All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Been seeking hormonal balance after hysterectomy..... new
      #309709 - 06/24/07 12:06 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I haven't been posting much lately. But wanted to share a little information I've run across in reading about hormonal balance. I had to have a total hysterectomy back in September and have been battling hormone imbalance ever since. I've tried pills, patches and bioidentical creams. All of which made me feel unlike my self. I was tired, lacked energy, IBS-D flared it's ugly head all the time, etc., etc. So I decided to try things without HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and guess what? My symptoms are getting better. I actually have some energy back. I haven't had to take Imodium for 3 days. I'm not as tired. It's only day 6 since using any HRT so it is early, but so far so good. I was reading about life without hormone replacment before I went off and I read that women who go through menopause without without HRT and have suffered from IBS tend to do better after menopause because of the relation between hormones and IBS. My IBS always was worse around that time of the month....so why replace the hormones that can trigger IBS? I've also read how well a lot of women do without HRT. So I am supplementing with vitamins and giving it a try. I had endometriosis and estrogen feeds it....so why would I want to put that back into my system? Ya know what I mean. And the warning slip they give me every month with my prescriptions of estrogen and progesterone creams both say it can cause nausea, dizziness, fatigue, etc. And those are all things I experienced. So I think it might be worth it to try and get through this "sudden menopause" without hormones. I know it can be done because others have done it. Do any of you have experience in this topic?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Been seeking hormonal balance after hysterectomy..... new
      #309713 - 06/24/07 01:12 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I'm turning 40 in two weeks and all I can say is Halleluia for my IBS possibly getting better after menopause!!! I'm so glad you offered that information cause I always thought that once my hormones go away(after menopause)maybe my IBS would get better since I, like you, have the terrible flare ups around ovulation and period when hormones are raging!!

The only information I can offer was that I know my mom was worse on HRT than off of it. She was a mean, angry woman that I swear went through menopause for 8 years! It was awful to have to deal with her. She's turning 60 in August and she is MUCH better. She had a hysterectomy young(in her late 30's) also but kept both ovaries. She started HRT and then after a few years stopped because then they were saying HRT is not good for you. I'm sure stopping them will probably make you feel much better. Yeah you might get a little irritable or hot flashes but like you said, everyone gets them when they go through menopause and survive so why can't you?!?!? I hope you keep feeling better and better as the weeks go on. I've been on Elavil for three months for my IBS(at a low dose)and I think it's been working pretty good. EXCEPT for those times of the month that I think no medication can fight hormones. BUt it's definitly manageable.

I'm sorry that I don't have actual experience with HRT but hopefully my story helps a little bit

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Been seeking hormonal balance after hysterectomy..... new
      #309715 - 06/24/07 01:43 PM
Nugget

Thanks so much LittleLisa for your words of wisdom. My hysterectomy took place when I was 38, am now 39. I was already having symptoms of early menopause before surgery, so my gut instinct is that I don't need the hormones...I hope I'm right. But, hey, after already feeling somewhat better after being off for only 6 days I think it's worth a try. Like I told my mom when I tried going off once before...if God meant for me to have a hysterectomy, isn't it possible He was trying to tell me something about the hormones? I mean, if He made it possible for the doctors and the situation to remove all the parts that make the hormones, shouldn't I be OK without them. I've also read that your body isn't totally without hormones, just less of them. Our bodies find other sources for the amount of hormones it requires. Maybe mine just doesn't require much. I don't know...I think I'm getting a little too deep with all this rambling. Sorry. Thanks for listening. {{{hugs}}} Best of luck to you as you enter menopause.

Hi, Nugget! (Anyone have experience with YAZ?) new
      #309857 - 06/26/07 05:14 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I remember you....from years ago. Aren't you the one that used to have the photo of yourself with your 2 dogs? Goldens, I think? And you and your husband like to go camping. Don't know why I remember that about you, but I do. I am Beaglelover. I rarely check in on the IBS website, but do every once in awhile.

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble adjusting after having your hysterectomy. I have not gone the surgical route, but I'm now going through menopause (at age 47)naturally. That's interesting what you found out about hormones and IBS because. I feel like there is so much that doctors don't know about women and hormones.

