Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Long-term consequences of IBS on life new
      #289217 - 11/07/06 07:46 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi Tom,
I'm 20 too and well done for making it this far through college cos hey I didn't even get finished lol I'm in England, completed GCSE's and A-levels but had to leave college after about 7 months because of ibs. I know about fears,and they STINK lol they do. Being anxious is one of the most awful feelings in the world. However, I would say just like the others, don't give up on your dream. That's a lot easier typed than done I'll readily admit.
I haven't got a clue what I want to do as a career (not sure whether that's a good thing or bad) but anyhow I know that God has good plans for me (Jerm 29:11) God gets me through all this and my family are wonderful. My views will always be based around God's will/word because I'm a Christian and could probably write a whole essay bout what the Bible says about fear, but even for those who don't believe I think that you still should do all you can to stand up to fear. there are people out there to help, whether they be friends, family and experts get help.
As for missing out on life experience , I can relate to that too cos I've been battling with illness throughout most of my teens which are traditionally the 'growing up and experiencing years ' but don't worry cos there's still plenty time for that. You'll have loads of fun in the future so don't dwell on what you haven't done, look forward to what you will do!

there are some truly wonderful and inspirational people on this site and we're here to help as well as be helped.
Vicky

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#289241 - 11/07/06 12:28 PM
vmars4eva

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: Illinois

Thank you for your encouraging words, everyone. My last post was really negative probably because everyone is making me face what I don't want to hear even though it's true - that I'm just simply going to have to be strong and fight this thing.

I know that I want to fight it, and I know that it's potentially possible, it's just that the anxiety is crippling. These last few days I've been having racing thoughts and panic episode off an on.

I'm now taking everyone's suggestion about getting some counselling - I signed up for on-campus couselling last night. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait two weeks before I can start sessions, so I guess all I can do is wallow in my dread and self-pity.

It feels encouraging hearing about everyone's college experiences. But how did all of you England people end up there? Are you studying abroad? What's your majors? Should I have studied abroad?

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and support. I've really needed it this week.

Does anyone else have any tips for how I can start to experience life while struggling with IBS and IBS-related anxieties? Or, is this just something I'm not going to be able to accomplish at this point?

how i have dealt new
      #289317 - 11/07/06 08:24 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

hi, i am 23 years old and in the second year of my masters in industrial design, i have had ibs since i was 12, i have been on AD'S since i was 14 for the anxiety and ocd associated with my ibs. when i went off ad's for 2 years and everything went to hell i was still in school the whole time, yes i missed some classes and had to leave in themiddle of some to go sit in the bathroom feeling bloated and nauseous, oh and i had really bad reflux as well, but i did it somehow and caught up where i needed to, professors are far more undertstanding than you would ever imagine, as are employers, you would be surprised how many people have or know someone with stomach issues, plus you will never be fored for running to the bathroom, its aprt of life for some of us, don't be adverse to telling certain people the situation you are in and you will be surprised how much freedom that will afford you from your anxiety. I am no back on AD's and back to myself, i eat very specifically, and still have some bad days, but i handle them and move on to the next part of my day.

lol how did I end up in England new
      #289328 - 11/08/06 01:43 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

well, ummm I was born here lol sorry I just found that funny (maybe that's just me) I'm assuming you were asking those who are american but moved? in England the education system is a bit different I think,I did a national diploma in childcare. The term college can be used over here for a few things, you can have a sixth form college, which you would go to after 16 if you want to stay on. Then a college which I went to which is an establishment which offers a few different studying options. Then you have university, which is what you guys call college I think, here you would study for a degree or a Phd etc, so basically further ed. (that's about right isn't it? fellow english people)

Whether you should travel abroad to study or not is really a matter of personal choice and opportunities arising to do that. I couldn't tell you which system is best cos well this is the only one I've ever known.

