All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"Fussy Eaters" - any on here? (Non-IBS medical food limitations)
      #299993 - 02/16/07 03:17 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

So I've always been a super fussy eater. I mean, seriously fussy - I don't eat anything that comes out of the sea whatsoever (I can't even look at fish without wanting to throw up, never mind touch it), the only vegetables I can eat are carrots, peas, butter beans & occasionally red kidney beans. The only fruit I can just pick up and eat are apples, green seedless grapes, and occasionally strawberries.

I can eat fruit flavoured things, etc, and a few 'uneatable' fruits if they're pureed in a smoothie or similar.

Other than that, I'm stumped! I live on LOTS of potatoes, white bread (could eat brown bread taste-wise, but freaks my tum out majorly), lemon barley water, water, peas, carrots, chicken, the odd bit of turkey, bagels, potato cakes, soy cheese & soy margarine, and a few other bits.

Basically, the blander the better! My favourite foods are all white, and the less taste the better!

I was just wondering if anyone on here was similar? I've always thought it was one of those 'just me', but a program called 'Farm of Fussy EAters' has just finished on tv over here, where a group of people as fussy / even fussier than me all went to this place for 2 weeks run by a psychologist, nutritionist and a chef, with the aim of conquering their fears and trying new foods.

I guess the definition of a true 'fussy eater' is not just someone that doesn't like lots of stuff, but has a real serious phobia of trying anyting new whatsoever - as real a phobia as those of heights, enclosed spaces or spiders. As I said, just looking at fish makes me gag, and the thought of eating cabbage or lettuce or any other vegetable makes me feel sweaty and dizzy, and I know i just couldn't put them in my mouth.

Quite a few of the people in this program conquered their fear, and their lives have been changed massively. I guess it's got me wondering whether I'd be capable of changing at all? It's so embarrassing - all my career when we've gone out to eat all I ever get are pizza margarita (pref' without tomato base, as I hate it - with the added bonus now as its one of my worst triggers, so I'm 'validly' allowed to avoid it!), spaghetii carbonara or some 'plain old english grub' - a piece of chicken or gammon, with potatoes and peas, with a piece of white bread.

The thing is, whilst most of the foods I don't like aren't great for IBS, health-wise I need to be eating them, and for my own piece of mind I need to be able to try tnem. And i know, if I can conquer this fear, both my overall health and my stomach would improve SO much - I know that I make my IBS so much worse with my majorly restrictive diet and lack of variety.

Anyone experience anyting similar, or know someone like this? I'm wondering if I should set some targets - like try a new food every week, even just a tiny taste, of something like a bit of pepper or a bite of lettuce. I know I'll never eat fish or onion or cabbabe or sprouts, or a few other things, but maybe I could expand my diet, even just a little??

(I know all of this sounds pathetic, but seriously it's a horrible mental block on trying anything new AT ALL - I've been the same all my life, not helped by my parents trying to 'sneak' new foods into me - e.g. cut up broad beans 'hiding' in my peas. )

I've been sure all my life this is something I can't change. But can I??? Is this all about control?? Is this a part of me that just won't grow up??

Questions, questions....

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Fussy Eaters" - any on here? (Non-IBS medical food limitations) new
      #299996 - 02/16/07 03:39 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I've been sure all my life this is something I can't change. But can I??? Is this all about control?? Is this a part of me that just won't grow up??

In this particular case, I don't know how. I wish I did. But I can say, without a doubt, that with enough determination, anyone can do anything. With a fear of eating, I'd suggest pro help. We can give you our opinions, but I think you need to be dealing with someone face to face who can really get into this with you.

I can say, speaking from experience, that even when things seems like they will never end and you have no idea what to do to get out of something, there is ALWAYS a way.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#300000 - 02/16/07 03:49 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there!

I'm not that fussy. I used to be as a kid but not anymore. Now it's mainly the fear of IBS attacks that can make me panic a bit about trying new things. (I have also got almost a germ phobia since my IBS really became a problem, since I am scared of getting sick and that that might cause the IBS to act up for a shorter or longer period.)

I suggest cognitive behavior therapy if you find you can't overcome your fear on your own. I really believe in that type of treatment. One of my sisters is studying to become a cognitive behavior therapist and she is so excited about this type of treatment. For you it would mean slowly and gradually trying new things under supervision of a therapist and they'd help you face your fear and reaction and understand it. They might even start by showing you a picture of something you might consider trying et.c. I know they do that with things like snake phobias for example. Then they start by maybe talking about it and then showing a picture of a snake and then maybe letting the person touch the picture et.c. So it's a gentle procedure.

Good luck with overcoming your fear! IBS puts limits on the diet anyway so it's good if you don't have to limit yourself more than necessary.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Hello stranger.... new
      #300004 - 02/16/07 03:58 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

As I've just said in my post to Michelle...I am soooooooooooooo sorry to be suck a lurker around here at the moment...never getting a chance to keep up with everyone...but as Im sure you know...what with work and uni my life is but a madness at the minute. I'm sure I'll be back again in the summer properly...or when my life begins to slow down...if that ever happens. Just wanted to say a quick hi...and hope you are all ok. Hows the career going?? Im soooooo proud to think you've made such progress from this time last year...remembering all your emails and how down you were...I'm sure you never saw your life now as possible again did you. You've done great! Are you still seeing Michael?? Hows that going....have you noticed any improvement from the hypno?? I know that DEFINATELY helped me with the 'food fears'. I for sure had many a phobia of certain foods...many of which are now almost dissappeared. Never got to see that program on tv though, sounded interesting.

