All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: For Ruchie.. Anxiety expertise... new
      #223802 - 11/08/05 03:54 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wow, WOW! Thanks Alicia! I guess I shouldn't feed myself all these negative messages about how dumb I am after all You're right...I'm not stupid...

In social situations I say the dumbest things though! I am NOT a small talker...and I just lose any sense of self AND self esteem! (Same when it comes to organization and home making...).

Thank you though for the confidence boster! I should remind my elf daily that i graduated college with undiagnosed bipolar, anxiety, OCd, and 7 LD's to boot with a 3.0 GPA from a reputable school...that's def. something I would give a friend MAJOR props for...so why not me Maybe I'm not so dumb after all

As for YOU...you're still my hero! I love you! *hugs*

Ruch

P.S. The breathing thing has saved me in the past...now I just have to use it. And think of you

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Ruchie.. Anxiety expertise... new
      #223803 - 11/08/05 04:04 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you're worried about talking in society situations, let your hubby take the lead. Talk to him about this in advance. Also, it is a lot better to ask questions than provide answers. Make up a mental list of 5 general questions that you can ask people. That way, if you're uncomfortable, you can prompt them to talk. That way you're not worrying about what to say. Besides, you don't have to say much to look like you're having a good time. Just relax and smile!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Alicia's my hero! new
      #223804 - 11/08/05 04:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

Alicia, you are unbelievable!

I truly know 1st hand how difficult it is to do what you're doing for yourself and your children...but you are DOING IT!

All those times you offered your # and i never called, btw, were due to anxiety (I have thought about it numerous times but just couldn't pick up the phone. This is true with many of the folks on these boards! This also explains all the times I've disappeared...and you can relate to all of it. Thank you for being so open!)

It was also passed down to me btw. And I am terrified of passing it down to my kids. But alicia, you give me so much HOPE! We truly CAN feel the dear and do it ANYWAY!

I think we should keep a log going. What our fears are for the day...and support eacvh other.

Today's biggest fears:

1)Going to the store

2)Walking dog

I did:

1 & 2! The store was the toughest cause I felt so sick today. Woke up to Hemms. Slept until 12:30pm (The tegretol makes me feel nauseous too when we p the dose). But I went anyway and feel better!! Then I came home having no idea how to get myself outside to walk the dog. Then all these posts were here and I was so inspired by you Alicia...I did it! I WALKED MY DOG!!! YAY!!!!!!

Now I have to do the dishes. This is an organizational challenge for me a bit. So I will need to break it down. I also need to make dinner for hubby and I (seperate meals of course )

Course of action: BREATHE! Listen to a Torah tape (Bible stuff), or some classical music...something soothing. If I get anxious...BREATHE, take a break and sit down, have some water, sing, or post for help on the boards!

WOW!

I feel so much more impowered!

Thank you thank you thank you *HUGS*

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

5 things to say at a party when... new
      #223806 - 11/08/05 04:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

Alicia, let me let you in on a secret...my hubby has anxiety too! (He's not ready to face it yet...but he does!)

So he wants ME to take the lead

I'm great with the "Hi, where ya from, what do you do, I like your blouse, what's so interesting/why did you choose your job, do you like AZ/why?, etc. It's when I KNOW the people aready that becomes a prob. After the opening starters, I'm a mess

If anyone can come up with 5 things to say AFTER you already know the folks there, that would be super!

Alicia, thank you for being so caring and helpful..I really appreciate it *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: 5 things to say at a party when... new
      #223844 - 11/09/05 02:11 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Find a dog owner and chat to them about your pooch - that has saved me from many a potentially awkward social situation!

Re: Awesome advice Ashley! new
      #223983 - 11/09/05 06:23 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

When I was 21 I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and did do Cognative Behavioral Therapy with an EXCELLENT psychologist! He helped me tremendously through my troubling times. So yes, that approach does work.

YOu can certainly tell that you are paying attention to your studies in college YOu are going to be an awesome psychologist some day girl!!!! Keep up the great work!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Awesome advice Ashley! new
      #223994 - 11/09/05 07:59 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

thanks so much lisa! it means alot!

I'm glad that the CBT helped you! It really works wonders. Is your GAD under control now?

--------------------

Re: GAD(Generalized Anxiety Disorder) new
      #224166 - 11/10/05 04:28 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yes, Ashley, it is under control. Thanks for asking. I'm very proud of myself too that I was able to control it and still use the technics that I learned from him. His main goal was to get me to mentally control it without drugs and I never had to take any kind of drug for it. I really only suffered with it a few years and it was back when I was much younger. I still have anxious issues over stupid things like throwing up and catching viruses but heck who doesn't these days. I also have anxiety driving by myself which isn't such a bad thing.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Well, since my meds aren't working yet... new
      #224169 - 11/10/05 04:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

I am working on doing the best I can with the therapy I've had so far, stuff I've read (I REALLY like Bipolar for Dummies...got it at the library), and ASHLEY'S advice!

I am on a MUCHO GRANDE high tonight!!! And guss what? I CAUGHT IT! Yeppers...I see myself in my "highness" (sorry, couldn't resist)

1st thing I did was MAKE myself sit down.

Next was call hubby at work for some pointers.

I am now breathing slowly at the computer and looking at the Franklin Covey website between posting (that's another post).

I am really proud of myself! Meds don't always work even when we take em. i am high as a KITE right now...and I am not stifling it. I am just relaxing. Making sure I don't get sick overdoing it (i tend to be SO productive on a high I get SICK literally afterwards and even during).

Anyway, thought I would share and thank you ALL for helping me believe in myself *hugs*

And LittleLisa, thanks for the encouragement that meds aren't everything...they ARE important (I am NOT going to stop taking them just cause they aren't doing their job atm!) but so is working on myself and using the tools I have to take care of me

WOW! I cannot believe this is ME

Hurray!

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Well, since my meds aren't working yet... new
      #224176 - 11/10/05 06:02 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

exactly!

you can't expect meds to do everything, you've got to work at it yourself. However, in combination.. they can work wonders.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review