For anxiety I think the biggest tip I can give you at the moment is just taking things one step at a time. Set yourself targets which are manageable FOR YOU. Don't bother about what anyone else thinks is "easy" If accepting an invitation to a social event and GOING, staying for five mins then leaving is a big achievement then do that and be proud of yourself
Next time stay for ten minutes. Yes people might think you're a weirdo but hey who cares? lol yeah I know obviously we do care but I think the trick here is to confide in a trusted person who can go with you and give you a bit of support. Anyone who is worth being friends wit at the party, dinner whatever will try to understand your situation.
It's a great step going to see a coucillor, hopefully s/he will talk through with you some options about different therapies you could try. At the moment I'm looking at cognitive behavioural therapy which is pretty useful. Ask about that.
Hope everything works out brilliantly and keep us posted with your progress, whatever road you decide to take
Godbless

#289347 - 11/08/06 08:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Does anyone else have any tips for how I can start to experience life while struggling with IBS and IBS-related anxieties? Or, is this just something I'm not going to be able to accomplish at this point?

I think counseling is a good idea. I would absolutely try the hypno. But I also think you should take a harder look at meds. I know a lot of people don't want to "overmedicate" but at your age I think you should be doing whatever it takes to make your life as livable as possible. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about increasing your Lexapro dose. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about an anti-spasmodic. (I take Donnatol but that's anti-spasmodic plus phenobarbitol so I don't drive when I take it and I don't know about mixing it with Lexapro.) Perhaps more aggressive use of Imodium will help.

I keep thinking about your not taking a van trip example. That would terrify me - trapped with strangers in a vehicle with no bathroom and no control over stopping for a bathroom except by risking humiliating myself by asking - well, begging. But if I eat safely (always, not just the day before) and I took a Donnatol and 2 Imodium before I left, I could do it. I might have to get up 4 hours before I was scheduled to leave to get my tummy settled down; I might have to chug hot peppermint tea the whole trip; I might have to eat another couple of Imodium along the way; I might have to take another Donnatol and therefore be less than sparkling company; I might have to plug myself into a hypno session - but I could do it.

And I think that's how you experience life while struggling with IBS. You figure out what you have to do to accomplish some scary thing - just one scary thing and it doesn't have to be as scary as the van trip from hell to start. You eat, sleep, wake up, tea, dose, drug, and hypno to get through that one slightly scary thing. Then when you've done it, you've got a little more confidence which means a little less anxiety for the next thing.

As for not being ready for adulthood, if it's financially possible for you, consider sticking around at college for another year. You're young enough to do it - I started college at 17 and ended up taking a year off in the middle - and it would provide a relatively safe environment to start pushing your boundaries. Figure out what adventures you want to have that you can't manage and start taking little steps toward having them.

HTH. I wish you all the best and welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#289348 - 11/08/06 08:50 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

What I see in your post is that it's anxiety that's crippling you, not IBS. Believe me, IBS plus anxiety is horrible, IBS without anxiety is just annoying. And I'm sure adding on the inevitable graduation anxiety doesn't help!

It's almost a sure bet that if you find a way to manage your anxiety, you'll be able to navigate this a lot better. Hypnotherapy (including the CDs available on this site) is a proven therapy for IBS. A regular exercise program and/or yoga and meditation can also help. A lot of people are helped by antidepressant and antianxiety drugs.

One first step is to come to the intellectual realization that the fear is worse than the actual bowel ickiness. That thought helped me a bit, but didn't really kick in until I did the hypno CDs and realized that on an emotional/subconscious level. Now, even if I have an stress-related attack, I don't get into that "fight or flight" mode where I make myself sicker and sicker. I just bring along reading material to the bathroom, and keep drinking my peppermint tea.

You can turn this big scary IBS monster into an annoying yappy dog. Really.

--AC

I love this post, AC. -nt- new
      #289352 - 11/08/06 09:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I love this post, AC. -nt- new
      #289372 - 11/08/06 11:25 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Thanks! It's been a long journey for me, who could be charitably described as "high-strung". But, interestingly enough, it was an easy journey once I decided to do the hypno!

--AC

#289397 - 11/08/06 02:38 PM
vmars4eva

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: Illinois

You guys are recommending hypnosis a lot, which is something I've been thinking of doing for a while. I'm definitely going to give it a shot this winter break.

I tried going on an anti-spasmotic (sp?) medication a couple of years ago, and I could never tell whether or not it was being effective because it would trigger sickness half the time and make me 100 percent better the other half of the time. I've also tried peppermint, both in tea for and in a concentrated liquid, but it just wasn't helping me with the frequent bowel movements and constant sense of urgency.