--------------------
Natalie

#300015 - 02/16/07 08:31 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm considered a fussy eater by others because I'm a strict vegetarian, no meat, no rennet, no gelatin. That wipes out a boatload of foods in America.

I also don't eat (off the top of my head): mayonnaise, mushrooms, lima beans, raw onions, cabbage, cilantro, parsley, grapefruit

So people always act like they're bending over backwards to serve me.

Still, although people call me a fussy eater I love Ethiopian, Indian (south and north), Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Greek, and all manner of cuisines that other people eschew. The only non-American food I've tried and didn't like was Vietnamese. And I'll still eat it, it's just not my favorite.

Neither my husband nor I grew up exposed to non-American foods, but we try to always be willing to give it a go.

So, my suggestion is to try different kinds of foods that contain ingredients you like. For example, Masala Dosai is an Indian dish that is made entirely out of things you list you like. And since you're at an Indian restaurant... try something out of the safe zone too.

#300052 - 02/17/07 06:08 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

While I wouldn't call myself a fussy eater, I am petrified to eat something I haven't tried before or something that contributed to an attack in the past. I know the anxiety you feel about food! Every meal is pretty much like anxious-ridden for me.

I don't eat corn, never have, even as a baby I spit it out. Yet I eat corn tortillas and popcorn. I can't stand sweet pickles - just the thought makes me sick. I am now afraid of the pecan squares I made at Christmas because I happened to eat one and happened to come down with the flu the same night. No connection, but I'm petrified.

And my list goes on, to non-ibs friendly foods I used to eat before I was diagnosed (14 years ago now! How time flies) such as deep fried fish with tartar sauce, ketchup flavoured potato chips, cream of wheat and Red River cereal, scrambled eggs especially with ketchup, stew of any sort, corned beef, pea soup, etc. I used to have real issues finishing my dinner! I used to have to leave the table and go back after a trip to the bathroom. I used to dread nights my dad was home at dinner and I didn't like what was served because I had to eat it and then I was miserable. When my dad was working (out of town mostly) my mom made fun meals that I would eat - tuna melts, pizza, spaghetti, etc.

I'm best with bland meals now too, but I still eat a variety of things. I love stir-fry, which is something you could try to incorporate more veggies, just ones that you like. I use bean sprouts, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, onion, Chinese cabbage, sugar snap peas and water chestnuts. I have an awesome recipe for a marinade for the chicken breast and it is one of Thomas' favorite dinners. We have it with rice noodles or I fry some rice.

Isn't it funny how our minds develope fears and phobias about something as simple as food. Sure, to not like something because of the taste is alright, but to actually fear it. I suppose it could be classed with certain eating disorders, although we aren't afraid of weight or calories, just of having D for the rest of the night!

I wish you luck Caroline! Maybe as Mike, maybe in the hypno there is something that can help you too.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

did i type this? new
      #300104 - 02/18/07 03:19 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Wow, there is so much I can relate to in this post I could have wrote it myself. I had to laugh at the "I don't eat anything that comes out of the sea whatsoever " because I am famous for this. I will not eat seafood. I can't stand to look at fish even alive and swimming, it gags me. They completely gross me out, ohh and when a restaurant has a fish tank at the front entrance GEWWW! (sorry just my little rant).

The only veggies I eat are baby carrots, green beans, peas, some beans (kidney, baked beans) and zucchini the odd time. They have to be cooked too.

I don't like freh fruit either, peeled apples or applesauce and fruit salad or cherry flavoured anything is about the extent of it. I hate bananas.

I love potatoes, white rice, chicken, turkey and fresh bread, "white" the other food group that wasn't included lol.

I do not use salt or pepper or seasonings. I will add onion flakes for flavour or garlic salt but that is about it.

People call me a fussy eater and I guess I really am. By the time you take out what I don't like and what I can't have, there doesn't seem to be much left. I am not really worried about it though. I can usually find something to eat or I wait until I get home. I would rather be fussy than sick.

My main problem is repitition, I eat the same things until I get sick of them so I try to add new things once in awhile or change recipes.

The way I eat is very much like the way I am in everyday life. I have to know exactly what is in what I am eating just like I have to plan exactly what I am doing each day.
I am most definitely a creature of habit. I know that it isn't always healthy. I also know that life would probably be much more fun if I explored a little more. But I am happy just being able to leave my house right now.

So I guess my advice on your situation would be, if it bothers you do something about it. If it just bothers other people, who cares! don't suffer to make them happy.

Maybe we can challenge each other to try something new once in awhile. I want to try a salad after a SF base because I need more IF in my diet. I'll let you know how it goes

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 337 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2127

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review