All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
College orientation!
      #276323 - 07/30/06 02:16 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

eeeekkk! Tomorrow I have my transfer orientation... since its just for transfer students atleast I wont look like the weird older girl in a sea of highschool students! BUt Ive never attended a major college or university before and Ive never been to an orientation! ive spent many years only in community colleges... blech

the other sucky part is that there is options for family oriented things, so i have a feeling most people are going with parents in tow or along with friends taht attend the college, but Im riding solo

Does any of our college goers have ANY idea of what im walking in to tomorrow?

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: College orientation! new
      #276328 - 07/30/06 02:40 PM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

I graduated from University a couple of years ago but I do remember how stressful I found that first day of orientation! I was much in the same boat as you with no family or friends with me and was kind of overwhelmed! I think the best thing for you to do is just relax and be open minded, there is usually a set schedule for these things and at my orientation we were assigned in groups to someone who had already attended the school so we weren't left alone to wander and get lost! If you find someone else who has to go it alone and they are in the same mindset as you, buddy up together. Remember, the goal of any orientation is to give you an idea of what the campus is like and to meet new people that hopefully will turn into friends while you get used to your new surroundings and above all it is supposed to be fun! If there are activities that they try to make you do and you aren't comfortable with it, just say so. I found most people at my orientation would not force anyone into any activity that they really did not want to be involved in. Above all, try to have fun and be yourself and try not to stress yourself out. I found that in situations like that I usually made things out to be a lot worse than they really ended up being. It's a hard habit to break! I hope this helps. Have fun at orientation and a great year in school. I kind of miss the college life!

Re: College orientation! new
      #276343 - 07/30/06 05:57 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yes, as a current college student and someone present for orientations, I can give you a basic idea.

First, they're likely going to tell you a bit about what you can expect from the school. Just a general overview.

Then they'll tell you about where to go for academic questions, like where certain departments are or where the academic services office is (in case you need transfer credit resolved) and the like.

There will most definately be some "getting to know you" events, some discussion about campus safety, and emergency contact info.

I wouldn't worry too much; I'm sure you won't be the only one "riding solo". Just find a group of other solos and tag along!

Enjoy your college!

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

good to see you back, sheri new
      #276354 - 07/30/06 07:02 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

and good luck with your transfer. I'm sure you'll have no trouble fitting right in!

Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1216

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review