All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Root Canals..
      #320448 - 12/11/07 03:20 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I am totally freaking out.. I have been scared of going to the dentist all my life because they have already put me through alot of pain... So.. After 10-12 years of not setting foot in the place, I did today and turns out.. Things are much worse than I thought..

What I thought was just a caviety bugging me turns out to be.. My gums receeding, my bones receeding AND I'm being sent 2 hours away to another city to have some tests done and more than likely (95% chance) of having at least one root canal done maybe more... I'm so scared right now.. Not to mention the over all cost.. I have coverage through my work and my husbands but they still want the money up front.. I don't have a few thou to drop down just like nothing.. eep...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Root Canals.. new
      #320454 - 12/11/07 06:30 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh sweetie, I feel for you!!
I've had 2 root canals, and the dentist is not my favorite person either.

Ask the dentist you're being referred to for an estimated cost. Also ask if they can pre-submit to your insurance company for approval. Certain insurers will pay right away then so you can have the procedure done. If that's not an option, ask if you can pay in installments.

My first RC was NOT covered as we hadn't been insured long enough. I forked out over $900. (It was a 4 root molar with complications) It took me almost a year to pay for it, but the dentist was okay with that (but I paid interest).
My second was covered and only $230. WHEW!!!

I wish you all the best for your toophies!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#320460 - 12/11/07 08:14 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Ugh! I've had 2 root canals and neither one hurt me physically, only financially. They were uncomfortable becasue of how long I had to keep my mouth open, but that and the pinch of the novacaine being put in were truly about it. I don't know how yours would be, but at least know that there is a possibility that it won't actually be bad. As for payment, I also had a dentist who allowed me to pay over time, you may need to ask for other referrals to find someone who will do that for you. (or at least put it on a credit card)

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#320516 - 12/12/07 01:06 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've had one, and it wasn't as bad as I'd feared physically.

The periodontist was a jerk, though.

Remember to stick up for yourself new
      #320594 - 12/13/07 09:44 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

They'll give you Valium if you ask for it. One for the night before and 1 for right before you come in.

Personally, I'll take 4 ativan, 3 vicodin and an ambien before I even come within the smell of the waiting room, and pop vicodin on the side whenever the dentist's back is turned. But that's just me!!!!!

I've been to the dentist 9 times this year, had 2 oral surgeries and am still not done on ONE tooth (overkill, I know).

Just remember, you are the ADULT. You get to tell him what YOU need. You don't have to feel like a CHILD when you ask for pain management. You can call a day later and tell him your jaw hurts and ask for a round of codeine. Don't be scared about pain.

~nelly~

#320616 - 12/13/07 01:33 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Check out carecredit.com. It's basically a credit card for health & dental costs. You'll pay interest on it, but at least you won't have to worry about coming up with $1000 all at once.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Re: thank you, new
      #320623 - 12/13/07 02:56 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Thank you, you guys for the advice and wisdom.. I went there yesterday just to have some cleaining done and they managed to only do five teeth because my mouth was so sore, I'll have to go in for two more apts and that's not going to be pleasant.. Apparently there is a lot of calcium build up that has to be scrapped off.. it's not a happy thing, I managed to get some off myself (before the dentist gave me [censored] for doing it myself) but at least it was less painful..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2344

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review