All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Some decisions made
      #287517 - 10/23/06 07:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Will and I have been talking as we agreed that if the rheumy tomorrow suggests the methotrexate like we think she is going to than we are going to do it. I've have been reluctant to try it because its very toxic. You have to have your liver and white blood cell count checked like every 2 weeks for a while than one a month. It is also a category X for pregnancy. That means you cannot even think about getting pregnant, in fact, they all but force you tot take birth control pills. They actually use methotrexate shots to induce abortions. If you do manage not to abort, you will have a severely messed up kid. It is known to cause all sorts of horrible birth defects. If you decide late that you want to get pregnant, you have to be off it for 3-6 months before even trying. I'm 36 years old with a history of infertility and 5 miscarriages. This will pretty much squash any hopes of me ever having my own child. I'm really having a hard time with this. I feel like I'm giving up or something.

The problem is, is that I am no where near healthy enough to care for a child, even if I could someone manage to carry one. Its all I can do to drive to work, sit at my desk and answer the few calls calls everyday. By time I get home, I'm exhausted. I sleep all weekend, every weekend. I hurt all the time. The joint swelling and damage is getting worse and taking its toll on my mental health.

I'm afraid if I don't get this under control before too much longer that I just won't be able to cope anymore. I feel like such a burden to everyone. The pain is wearing me way down.

The methotrexate is a very serious drug with a lot of side effects. As I mentioned, you have to have lots of blood work to monitor your liver and other organs. It makes you very tired, nausea and fatigued. It can make your hair fall out. It causes stomach upset and diarrhea. Apparently most people take one big dose, once a week. Usually on the weekend so they can sleep it off. They also make it in an injection form which is what I would ask for to try and bypass the gi upset. I already have enough problems there.

This is really my last option. I've tried all the other dmards (disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs) and I need to get off the steroids. I'm already on the humira at a higher dose than usual and yet the swelling, pain and damage continue.

I kept telling myself that if the methotrexate works and I get better, maybe we can adopt. I know we can not afford a private adoption at $20,000. However, I know that sometimes if you adopt through social services, its much cheaper. We will unlikely get a white, healthy infant but I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that there are many older children out there that needs home and I can love them just as much with in an already weakened state. As many of you know, I am not a religious woman but I take comfort in knowing that I found Harley just when I needed him and little Oliver just came along under all the right circumstances and I can only hope that maybe, someday a child will come to me as well.

I'm thinking that if I can ever get this flare under control, that I would check into volunteer work at social services, a battered woman's shelter or even join big brothers big sisters. I feel that I have a lot of love to give and if I can't give it to a child of my own, than I need to find someone in need of love.

Whatever you do to take comfort in this world, please do it for me. I'm trying to be strong but I'm feeling awful bruised and battered. I feel like I've been though more than my share of misery in my 36 years and I would really like a little happiness, at least a reprieve from the pain.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Some decisions made new
      #287519 - 10/23/06 08:03 AM
ibsnotme

Reged: 03/07/06

A friend of mine is on methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis in her feet. She is doing very well with it and has minimal side effects. Fortunately, she had her kids before she was diagnosed and in treatment. I think you're making the right decision. Good luck

#287524 - 10/23/06 08:24 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Michelle,

I think you're doing the right thing to realize you need to take care of yourself first and once you feel better, the rest of life will sort itself out. It's no fun to feel miserable and like a burden all the time, and I really hope the new drug helps alleviate that. I'll be thinking about you and hoping that once you feel better other things will fall into place as well. I think volunteering sounds like a great thing to do!

Re: IBSNOTME new
      #287537 - 10/23/06 09:53 AM
michele

I'm glad tohear the mtx is working well for you friend! Lets hope I have as good luck with it, the list of side effects is very scary.

--------------------

Re: Chinagirl new
      #287538 - 10/23/06 09:54 AM
michele

Thanks. I know in my head I'm doing the right thing its just such a difficult decision to make but you are right, I need to get well first and sort the rest out later!

--------------------

#287543 - 10/23/06 10:08 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I think you are doing the right thing. You need to be healthy first before you could try to take care of a child. There are many ways for you to share all that extra love you have and youm mentioned some great ones!! I had one shot of mx when I had an ectopic pregnancy. I couldn't coneceive until 3-4months after i was given it. And that was only a one time shot. It was a better alternative than having to have my tube removed. I don't remember being sick from the shot just from the miscarrying process. But then again like I said I only had one shot of it. I really wish you health and happiness Michele, because you sure do deserve it! I will keep you in prayers! Love ya!

#287551 - 10/23/06 10:32 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I agree with everyone else, you are doing the right thing. Even if you had 3 children and 10 million dollars, you're too sick to enjoy it. You need to take care of yourself and you deserve to feel better. Everything else will fall into place. You've dealt with so much that it is your time for good things to come your way and I believe that you are on the right track to make that happen. Good luck and best wishes. I'm praying for you.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#287552 - 10/23/06 10:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry you're having to go down this road, Michele - I'll be thinking of you as you do this.

I don't know what dose of methotrexate you'll be on but I do know it is - or used to be - one of the three drugs used in standard breast cancer chemo. Most of the women who were on this standard treatment were able to keep up with their daily routines with few side-effects. (In fact, weight loss was one of the reported side-effects of this chemo cocktail. Life truly is not fair sometimes.) I hope you have a similarly uneventful experience with it and that it provides the help you so very much need.

I too believe that you will find a place for all the love you have for children. Heaven knows there are lots of children out there who need someone just like you.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Some decisions made
      #287557 - 10/23/06 11:10 AM
michele

Thanks Sand. I am looking forward to getting off the steroids and hope the mtx will allow me to do that. I've also read weight loss is a side effect and after 6 months of steroids, I sure can use that! It is commonly used to treat various caners. Supposedly the side effects due lessen with time. I really hope my hair doesn't fall out, I wouldn't be pretty bald!

--------------------

Re: Some decisions made
      #287559 - 10/23/06 11:12 AM
michele

Thanks snowy, lets just hope this drug helps!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30699

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review