All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I know what's causing my IBS!
      #310157 - 06/29/07 11:25 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It's dang female hormones!

Let me explain. About 3-4 years ago, I was in constant pain with IBS-C (major bloating, tummy pain and C). Then several years ago, this all gradually got better, until it just disappeared. I mean I could eat anything (even raw broccoli without a problem). This always puzzled me, as to why I had such a big IBS problem and then it went away.)

Fast forward to recently.....I started having menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, insomnia, painful intercourse.) I went to the ob/gyn who tested my hormones and said, to my surprise, that I was almost finished with menopause!!!

So she says, "We can easily fix this!" And she gives me a birth control pill, Yaz, to take. Well, I started the pills on Monday. The first couple of days, I had loose bowels and lots of rumbling in my tummy. By mid-week, I had full-fledged IBS AGAIN!!!! (constant tummy pain, major bloating, hard belly, and C).

I was reading online last night that when women approach menopause, and thus their hormones reduce, they experience improvement (if not, disappearance) of their IBS symptoms.

So this is why my IBS went away in the past several years? And why, now with the pumping of hormones into my system, it has returned with a venegance?

Needless to say, I have discontinued the pills. This IBS problem better go away as the hormones get out of my system! I'm not going down this road again! Not with hot flashes too!

There is not much research being done on the affect of hormones on IBS. Guess this explains why many more women than men have IBS.

Sorry, but I just needed to vent!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oh this gives me hope!!! new
      #310169 - 06/29/07 01:25 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Seems like hormones have been the talk the last few weeks. I'm turning 40 and can actually say if my IBS goes away after menopause I will welcome the age of 50 with open arms!!! I've suffered so long and have missed out on so many things in life with my IBS that I can't wait for my life to start without IBS! I hope that all this speculation about IBS going away after menopause works for me! It does make sense though. Glad you stopped taking the YAZ. Heck I would have done the exact same thing!!!

Thanks for the lift in my day!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: I know what's causing my IBS! new
      #310339 - 07/03/07 05:12 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Makes sense to me! Immediately following the birth of both of my children, my IBS completely disappeared. I brestfed my first for three months and am currently nursing my four-month old. I was IBS-free for seven months after my first (all came back when I went to work at the end of those seven months). I'm still symptom-free right now.

Good luck with managing your menopause. I've read that clary sage essential oil can help with symptoms.

--------------------
~jules

#310415 - 07/04/07 02:09 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Wow! That's so cool! And I toooootally agree-when my hormones are out of whack, as in right now, yep, my IBS is bad. I noticed when i went off the PILL it got better. i'm going off again. Screw this.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#310527 - 07/05/07 04:36 PM
Melanie07

Reged: 07/05/07

I have felt the same! The week before and the week after my period are the worst for my IBS-D symptoms. My doctor wants to put me on the new pill-Seasonale, where you don't get a period for 3 months hoping it will help me. I have not filled the prescription yet I am waiting, b/c I just ordered the audio program & want to give it a try. My doc tried to get my insurance to cover it, but they would not. Anyone else have the same issues? I am a first timer & am thankful for this site.

--------------------
IBS-D "spastic colon"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1943

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review