Immodium AD and lexapro have been my saviors, literally. Lexapro finally was able to control some of the panic attacks and acute anxiety after two years of struggling with it and Immodium AD allows me to magically feel like a normal person for four hours by taking away the sense of urgency and the loose BMs. The problem with Immodium AD, though, is that sometimes I feel like there's "payback" for using it because I sometime have a pattern with it where I become constipated and then the next day I have a dreadful IBS day. I also feel guilty whenever I take it, because it feels like someday my body is going to get used to it and it'll stop working when I REALLY need it.

The lexapro also has a couple of sore points for me because it wreaks havoc on my sleeping patterns (and taught me the word "hypersomnia") and more dreadfully, I feel sometimes that lexapro takes away my "edge," or my ability to focus and concentrate on something, like my entire brain has been numbed and is working only at 60 percent capacity. Which is a terrible thing to happen when you're in college and every moment the very best is demanded of you, and also it's bad at my job at my university's newspaper where I'm expected to be creative.

Quote:

I keep thinking about your not taking a van trip example. That would terrify me - trapped with strangers in a vehicle with no bathroom and no control over stopping for a bathroom except by risking humiliating myself by asking - well, begging.

For whatever reason, I think it's mostly the risk of humiliating myself that terrifies me the most. I feel like these people that I was supposed to take the trip with are the editors that I work under and one of the people was my very fatherly advisor, and to have an IBS incident in front of these people I would feel would not only ruin my relationships with these people who are very important to me but would scar me for life. As other incidents where I've been in a bus/van/vehicle with other people and I've had the sense of urgency and panic attacks have scarred me, just for the enormous amount of anxiety alone.

I think one issue that has bogged me down during my whole struggle is the lack of understanding from my parents. They've been very supportive of the fact that I have this health problem, but they often yell at me and say stuff like I'm making the problem up or that I don't actually have irregular BMs and I don't know what I'm talking about. The problem gets really bad whenever I have to sit out of a family event such as going out for dinner (which is one of the hardest things for me because restaurants make me anxious because I always fear that I'll eat something that will trigger a nasty prolonged BM). Whenever I have to sit out of a family event, I get no support but instead vile anger for not participating, which is SO hard for me because I feel like it's my body's fault, not really the fault of me as a person.

As I've probably just illustrated, and what someone upthread has mentioned, by biggest problem really is the anxiety and the fear, not the IBS. I let the fear cripple me.

I feel now that all this happening to me couldn't have come at a worse time, because I really feel underdeveloped as a person because of dealing with anxiety and forgoing life events out of fear during my crucial late-adolescent years. It feels like I want to hit the reset button, but that's not going to happen.

Thankfully, I do have financial support from my parents for college, so staying another years at school is certainly an option. It's also smart for other reasons besides dealing with my IBS issues; I'm getting a degree in journalism, but as I'm learning in all my classes, print-journalism (which is what I'm trained to do) is dying fast and job opportunities are disappearing. This revelation is actually what triggered this recent wave of anxiety a week ago, out of fear of what the future holds and out of guilt for not choosing a better area of study.

And this brings up what's also been haunting me: guilt. I feel so, so guilty all the time that my parents pay for my college education (though I do contribute by getting lots of scholarship money and attending a relatively unexpensive school). I feel guilty because, I keep on thinking, if I didn't have financial support from my family and I had to pay for college all on my own, how on earth would I ever be able to deal with the IBS?

It's all this second guessing and this guilt that has really gotten me down this week.

#289706 - 11/11/06 01:05 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Tom,

You can do anything you want---DO NOT let this ruin your life or control your life. You obviously have managed to get things under control to a good extent and will only continue on that path. I was recently diagnosed with IBS and until about 3 weeks agao have been VERY anxious and nervous about everything. I even thought my relationship would fall apart due to this disorder.

I realized that I could not let fear rule my life and I took control, I cook using Heather's book (an excellent buy by the way) which is very empowering and I educate myself to the max on everything related to IBS.

I think all the people that have responded to your post are very intelligent and experienced people with great advice. Listen to them and take things a day at a time by building up confidence in yourself. Do not make the mistake of selling yourself short of your dreams.

Best wishes,

Sufie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review