All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Well done England, unlucky....
      #272013 - 07/01/06 12:21 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Boo... England knocked out of the World Cup in the quarter final against Portugal. Went through extra time and penalties, and we had 10 men for nearly the last half of the game as our best player got sent off.

Absolutely gutted, was a wreck watching. And the most annoying player in the world just HAD to score the winning penalty didn't he. Grrrr....

Ah well, only 4 more years...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well done England, unlucky.... new
      #272022 - 07/01/06 03:26 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I don't find Ronaldo annoying. He has great skill. Both teams played a great game.

Re: Well done England, unlucky.... new
      #272023 - 07/01/06 03:38 PM
Blondie13

Never said he isn't a great footballer, just find him particularly annoying! We hate that 'if someone makes bodily contact throw yourself to the floor and yell like you've been shot' style of play, and he's very good at it - refs have to warn him about it regularly.
(I equally hate it if someone on our side tries it, I love football for the skill and I don't think that kind of stuff belongs in the game.)

I thought they thoroughly outplayed us til Rooney got ejected, but then we stepped it up a gear and probably had the upper hand. Always sucks to go out on penalties, but we haven't been playing our best anyway - we're very ready for a new coach

--------------------

Grrrrr new
      #272247 - 07/03/06 03:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Anyone that gets our striker sent off and then winks at his team-mates is a sod. V. good footballer, C. Ronaldo, but a cocky little *bleep* for sure.

Re: Yep. Did he think no-one was watching?! nt new
      #272253 - 07/03/06 05:05 AM
Blondie13

--------------------

Re: Grrrrr new
      #272261 - 07/03/06 07:07 AM
Gracie

He may have winked but in the altercation that happened, he wasn't even talking to or looking at Rooney. Rooney got himself sent out of the game; he shoved Ronaldo right in front of the referee. There's no excuse for that.

Going out on penos is cruel.. new
      #272280 - 07/03/06 08:27 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I watched the (boring) second half and (boring) extra time. Felt so sorry for Jamie Carragher when he took his penalty too soon and had to retake, esp since he had gone on towards the end to take it.

What do you all make of Becks resigning as captain?

--------------------
S.

Re: Going out on penos is cruel.. new
      #272283 - 07/03/06 08:35 AM
Gracie

Beckham's an excellent player, but in another 4 years he'll be too old to play at that level. When a great player decides to leave, it's good to go out while you're on top so I think he made the right decision.

Re: Becks resigning as Captain new
      #272302 - 07/03/06 10:14 AM
Blondie13

I think it was a brave, and very right, thing to do. A team changes so significantly under a new coach, and it is the right time for changes across the board. (Hopefully the new coach will also understand the merits of 4-4-2 and get rid of Sven's latest formation tactics!! )

I reckon Terry's the most likely replacement - great player, and young enough to be playing at the next Euro's and World Cup. If he was younger Neville would be the obvious replacement, but he's getting on a bit.

I'd still put money on Becks playing in the Euro's in 2 years time, as a player if not captain. And also I wouldn't 100% rule him out of ever captaining the side again - who knows who the new coach will favour, or maybe a team vote will be used, and Becks is a loved & respected leader amongst the players.

Interesting times ahead methinks!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1613

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review