The past several years, my IBS (IBS-C) has practically disappeared. I attributed it to my 2 sons going off to college ---CAN YOU SAY LESS STRESS??? But after reading your post about IBS and menopause, now I'm wondering if it didn't get so much better because of the drop I was having in hormones.

Well, fast forward 2 years, and now I'm dealing with terrible NIGHT SWEATS, insomnia, irregular periods, painful intercourse----all those symptoms of menopause that I thought would never happen to me. I wake up every half hour sweating, I kick the covers off, turn the ac down and the ceiling fan on, and then----I'm having chills! I'm also wide awake all night, from what I understand is insomnia caused by a drop in hormones.

I went to the ob/gyn who tested my hormones. She told me I was almost finished with menopause!!! She has put me on YAZ, a low dose of birth control pills to help allievate my symptoms. Yesterday, I took the first pill, and I had frequent and loose BM's all day, and I feel bloated (even tho it has a diuretic in it.) I felt like I do when I'm on my period, which is understandable, since this pill has progestrone in it and that's what gives you D when you're on your period.

I am terrified of this pill making my IBS symptoms return.
Why does this have to be so complicated?

I hope you get things straightened out without hormones. For me, I cannot stand being awake all night (for HOURS at a time) and the horrible night sweats and hot flashes during the day.

Getting old sure sucks!!!

If anyone has experience with YAZ and IBS, I'd love to hear from you.

Would like to add....
      #309858 - 06/26/07 05:18 AM
BL

that I have worked extremely hard since Christmas to lose 40 lbs. (Weight Watchers and water aerobics)....and I'm terrified that the YAZ may make me gain it all back.

And then there's the issue of bipolar disorder, which I have. What if this causes depression/mania?

I guess time will tell. I'm hanging on for the ride!!!

If this YAZ continues to make my tummy feel funny, I will discontinue it---and ask the doctor for some Ambien. I need to sleep!!!

Hopefully, this tummy problem is temporary. How in the heck am I going to get in a swimming pool and work out if I have loose BM's frequently???

Re: Hi, Nugget! (Anyone have experience with YAZ?) new
      #309859 - 06/26/07 05:37 AM
Nugget

Hi! I remember you, too! Yes, I'm the one with the Goldens. I haven't been here much the past couple years. The year before my hysterectomy I had to have my appendix out, then a year and a month later I had to have the hysterectomy due to an ovarian cyst (benign) the size of a tennis ball, endometreosis, and other cysts. Because of my age and knowing my husband and I didn't plan on having children and to avoid any future possibility of malignant cysts, I opted for the total hysterectomy. Thankfully I've not experienced the hot flashes, horrible night sweats, etc. I had the cold spells and went through that in the winter. The night sweats stopped after I got off Effexor. I truly believe alot of my problems with IBS-D can be attributed to hormones....and the fact that I'm a worrier doesn't help either.

So good to hear from an old aquaintance here. Glad to hear things are going pretty well for you. {{{{hugs}}}}

Re: Would like to add.... new
      #309860 - 06/26/07 05:40 AM
Nugget

I've never heard of YAZ. Sorry you are having a rough time with it. If it upsets your tummy, I'd definately stop. Have you tried any supplements....vitamin B complex helps with nerves, mood, etc. Calcium, Vitamin E, a good multivitamin, Vitamin C...are all good for what we are going through.

No one has experience with YAZ? --nt--- new
      #309914 - 06/26/07 02:46 PM
BL

Re: Hi, Nugget! (Anyone have experience with YAZ?) new
      #309924 - 06/26/07 04:30 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I started taking Yaz last Sept. I tried the Seasonal prior, but spotted continuously. Thinking back, my IBS symptons did get much worse after starting the BC. My doc finally changed me over to NuvaRing last month and I've felt a lot better. She is having me use it non-stop so I will elimate having my period. That should help with the symptons as well, since it was always way worse at that time of the month. You may want to talk to your doctor about trying something different. BTW I did gain 10 pounds when I started the BC, but since I started all the testing and went on Heather's diet in March, I've lost 15. There is hope.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Re:I do! new
      #309937 - 06/26/07 06:36 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hi, Im IBS-A (mainly leaning towards D), and I take Yaz. I do not find that Yaz interferes with my IBS at all. I do experience some spotting with it, but besides that, Im okay with it. I do notice that it makes my PDs lighter and less painful, but IBS wise, I do not see a difference.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review