All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sciatica
      #299676 - 02/12/07 05:30 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Just wondering if anyone's had experience with this and if so, what's worked for you? I had some problems with my first two pregnancies but they were at the very end and I dealt with it.

Last summer before going to Spain, I had some problems with Sciatica again. I went back to the chiropractor and then did physical therapy for a couple weeks.

Well, it's back with a vengance. I'm doing okay for most of the day but night time is miserable. I'm up every 45 min- hour to roll over and switch sides. What's worse is that it is really a workout to rollover now with my big belly. This is something I'd expect at the end of my preganancy and would probably just deal with it like I did before but I still have 4 months to go. I need my sleep!

I'm still going to the chiropractor and will probably have to go to physical therapy again but I guess I was just wondering if anyone had ever done anything else that worked for them.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sciatica new
      #299680 - 02/12/07 07:26 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Do you have a big body pillow? The only thing that saved me was my big huge giant body pillow. (it was something like this, minus the roses: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/comfortstore_1933_12074360)
I had terrible hip pain and the pillow took most of the weight off of my hips. Oh, and swimming. I would recommend swimming if you can.

Body pillow new
      #299689 - 02/13/07 03:00 AM
Flipada

I do...sort of. I have one about 1/2 that size. It just doesn't go around my back. I've been using it but it makes turning over even harder and really takes up a lot of room in the bed. DH has been great about it though.

Not sure if there's a place around here where I can cheaply swim. I have thought of that though. Thanks for the suggestions!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Body pillow new
      #299692 - 02/13/07 05:18 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Hi there! I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have suffered off and on with sciatica throughout this pregnancy and with my firstborn as well.

This may seem obvious, but have you tried basic Extra Strength Tylenol? My doc told me to take 2 tablets 4x/day. She also recommended a belly belt. You can get them at any maternity store. I found mine at Motherhood in Rivertown Crossings Mall (Grandville).

Also, I used a heating pad on my back for a few days when a flare-up was really bad, and currently I'm experiencing no pain.

My doc told me to take the Tylenol/belly belt route for 4-5 days, and said that if it didn't get better, she'd start physical therapy. I lucked out with the tylenol/belly belt route. You should definitely talk to your OB about it. My sciatica was at its absolute worst immediately after my son was born, I couldn't even walk from my hospital bed to the bathroom without assistance. I don't plan on letting it get that bad this time.

Just as a side...I was going to a chiropractor from about Nov - Jan. I experienced increased pain after an adjustment and never went back. So, the chiropractic route didn't work for me in that area.

I'm also having problems sleeping, but it's due to my hip joints being so loose from the hormones. Pillows really do help. See if you can find one that supports your back while sleeping.

Also, try and take it easy as possible. Because it's a nerve, it's all irritated and cranky. It'll take a few days for the inflamation to go down. Rest up if you can mama!

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (02/13/07 05:21 AM)

Some sciatia suggestions! new
      #299704 - 02/13/07 08:19 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ahh, I understand your pain! I had scaitic nerve pain last week, and it was awful. I called the physical therapist who had worked with me recently after my foot surgery, and he made some suggestions that really helped. First, he said inactivity (like sitting for a long period) will just make it worse. You need to get up---no matter how painful it is---and keep moving. Walk around as much as you can.

He said to use ice, NOT heat, since it is a nerve that's affected, not muscle. (Duh! I had been using a heating pad! No wonder the heated seat in my car made it feel worse.)

Also, he gave me an exercise to do, which I had actually done several years ago when seeing a physical therapist for back pain. I did it before bedtime, and voila, the next morning, I was amazed that the pain in my buttock, leg and calf was gone!!!

I'm not sure you can do this pregnant but if you can, it sure works. Lie on your stomach on the bed. Put your hands down on the bed under you, like you are going to do a push-up. Elbows out at your sides....Then do a push up! Slowly push up while inhaling. Get all the way up on your hands, extending your arms straight (if you can). If the nerve is too inflammed, you might only be able to go up part of the way. If so, that's ok. Just go up as high as you can. Arch your back. Hold the pose about 10 seconds. Then slowly exhale as you lower your arms and go back down to the bed.

Repeat several times.

Although it may hurt your lower back when you're doing this, this motion really helps relieve that sciatic nerve.

I hope you can understand my instructions. Good luck! I swear it works! The therapist told me to do these exercises anytime after I vacuum, mop the floor, or do a lot of bending over during the day.

It's working for me!

Re: Sciatica new
      #299712 - 02/13/07 10:26 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Does your insurance cover massages? Mine does with the chiropractor and I was getting them once a week during my pregnancy. I had horrible tailbone pain with Ava. I would use the heating pad on low and take some tylenol providing your doc says its ok. Check with your insurance because if your chiropractor says that massage therapy is part of your therapy some will cover it. I get up to 37 visits a year. Your a teacher right? If you have Messa Blue Cross they will cover that! Hope you get comfy soon! Oh and also the body pillow that Jenny mentioned really helped me too. Good luck!

Jules new
      #299731 - 02/13/07 02:36 PM
Flipada

I'm only in my 24th week so that's why I'm worried about this continuting. Since I've had this so many times before, I know what I'm in store for if I don't get help.

I talked to the nurse at the OB's office (Dr. is on vacation). She didn't mention the Tylenol. So even Extra Strength is okay?

I've been thinking about the belly belt. I'm going to have to break down and get one. Grandville's a little far but they probably have one at the maternity shop in Muskegon or in GR.
Thanks for the suggestions.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Angela new
      #299735 - 02/13/07 02:59 PM
Flipada

Yes, my insurance does cover them. But now, I have to have an adjustment on the same day, or it doesn't cover it. That makes things a little more inconvenient. I'm going at least once a month right now. Every two weeks when I can.
Thanks!

--------------------
**Lauren**

BL new
      #299736 - 02/13/07 03:01 PM
Flipada

I'm going to get myself to a physical therapist. I want to see if they can help and give me some exercises. The exercise you explained would be impossible right now as I cannot lie on my belly at all. But thanks for the suggestions!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Actually..... new
      #299740 - 02/13/07 04:08 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I couldn't imagine a pregnant woman doing that exercise, but I thought maybe, just maybe, it would be a possibility for you! Another one you might try is to stand with your feet several feet apart. Place your hands on the top of your buttocks, and lean back as much as you can, stretching your back. That takes the pressure off that nerve!

After going to so many doctors and having no success with pain, I'm a firm believer in physical therapy. The therapist has helped me so much more than any doctor (or medicine) has. I would certainly see if one can help you! I know how painful sciatica can be. Good luck! I hope you get some relief soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 740 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review