All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Hawkeye - re wife new
      #322089 - 01/09/08 07:01 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Lisa, What you said about not telling actually makes sense, even though I usually try not to hide a thing from my wife. In this case, I always feel as if I'm acting out some childhood drama - seeing if she'll accept and comfort me when I'm feeling panicked and somewhat helpless. It never feels healthy, and its never satisfying either (!) because she doesn't get it, and even when she tries she still makes it clear that she's not fully understanding of why I can't get past this. So why continue? It doesn't help either of us. I'm going to try what you said, but not tonight as I already shared my current state with her.
Thanks.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: panic panic blah blah blah an attempt not to post the same old sh&* new
      #322112 - 01/10/08 08:58 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I understand what you are going through. I get anxiety alot, too. I try real hard to think about something peaceful, etc., but it's hard and my mind always seems to go back to my stomach and "what if?" thoughts. I hate it. Just know we all understand and are going through the same thing. {{{hugs}}}

Re: Hawkeye, germ-phobes and anxiety new
      #322145 - 01/10/08 03:03 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hawkeye,I know exactly how you feel. All someone has to say is stomach flu and I am immediately nervous. I've gone without eating because someone around me had the stomach flu. And youre right, no matter what the symtoms are... sore throat... for whatever reason stomach flu is the first thing that I start freaking out about. I wonder why any of this is! I never used to be like this... ever! I've always worked with kids and was never such a germ-a-phobe. I dont know what changed in me. Maybe its the IBS? Did the anxiety come from having IBS? I dont understand any of it.

I am also really sorry to hear about your friend and your accident. And like you said and LMo said... when we worry like this the quality of life just sucks. I dont want to be like this anymore, but its hard to change. Maybe I should see someone. Its just good to know that I am not the only one who feels like this. I also try to remember that serenity prayer- accepting the things we cannot change. There is nothing we can do about it... if we get a stomach bug.. we get one. We can only wash and sanitize our hands so much (mine bleed because I do it so much!). And like LMo and Aly said... we know it will be over and in about a day we will feel much better, but for some reason our minds dont work like that. Argh. Hope youre both feeling better!

Stefanie

Re: Hawkeye new
      #322146 - 01/10/08 03:46 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey, the reason it sounds like I understand is because I do!! I was a teenage mess for a number of years. Lots of counselling and ADs (not good when you're a teen) and lots of fits and crying and stomache aches and closing myself into my own little world for a while - I get what you're going through!! The best thing to remember is YOU CAN GET THROUGH THIS!!

And that's why we're here - remember "I get by with a little help from my friends..."

HUGS!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

little bit better today new
      #322159 - 01/10/08 07:27 PM
hawkeye

I've got a cold or something but I'm doing a little better anxiety-wise. This afternoon my daughter, who has been a TERRIBLE two lately, crawled in my lap and cuddled for about 10 minutes. I just felt something inside me soften, and even felt different in my thoughts immediately somehow. After that i went to work, and was fine and continue to be a bit better. Its not gone, but its better somehow. I guess I needed a 10 minute hug!

Thanks everyone, all of your posts have helped too, for me to not feel alone in this. I'm going to be more active about tracking down a therapist, and will keep everyone posted I"m sure.

--------------------

Re: little bit better today new
      #322182 - 01/11/08 08:49 AM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better, hawkeye.
I made an appointment yesterday with a psychologist for next Tuesday, so we'll see how that goes. I'm feeling motivated. But she did mention medication on the phone, and that's something I'm not comfortable with. I'm afraid of side effects, afraid it'll make me sick or make me gain weight. She seemed content to know it was anxiety and ocd, and said that there's alot of successful therapy for people with those problems. I kept thinking, well you haven't met me yet...! Still, I 'm hopeful.

Re: little bit better today new
      #322184 - 01/11/08 09:52 AM
hawkeye

Thanks. Today is sort of half and half. yesterday I felt a little better. I need to try therapy again, I've already done a ton though, and I'm on an anti-anxiety med, but obviously its not doing the trick! I'm trying to track down a good cognitive-behavioral therapist. I've already done more traditional therapy, where I dug deep into the causes of this and understood them, I think, but understanding the root of it didn't help change my reactions like it does for some people.

--------------------

Re: panic panic blah blah blah an attempt not to post the same old sh&* new
      #322257 - 01/13/08 12:13 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Please don't feel like it's the same cr*p when you vent! We hear every word. Before I have an attack I stress like mad, but nothing close to what you're describing... Have you tried provoking a stomach attack to get it over with? IBS is very time consuming and inconvenient (to say the veeery least). I sometimes provoke an attack when it interferes with other commitments, like my bedtime! No use being up in the middle of the night for hours, when I can give myself an attack at 4pm and get it out of me. Maybe tho it's a D thing. Empty is better! Then I can overload on antispasmodics and pain relief and be safe (relative to being a loaded gun) before I go to bed. {{{HUGS to you!}}}

~nelly~

Re: Stomach flu... Aly- can you help me, its my turn to have it now! new
      #322302 - 01/14/08 09:21 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Aly,
I unfortunetly came down with the stomach flu this past Saturday night. My main symptom has been major cramps and lots of bad "d". So this is day 3 and I still have some "d". So I am wondering, did you have "d" with your stomach flu and if so did you take imodium? I was wondering if I should, but I was also wondering if that would be a bad thing because I was thinking that the "d" is my bodys way of flushing out the virus so if I take imodium and stop the "d" is that just going to prolong my virus? Argh, this was the last thing I needed! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This has been a very different kind of stomach bug for me, so I kinda dont know if I should try to resolve it or just suck it up and let it run its course, but I dont want to miss another day of work. Thanks for your help!

Stefanie

Re: Stomach flu... Aly- can you help me, its my turn to have it now! new
      #322331 - 01/14/08 02:35 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi Steffie...
Boy do I feel your pain! So, I had horrible nausea and vomiting for one day/evening and then had D the next day. I let the D go for about a day and a half and then finally gave in and took an immodium, as I was supposed to go out with some friends. It helped the cramping and D a whole lot and I was glad I took it. However, that was on Thursday evening. Today is Monday and I FINALLY just had a BM. And this BM came with horrible cramping and stomach pains on and off all day... But the D was so bad I really needed the relief from the immodium. So, I am for taking it and feeling like getting some sanity back in my life. My Mom is a nurse and always says that if the D really needs to come out, one immodium certainly won't stop it....so that always makes me feel like I'm not stopping the virus.
Hope this helps at all...it's so difficult to deal with this when IBS is already in our lives!!! Let me know how you are feeling.
The plus of this whole mess is that I ended up losing about 5 lbs and still don't have much of an appetite! lol
Alyson

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17578

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review