All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
New User that could use some help new
      #297746 - 01/23/07 01:30 PM
krasj

Reged: 01/23/07
Loc: New Hampshire, USA

I am new to the whole IBS world and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. I have had all of the usual tests (colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc) and I have had my gallbladder removed nearly 5 months ago. Currently I am experiencing the following symptoms: occasional upset stomach, acid reflux, nausea, lightheadedness, and joint pain. My doctors are confused because I don't fit the normal IBS criteria as I do not have bad stomach cramps followed my diahrea. I go to the bathroom 1 time/day, every day. At the most two times a day. It is usually loose but rarely diahrea. I am currently on a very bland diet where I eat organic plain chicken, organic apple sauce, french bread, and not much else. Yet the symptoms are still bad. I don't seem to fit the IBS criteria but can't seem to get my doctor's off of that path. Any guidance would be helpful.

Some other interesting points of info: I have lost 45lbs over the last year (I was 215lbs, now 170lbs and I am 6'2). I was a little over weight but not that bad. The other strange thing is that my sisters have had similar problems after their surgeries. My doctors found it bizarre for a family of three kids to all have sever IBS. Any thoughts are welcome as those that have lived with the problem understand it better then those that haven't.

Edited by krasj (01/23/07 06:47 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New User that could use some help
      #297776 - 01/23/07 05:19 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Well, IBS is different for everyone. There are general guidelines for symptoms but, mostly, IBS is diagnosed when all other possibilities are ruled out. Light-headedness and joint pain don't sound like IBS to me. But the upset stomach/nausea fall right in line w/ IBS. If you're not happy with how your doc(s) is treating you, go to a new one. Sometimes a fresh perspective can come in very useful.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: New User that could use some help new
      #297780 - 01/23/07 05:48 PM
krasj

Thank you for your reply. The doctors have tried me on so many medications over the past 1.5 years that it is tough to remember what normal feels like. I am currently going to try to go medicine free to see if some of my problems are side effects for the drugs. The only thing that concerns me is that I am unable to even handle a diet that is as bland as plain baked, organic chicken. If I can't handle that, what can I handle!

Have you tried the Acacia fiber yet? (Again, sorry if you've already answered that). n/t new
      #297820 - 01/23/07 08:55 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Another thought new
      #297873 - 01/24/07 10:26 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

You said your joints hurt, have you been tested for auto-immune diseases, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Another thought new
      #297888 - 01/24/07 11:09 AM
krasj

No. Unfortunately my doctors are at the point where they are so certain that it is IBS that they are not looking at other possibilities. I am not sure what it is but I have to have faith that they know more then I do. Some things simply just don't seem to fit, but I am new to this and simply don't know. Today things got weird again as my stool is now bright yellow. I am not on any medications so I am not sure what is causing this.

Thank you for your post.

#297889 - 01/24/07 11:14 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

What area of NH are you from? Just curious about which gastro doc you are seeing. The one I saw were extremely unhelpful. He was in Derry.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#297890 - 01/24/07 11:18 AM
krasj

I saw Dr. Roalsvig initially. He seemed like he was a competent Dr. but he seemed so disinterested in me and my problem it was frustrating. He put me on Reglan for nearly a year which seemed to make everything worse. Now I am seeing Dr. Chow at the Lahey Clinic in Peaboday Ma.

#297898 - 01/24/07 11:34 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Yes - I saw Dr. Roalsvig as well. He had me try a few different meds - none of which helped substantially. He would not perform a colonoscopy - he said I was too young. And he definitely did not seem interested in me and what my issues were. After about a year of seeing him regularly with no improvement, he told me that there wasn't anything else he could do for me, but that I should call him if I needed anything. Yeah - right.

I have my symptoms under control now, but if I ever need to go back to a gastro I am going to consider going into Boston for it.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#297903 - 01/24/07 12:00 PM
krasj

Can I ask what you did to get your symptoms under control? I am really struggling. My diet is very bland, nothing but chicken and haddock and all I drink is water and I still am miserable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5049

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review