All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Imodium-tolerance and side effects
      #291609 - 11/28/06 09:26 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I know several of you take Imodium on a regular basis, do you find that you need to take more and more of it to control the D? Also, do you find that it makes you more tired or dizzy?

I used to be able to take one tablet and stop the D. Now, I take one and after going potty 2-3 more times, I take another one and if I go again, I take another one. I don't think I have ever taken more than 4 a day. It seems lately that I'm so much more tired and dizzy and the D continues. I do not know if its from the Imodium or the mtx I'm on. I know I am dehydrated but I'm also very nausous which makes it difficult to get things down.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Imodium-tolerance and side effects new
      #291610 - 11/28/06 09:38 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I use Imodium and have noticed that in bad periods I would have to increase the amount I take. I also noticed that the chewable tablets were much more effective than the swallowed capsules. I think when we have bad D, the capsules don't get absorbed as well (just like nutrients/food aren't being absorbed as well). So it makes sense if you have a day where have more D, you may need more Imodium that usual.

I think although Imodium slows down the D, it doesn't help you from becoming dehydrated from the D. So you really need to get more water, even though the D is slowed down. I would think the tired/dizzy feeling is from your medications, dehydration or low nutrients (B12, iron, blood sugar etc).

The only advice I can think of is to get the Imodium chewables. I really hope you find some relief soon.

--------------------
Kat

#291619 - 11/28/06 10:26 AM
michele

Makes good sense, never thought about that! I have to make a trip to the drug store and will pick up the chew ables! Thanks!

--------------------

#291625 - 11/28/06 10:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Back when I was taking it all the time, yeah - I did find that I had to take more of it eventually to get the same effect. The good news about that, though, is that if you get to a point where you can go a month or so without taking it at all, your body kind of "resets". I used to take 3 at a time (!), now I take 1 and end up with C. LOL

As for side effects... my guess is that they're either from the mtx or dehydration, or both. I never had side effects of any kind from imodium. I know it's hard to get anything down when you're nauseous, but how about sucking on pieces of ice? It's better than nothing - you really have to get some water in you, or you'll end up in the hospital.

*big hugs*

#291633 - 11/28/06 11:21 AM
michele

Thanks Casey, I didn't remember anyone else talking about side effects from the Imodium but when I googled it, it did say dizziness and tiredness were a possible side effect. However, I think it is more likely dehydration or the higher dose of the mtx I did last week. I mean I'm not taking that much of the Imodium!

I did manage to get some soup and a vitamin water down but it went right through me. I mean the noodles in the chicken noodle soup come immediately out looking the same as they went in! That's probably way TMI there but who else can I tell these things too?

I have an awful taste in my mouth and it seems no amount of breath mints, teeth brushing or sucky candies get rid of it. I just opened a bottle of Vernors and will let it go flat a bit and try that.

I'm trying to hold off on my Vicodin until a bit later as my boss will be in shortly and we have a few patients and I'm already so tired, I'm afraid I'll be nodding off at my desk. I really just want to go home and go back to bed! I'll have to shut the bedroom door though because the rest of the house is a mess and it drives me nutty looking at it! LOL!

--------------------

#291650 - 11/28/06 12:40 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

While taking imodium I noticed that I would have to save the imodium for emergencies only. Using it on a regular basis did nothing for me. Too often and it didn't work any longer.

I would use it for travelling etc and drink lots of water with it. It's good for the imodium and for the IBS

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#291676 - 11/28/06 03:38 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Hi Michele,

Yes, I used to have the same side effects as you are experiencing now. I noticed the effects increased the longer I used the product. Especially feeling lethargic. I had no other choice but to find a way to minimize my usage. Obviously side effects are user specific and one needs to listen to what their body is telling them. I've copied a post of mine below regarding the use of Immodium with a different twist in case you find it useful. Here's to figuring it out so you can begin to feel better!

"Hello,

You are talking to a former Immodium addict. I'll try to save you lots of time and frustration by chiming in with my two cents...since you put it out there to us

I used to take Immodium to compensate for my poor eating choices when I was out socially. As Sand stated, some of the time it worked but once your gut is aggravated there is no amount of Immodium that can stop you from getting sick. Honestly, looking back in time I now see that I took Immodium to avoid me truly dealing with my IBS head on. I wasn't willing to admit that my gut could no longer tolerate the food things that gave me pleasure for so long. My intuition told me that it was time to take this condition seriously and put some work into the necessary changes that needed to take place, BUT I didn't want to do the work to make it so. In many ways I was acting childish when what my IBS was needing me to do was to grow up and take charge of my life.

Three years later, I am IBS stable. I have completely evolved as a human being in the way I handle stress and the acceptance of "what is" (I have IBS), and the food choices I make. My overall health has improved since most of the foods I needed to eliminate were toxic to my body to begin with. Little did I know that my IBS was a blessing in disguise.

All this to say, is this, keep the Immodium in your purse just in case. Go out socially but choose wholesome choices when you're there and just in case there aren't any (till you become stable) eat something IBS safe before you go or take a little something with you that is. I still keep the Immodium in my purse but haven't used it in over 2 years now all because I've learned the truth about how to be with my IBS condition. Your IBS condition is calling you forth to take action with it. Immodium puts off the inevitable to a later time. I know you can do this! Please feel free to write me if you want to talk further. Keep smiling, things will get better!

~Alicia "

#291786 - 11/29/06 07:46 AM
michele

Thanks Alicia. I have had IBS since I was 15, I'm 36. I do eat according to heathers guidelines and I know what my tolerances are. I used to be so C that I took miralax daily. Than, this last winter, overnight, I switched to extreme D. I have also been diagnosed with an auto immune disease and although my blood work came back negative for crohn's, they aren't convinced I don't have it as well.

Right now, I'm so sick, I eat little more than crackers, soup and bread and it goes right through me. My many doctors are aware of this but haven't come up with any answers yet. I try to take as little Imodium as possible but my poor tushy is red and raw and its hard to work while RUNNING to the potty every ten minutes.

--------------------

#291792 - 11/29/06 08:05 AM
ms.mindful

Michele,

I am so sorry that you are feeling so badly
The chicken soup thing you described earlier, I also know all about. When you are at this particular level of sensitivity it seems all you can do is continue doing what you are doing (following the strictest diet). It's apparent that you are a regular poster here so you probably already know this....are you taking probiotics right now? They seemed to help me a little when I was as sick as you are.
Also, meditation (different than hypnosis) helped to settle my mind which of course feeds our IBS problems.

Also my best friend became the baked potato with egg beaters on top. Anything to help plug things up that is still healthy for you.

I wish I oould give you a big hug because my heart is so with you right now. I will check to see if you have an email so I can share a bit more with you offline.
In the meantime, keep smiling that great smile you have in your pic!

~Alicia

Bumping up for Michele -nt- new
      #291793 - 11/29/06 08:09 AM
ms.mindful

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6337

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review