All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Thanks Bevrs! new
      #241003 - 01/24/06 07:15 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I found a lady that teaches classes out of her house thats right on my way home and its a tiny bit cheaper. She is starting a class this Thursday so I'm going to go check it out! The first class is for "mommies" only, no doggies. Will and I talked it over last night and agreed the money was probably worth it since he will be my furbaby for a very long time! I've never had a dog before so I guess I should learn the proper way to train Harley!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks Cathuk! new
      #241004 - 01/24/06 07:18 AM
michele

Will and I agreed last night that it was a good idea and I found a place thats a little cheaper and right on my way home! Harley is already pretty well socialized as he goes to work with me everyday and plays with everyone who comes in but I think its best if I learn to train him proper. He does listen pretty well already and I've taught him a few things but since Harley is my first dog and I plan on having him for a long time, I want to do it right!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Lisa! new
      #241006 - 01/24/06 07:20 AM
michele

Will and Ia greed it was a good idea to go last night but I never thought of having WIll go to class also! I found a class that starts this Thursday and the first night is for the parents only so I'll be sure to ask about both Will and bringing Harley.

--------------------

Re: Hi Barbie new
      #241007 - 01/24/06 07:22 AM
michele

Yeah, Harley is also a very good dog but I agree, he needs to learn a few commands, the big one is STAY! He sits and comes pretty well but he won't do stay! I need him to listen to me at the office so we decided we are going to do it! My vet actually suggested a place and its right on my way home from work and the class starts this Thursday! I'll let you know how it goes!

--------------------

Re: BL new
      #241009 - 01/24/06 07:25 AM
michele

Someone suggested to me to put bells on the door you want them to go out and teach them to jingle the bells when they need to go outside! Its not really an issue for me as Harley will be little and I'm just find with him going potty on his wee-wee pads. I take him out when I can but our yard isn't all the way fenced in and we live on a busy road and shih tzu's are primarly indoor dogs anyway! I'm hoping this summer to get the rest of the yard fenced in so he can go out and play whenever he wants to.

--------------------

Re: Thanks Linz! new
      #241010 - 01/24/06 07:27 AM
michele

I did check with the vet and she suggested a place thats right on the way home. Its still $215 for 6 weeks but I called 5 different places and they were all $200-$250. I think its awful steep too but I aguess thats the going rate here where I live. Harley is a really good boy and listens well but I guess the classes may be more for me than him! Since I've never had a dog before, I want to be sure I'm raising him right!

--------------------

Re: Anyone know how to teach a dog to speak? new
      #241113 - 01/24/06 10:47 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

That's how we taught our golden to go to the door and speak. We'd say speak before we let him out and he caught on. I'm wondering though if it will be tough for you since your dog isn't a puppy. Maybe not. Just repetition of the speak should work. However, my mom has a Bernese Mt. Dog and she's so dumb she won't bark no matter how hard to get
her to! Beautiful dog, but not too smart in the gene pool!

WE are actually loking into a Bernese and Golden mix. Dumb dog mixed with a smart dog. Should be interesting. I'm gonna do the same "speak" thing with it when we get it. Hopefully it works again. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pack heirarchy new
      #241127 - 01/24/06 11:54 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Make sure to make him do a trick before he gets any reward. Like filling his bowl with food, then making him sit before you give it to him. It teaches pack heirarchy (you on top, him on bottom).

We enforce this all day long every day. If mr. dog and I go through the same doorway, I have to go before him. BF and I also eat first and then when we're done, then I put out food for the dog. He has to see us eating before him. Before he goes on a walk, we make him lie down before we put the leash on. That kinda stuff.

In other words, YOU are the boss!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review