All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone have major anxiety over IBS???
      #20884 - 09/16/03 01:16 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I'm not sure if this is where I would post this but I'm going to anyways! Because of my IBS I get very anxious about going anywhere far from home! I just found out today that my Mother-in-law might be sending me and my family (husband and 2 kids) to Arizona next month to visit my husband brother and wife. It sounds like so much fun...except for my anxiety is getting in the way. I worry about going out to dinner or a movie 10 miles away. I don't know how I could handel going to Arizona. I'm in Utah. That's far!!!!! Does anyone else have this problem? I just worry about what if I get sick...where is the bathroom...what if I get sick on the airplane..ETC.ETC! The list of worries go's on and on! Has anyone had this and been able to get over with the diet? I hate feeling like this. I know I just add to the problem by worrying about it. What can I do to chill out? Any ideas would help. If there is anyone else with this problem I would love to hear from you!!

Thanks so much!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone have major anxiety over IBS??? new
      #20885 - 09/16/03 01:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Steph - You'll get friendly help here in the living room forum, but you might also want to post on the hypnotherapy board. There are a lot of people there dealing with anxiety related attacks, and hypnosis is one of the best ways to deal with that.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Anyone have major anxiety over IBS??? new
      #20941 - 09/16/03 06:55 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Hi Steph...

I think all of us here experience major anxiety just at the thought of leaving the comforts of our homes and our own bathrooms. It can be eased, however, with proper planning. I'm not sure if you have IBS-C or D. I have IBS-D and I don't leave home without Imodium chewables. They have been a life-saver for me. Also don't leave home without plenty of bottled water or water from home that you and your digestive system are used to drinking. Lots of attacks had to happen for me away from home before I realized I needed to have water on hand that my system was used to. Change in water can cause problems. Don't leave home without safe snacks so that you are sure you will have something you can eat without worry or if it ends up being a while between meals. Order safe things when eating out on your trip and make those you are staying with aware of your digestive needs so that they don't cook something that is going to make you sick.

I know this is easier said than done, but try not to worry about the trip and just enjoy yourself. My husband and I just went on a five day road trip and had a wonderful time with hardly any trouble.

Good luck. I hope these tips help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 617 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review