All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
British Election
      #176948 - 05/05/05 04:28 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Hey all -- hope that everyone living in Britain got out to vote today! I've got the BBC on in the background -- looks like another Labour majority from the exit polls, though reduced from the last election.

It will be interesting to see if more of the disaffected Labour vote went to the Tories or the Lib Dems. Is there anyone out there who has an on-the-ground perspective of the thing?

- Vincent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: British Election new
      #176950 - 05/05/05 04:30 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh i thot you wrote 'erection...'

#176953 - 05/05/05 04:34 PM
jrs

No, needless to say...

The first Tory just got elected -- a gain from Labour.

- Vincent

#176954 - 05/05/05 04:41 PM
Nelly

My friends in London and Liverpool voted today. They and their families went together-- it was so, you know, Waltons family.

I took a voting test where they asked questions about Brit politics, and it told me that I'd be happiest if I voted Green Party. LOL! Wasn't expecting that!! I think it was my staunch anti-fox hunting position coupled with my views on state-sponsored university tuition and pot reform sensabilities. I wouldn't normally vote green in my real life, I suppose. But it's so funny when the differences about how you perceive yourself and how you really are are presented to you.

#176957 - 05/05/05 04:45 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Not to get all scary around here with the personal opinions and things, but YAY anti-Fox hunting!! Sorry... just had to do a little dance and cheer... moving on...

#176959 - 05/05/05 04:48 PM
jrs

Yes, I agree on the fox-hunting issue, and with a Labour gov't (assuming it actually happens - it's still early) it won't be coming back.

I took a similar test just for fun, and ended up as a Liberal Democrat. I assume in real life it would depend on the seat though -- a straight up Labour/Conservative contest would likely lead me to vote Labour.

- Vincent

#176960 - 05/05/05 04:57 PM
Nelly

Tee heee. You're right, of course. We shouldn't be discussing politics, or at least announcing our personal views. The boards are a friendly place! Open even to fox hunters! And foxes!

~nelly~ Getting carried away

#176967 - 05/05/05 05:25 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Yeah, I've got the BBC on too - although I have to leave the room every time Peter Snow comes on! He can be so irritating!

My "on the ground perspective" is that most people will have switched from Labour to LibDem - I don't know anyone who was going to vote Tory - but without a lot of tactical voting, it won't make much difference.

I thought the campaign was pretty interesting because there was no one clearcut issue, so it really meant people had to decide for themselves what matters the most. I had a kind of head versus heart battle about it, but then I couldn't actually vote today because I am away from home and didn't realise in time to apply for a postal vote. My vote wouldn't have made any difference anyway - it isn't a marginal seat. We should have proportional representation so that all votes count, not just the ones in marginals. Also I think they should computerise all the polling stations so people could vote wherever they are. Although most government projects involving computers turn out a mess, so maybe not ...

Josephine

#177000 - 05/05/05 08:40 PM
jrs

Well, it's official -- another Labour government, with gains by both the Tories and the Liberal Democrats. What's amazing is that the Labour party is going to win a fairly good majority in seats while only receiving 36% of the popular vote. The inherent legitimacy issues there should make the next government interesting to watch.

- Vincent

#177018 - 05/06/05 01:55 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Yeah, that is why we should have proportional representation - I think the LibDems used to campaign for this, but needed Labour to agree, which they only do when they are out of office, never when they have a good majority! Hopefully it means Tony Blair won't be able to push through ID cards or privatisation of the NHS. I'll be interested to see if other countries think this was a pro-war or anti-war result!

Josephine

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review