All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Another question about the pill new
      #185432 - 06/10/05 10:04 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Wow, there are a lot of you that take the pill continuously.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ditto Vicam new
      #185449 - 06/10/05 10:27 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm on the depo shot every three months, and as long as I don't miss a shot, I don't get any breakthrough bleeding. I take an EPT test every time I get a shot (and I'm not interested in having children), and there have been no pregnancies.

In fact the only thing is a little weight gain which I LOVE since I've been off the chart underweight my whole life!

I too can't take estrogen (migraines, bleeding every day of the month, severe cramping). So estrogen-based pills, etc. don't help me one bit with the endo, ovarian and uterine cysts, etc., unf. But I love depo dearly!! I actually waited years for depo to be approved in this country so I could take it. So glad it's worked for me when everything else has failed!!!!!!

~nelly~

Endo diagnosis new
      #185457 - 06/10/05 10:44 AM
Nelly

I didn't get my period until I was 14, and it was excrutiatingly painful. I was bedridden for a week each time, and I had ripping pains which feel like 1000 fishhooks in my uterus, with strings pulling DOWN. I was diagnosed with endo when I had an ovarian cyst burst (the first time I was 14, the second time when I was 16). The pain was unbelievable, and I was screaming on the hospital floor holding my left side for hours in my hospital room. They gave me ONE ADVIL for the pain. Yeah, don't get me started.

They saw on my sonograms that I had cysts on both overies and detected tissue forming around my uterine wall on the wrong side. I could have had surgery to explore and scrape it off, but my mother put her foot down and we collectively refused to have me cut open.

So they started treating me with bc pills. We quickley grew tired of American doctors (they're only good for research, I say). As there were only 14 different kinds of bc pills approved of in the US and I took all the orthos, plus the minipill, we turned our attention overseas to France where my family is, and there are over 100 bc pills on the market. Some were better then others, but after a month or 2, the symptoms would come back: bleeding every day of the month, migraines spliting my skull and making me want to claw my eyes out, and cramping. Plus every gut pain made my IBS-D worse (tho I didn't know what IBS was at the time).

So flash forward to when I'm 22. I start on the depo, first for a year, then with a break, then for another year, and I realize my quality of life is so much better while I'm "on the shot." At age 28, I decide I'm going to go for it and do it full time, and voila! Here I am today! No endo, no headaches, no pms, and no blood.

I'm under several doctors' supervision (GI, Gyn, GP), and I get bone density tests and take calcium supplements (which I love because they constipate me!). I get my calcuim, magnesium and iron levels checked and do bloodwork, urinilasis and liver and renal function tests every 6 months. Normal, touch wood.

I can't think of my life with my period and associated problems now!!! I'd have to give up a lot to go back to bleeding every month, and I am so not interested!

~nelly~

To MCV new
      #185461 - 06/10/05 10:50 AM
Nelly

I'm in the same boat and have skipped my periods since Aug 99. I'm under a doc's supervision, and my bones are fine so it can be done. The only side effect (not even a bad one for me!!! ) is I've gained enough weight to put me at a bmi of 19.

Enjoy the period free life! I know I do!

~nelly~

Nelly new
      #185467 - 06/10/05 10:57 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I LOVE not having a period! I wish all women could do this! I've spoken with my doc at length and I am comfortable with taking the pill continuously now. The only thing that worries me is how my body is going to react when I DO get my period someday - but that day is far off, so I'm not TOO worried! Thanks for your input. Glad to know there are others out there going through the same types of issues....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Nelly new
      #185472 - 06/10/05 11:01 AM
Nelly

Ditto to you! I'm so glad we can talk to each other about this stuff. It helps knowing somebody who's going through the same thing I am! {{{{HUGS!!}}}

~nelly~

Re: Endo diagnosis new
      #185477 - 06/10/05 11:05 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks for the thorough explanation nelly.

I have had ovarian cysts, but none that have ruptured. Actually, that's not true. One of my ultra sounds showed that one has ruptured the night before or something.

Question - do you want kids?

#185484 - 06/10/05 11:24 AM
Nelly

Nope, don't want kids. I don't see that life for myself. I'm very much against (in my case) spreading all the genetic difficulties that plague both sides of my family and culminate in me. I'm very pro-family and pro-choice, and I'm active in my brother's kid's life. Kids in general are great, as long as they're not mine. But I don't even get maternal around my dog.

~nelly~

Thanks, Tina! -nt- new
      #185486 - 06/10/05 11:25 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#185490 - 06/10/05 11:38 AM
Sara-Sage

Hey, I definitely DON'T want kids either! I also adore my brothers kids~!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1053 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review