All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can IBS start at 50?
      #309502 - 06/21/07 07:47 AM
annette_celeste

Reged: 06/20/07

I am the new kid on the block. For the last 3 months I have been experiencing most of the IBS with the big "D" symptoms. My doctor said it "must" be IBS. Colonoscopy last year said everything looked great. Can IBS start when you are 50? I am having to live on Bentyl at the moment. I will start the soluble diet tomorrow. Please, anyones thoughts!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can IBS start at 50? new
      #309529 - 06/21/07 01:48 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It can, but it's not usual to get IBS at that age. Even though you had a colonoscopy last year, with these sudden and new symptoms, I'd ask for another one or even just a sigmoidoscopy and blood work.

#309545 - 06/21/07 05:03 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I just love the "Gee it must be IBS" line that doctors give when they can't diagnose anything else. We've all been told that but quite frankly on a positive note, after you've had all the tests that you can possibly have I guess it's kind of good that it isn't anything more serious. You should have more tests though than just a colonoscopy. I'm one of those IBS'rs that have D and am affected with flare ups around my period an ovulation so I'm convinced that it's aggrevated by hormones and it could be that being 50 your hormones are getting all out of whack too!

Do what we all do and don't give up. Ask your doc, NO, DEMAND that your doc do more tests and take you more seriously than "gee it must be IBS".

Good luck and Oh, Welcome!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#309569 - 06/21/07 07:42 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Anything's possible. With any dramatic change in body function, you should see a doc and have things checked out. You can print off the info on this page and take it with you to your doc when you go.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#309623 - 06/22/07 04:55 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Mine started at 45 so it's possible but there were specific triggering factors for me, mostly chemo and antibiotics. I agree with the other posters - make sure you've had all the tests Heather recommends before getting a diagnosis. In the meantime, do try Heather's dietary approach - it can't hurt.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#309635 - 06/22/07 08:15 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

It is my understanding, that for some people, some digestion problems can be brought on by food sensitivities, even manifested later in life, such as wheat, sugar, yeast and dairy. My suggestion, and one that worked for me, is to eliminate these foods from your diet for a few weeks, and gradually add one at a time back and see if you get worsening symptoms. That would be an indication which foods may be causing your symptoms. I'll bet if you eliminate these, that within a week you will a positive response. Many people have had their lives turned around when they realize what they eat is contributing to their misery. That doesn't mean one can never eat those foods again, but that they will have to eat them in moderation. Do you love bread, pasta, refined sugar (sweets)? Could be an indicator.

#309650 - 06/23/07 01:15 PM
Carrie Lenehan

Reged: 06/21/07
Loc: Mansfield, Ohio USA

Hi - I always wonder when someone complains of IBS symptoms if they have been tested for CELIAC DISEASE. I don't know why docs are so resistant to testing for Celiac as it is profoundly underdiagnosed in our country. My husband is an MD and was diagnosed with Celiac about 10 years ago. It is always good to rule this disease out which can, at times be silent and at other times be almost identical in symptoms to IBS. (Celiac disease is an allergic reaction to gluten in wheat, rye, barley and oats) Just a thougt from an old nurse!

#309805 - 06/25/07 04:20 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Mine started when I was 59 & I'm 75 now. Thank goodness for Heathers help!

#310166 - 06/29/07 01:06 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I have been doing lots of online research on this because of recent menopausal symptoms I'm having. I did read online last night that it is rare to see IBS at age 50 and older....mainly because of a decrease in women's hormones at this age. I will look for the article that I read and see if I can find it ...and will pass it on to you.

I would make sure the doctors have explored all other options before settling on an IBS diagnosis.

Hope this helps!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2211

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review