood, always picked meals without cheese, fresh baked bread, potatoes, pasta, fruits... The only thing I was sad about not being to eat was ice cream. I was even able to have a real Napoli pizza right in Naples . I just ordered one that had safe ingredients and asked them to hold the cheese. Except for the ice cream I didn't feel like I had to limit my options.

So I think traveling can be done, just focus on the things you can eat and enjoy !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323938 - 02/04/08 11:14 AM
Erilyn

OMG that is so reassuring! I just think about restaurants like the Olive Garden that are supposed to have these Tuscan-inspired menus and I freak. EVERYTHING is loaded with oil and cheese. You of course wonder how much of it is "westernized" but then again, you wonder how much of it isn't. I bought a cookbook called "The Mediterranean Vegan" in December, and while everything is dairy-free, most of it is far from low-fat. The author says you can reduce the oil called for in most recipes by a little, but anymore and you would start to lose that "authentic Mediterranean flavour".

I was picturing myself having to lug along boxes of instant rice and pouches of instant oatmeal if I ever actually got to go…

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Re: Italy new
      #323945 - 02/04/08 11:50 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

It has been some time since I went to Italy, but the food there was so simply, so fresh and sooooo good. Everything was ala carte. You ordered exactly what you wanted. First dish - usually a pasta, rice or soup. Second dish - meat, fish, chicken. If you wanted vegetables or salad it was separate. I would usually order either first dish or second - never both and a vegetable or salad. We never went to the Americanized restaurants that gave you a full course meal. I loved the food and never got sick. I did stay away from the gelato. My husband had one every chance he could. Plus there is so much to see and do that food isn't everything. American versions of Italian food, especially at restaurants like Olive Garden are way off base. My stomach curdles just thinking of their weird concotions of cream, cheese, sauces, chicken and whatever else they throw in.

#323952 - 02/04/08 12:24 PM
Erilyn

Quote:

You know, I think a while back someone posted about a pizza place in New York that used soy cheese, so all may not be lost.

Well I only wish someone would come up with an acceptable dairy-free substitute for Eileen's Special Cheesecake in New York City! I didn't try it while I was there, but a friend of mine used to date a courier driver who came back from NYC with one one time and oh my GOD it was the creamiest, most melt-in-your-mouth concoction I have EVER tasted...

--------------------

#323956 - 02/04/08 12:26 PM
Erilyn

Thank you Suzie, that does give me hope!

--------------------

#323979 - 02/04/08 03:10 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I couldn't agree more with Susie. I think it's a kind of like American Chinese food and real Chinese food. Here it's just loaded with fat and all the bad stuff.
I guess traveling might be easier "mentally" for someone like me (a C) because I don't have to worry about finding a toilet. But I didn't even get the usual pain that comes after I eat something forbidden. Like Susie said, the food was so fresh, simply prepared, there was tons of fresh bread everywhere so I could just have that if I didn't want to eat the side dish (like if the potatoes came fried, etc.). You'll be fine !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323982 - 02/04/08 03:31 PM
Erilyn

It is amazing how reassuring it is to hear this from people who have BEEN there and experienced the food first hand. I may never make it there, but at least I know that if I do, I should be okay food-wise. Thanks ladies!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7004

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review