All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Children's books and authors........
      #238719 - 01/15/06 04:27 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If we've done this before...that's ok we have loads of new folks now ! ! !

I'm reading like there's no tomorrow and I plan to make my way to the library this week to get...children's books! A bunch of you recommended that I read to take my mind off my impending surgery and it is WORKING/HELPING! It tkaes me out of my life/self and into another world and I am loving it! I hadn't been reading of late...and I found like my long lost friend has returned!

Why children's books you ask? They are just SUPER comforting...and I need comfort right now...

PLEASE feel free to mention any book you think I might like children's or otherwise. Also if you please, write me a few lines about the book/why you think I might like it!

I will try to let you know which books I decided to get and how I like them over the next few weeks!

I'm REALLY excited about this...thanks to all who participate! I know we have some avid reader here...and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for me!

Hurray for reading!

Love ya

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Some of the best books ARE children's books! new
      #238725 - 01/15/06 04:57 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I love this topic!

Betty MacDonald - the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books! Parents call Mrs. Piggle Wiggle whenever their children pick up bad habits. Coolness factor: Mrs. Piggle Wiggle lives in an upside-down house!!!

Eleanor Estes - Ginger Pye Newbery Medal Winner about the "smartest dog in the town of Cranbury" and Jerry and Rachel Pye, brother and sister. Pinky Pye - the Pye children's father is an ornithologist (bird researcher) and the family is sent to an island so he can do research. There they adopt a stray kitten, Pinky, who can use a typewriter! (Not really, but it's a cute story about the father and kitten.)

Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time for the same reasons Jaime gave.

Lois Lowry - Anastasia Krupnik (and the rest of the Anastasia books), The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline - these are more lighthearted than some of her other books about tween girls, the changes they're going through, and their families.

Beverly Cleary - Ramona the Pest, Henry Huggins, etc. I like spunky children who challenge adult conventions - these books are full of them!

Edward Eager - Half Magic - Four siblings, raised by their widowed mother, find a magical coin that only grants them half of their wish. Great storytelling voice, humorous.

Margery Sharp - The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret - Disney animated The Rescuers and the books are much more fun. Talking animals! Adventure!

C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles of Narnia

Roald Dahl - (author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) Matilda - A sweet girl with self-centered, abusive parents and a mean school principal uses her intelligence to get them back.

Carolyn Mackler - YA author - The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things (Teen's Top 10 (Awards)) - Fifteen-year-old Viriginia Shreves is the blond, round, average daughter in a family of dark-haired, thin superstars. Her best friend has moved away, and she's on the fringes at her private Manhattan school. She wants a boyfriend, but she settles for Froggy Welsh, who comes over on Mondays to grope her. The story follows Virginia as she tries to lose weight, struggles with her "imperfections," and deals with the knowledge that her idealized older brother has committed date rape. There's a lot going on here, and some important elements, such as Virginia's flirtation with self-mutilation, are passed over too quickly. But Mackler writes with such insight and humor (sometimes using strong language to make her point) that many readers will immediately identify with Virginia's longings as well as her fear and loathing. Her gradually evolving ability to stand up to her family is hard won and not always believable, but it provides a hopeful ending for those trying stand on their own two feet. Ilene Cooper
Copyright © American Library Association.

Meredith Ann Pierce - The Dark Angel Trilogy -another YA book; romance fantasy, strong female lead character.

Other favorites -
Pippi Longstocking
The Secret Garden
Anne of Green Gables
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/15/06 05:02 PM)

Re: Children's books and authors........ new
      #238726 - 01/15/06 04:57 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

In the Month of Kislev: A Story for Hanukkah (Hardcover)
by Nina Jaffe, Louise August (Illustrator)

Card catalog description:
A rich, arrogant merchant takes the family of a poor peddler to court and learns a lesson about the meaning of Hanukkah.

Believe it or not, we studied this book in my Law and Literature class last semester. The wise Rabbi in the town comes up with a creative way to resolve a dispute. I know you'll really like it -- also deals with being satisfied even when you are lacking in material things.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Little Britches by Ralph Moody new
      #238729 - 01/15/06 05:19 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I looooooved this and the Laura Ingalls books when I was younger. "Where the Red Fern Grows", "Old Yeller" are timeless classics as well.

Ask your librarian for a list of "Newberry Award Winners"...the Newberry award is for extraordinary childrens books. I have yet to be disappointed.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I was a series kid... new
      #238732 - 01/15/06 05:25 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Chronicles of Narnia - fun fantasy series
The American Girl books - historical fiction, short and cute, my grandmother would give me a new one each holiday
Laura Ingalls Wilder books - historical fiction as well, enjoyed reading about the frontier
Anne of Green Gables books - loved the character of Anne in the series!
Madeleine L'Engle books (A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, etc) - science fiction-ish, and appealed to my love of science
Harry Potter series - fantasy! fun characters and plotlines, and I identify with Hermione!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#238738 - 01/15/06 06:10 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Charlotte's Web- E.B. White

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

I agree with some of the others! new
      #238739 - 01/15/06 06:28 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

What the other's have recommended that are MUST reads:
-Laura Ingalls (Little house)
-Emily of New Moon
-Harry Potter -JK Rowling
-American girl series is GREAT
-MRS PIGGLE WIGGLE I LOVE THAT BOOK!
-Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is great as well
-Charlotte's Web is a great classic!

My recs.:
-The Blue Sword -Robin McKinley
-The Hero and the Crown -Robin McKinley
-Heidi -Johanna Spyri

Now there is an entire series of books, all of them starting with "The Adventures of..." By Thornton W. Burgess. Some of the titles are:

The Adventures of: Buster Bear, Chatterer the Red Squirrel, Danny Meadow Mouse, Grandfather Frog, Jerry Muskrat, Johnny Chuck, Mr. Mocker, Old Man Coyote, Old Man Toad, Paddy the Beaver, Peter Cottontail, Poor Mrs. Quack, Prickly Porky, Reddy Fox, Sammy, Jay, Unc' Billy Possum, Bobby Coon, Jimmy Skunk, Bob White, Ol' Mistah Buzzard, etc...

These are all cute, wonderfull stories about animals, and I truely love them!

Good luck!

#238744 - 01/15/06 07:21 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

already mentioned some of these before, but...

a wrinkle in time - madeline l'engle (there are three other books in the series, all great)
danny, champion of the world - roald dahl (my personal favorite of his books. i also love the bfg.)
julie of the wolves
the pistacho prescription - more along the lines of judy bloom.

i'll let you know if i come up with more.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#238748 - 01/15/06 07:47 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Stargirl.. I can't remember who's the author, but its a really famous book for children around 4-7th grade. If I remember correctly it takes place in AZ, and its about a girl who never seemed to fit in. Its a great lesson learning book.

Also, The little Prince! Always a crowd pleaser and such a sweet little story!

--------------------

I love these books! new
      #238760 - 01/15/06 09:02 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I especially love YA fiction. Here are some of my faves:

Gary Paulsen (Hatchet, Brian's Winter, and Brian's Return)--survival books about a boy who finds himself alone in the wilderness

Judy Blume-- loved her when I was growing up

Lois Lowry--The Giver is great!

Things Not Seen--don't remember the author, but a kid wakes up and he's invisible

Those are the ones off the top of my head

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96271

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review