All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Water Retention
      #369767 - 07/12/13 05:40 AM
arnoldmilgram

Reged: 09/16/11

I've been struggling with IBS-C for several years now. Heather's diet didn't do anything for me, although I am more or less stable on the acacia fiber and miralax. Less stable because I travel and I find it very difficult to stay stable while traveling.

Being stable has kept down gas bloating a lot, but I still retain a lot of water. Most of it sits around my mid section-- my stomach and thighs are swollen. I've tried stepping down my fiber intake this week from 2 tbs to 1.5 tbs which I mix in 32oz of water. Beyond that 32 oz, I drink about 10oz of tea, 10oz of water with my Miralax and maybe another glass of water with dinner or a cup of coffee. I tried OTC diuretics but that did nothing.

Anyone have any advice for shedding the water? Maybe I need to wait out the humid DC summer?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Water Retention new
      #369782 - 07/13/13 06:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is quite common. It happens to me if I am not careful with my diet. You might try the FODMAP diet to control IBS symptoms. It has been clinically tested in a number of countries showing 70-80% improvement in symptoms. It was developed by a GI doctor and a RD. You can read about in the first three links in my signature. Many of us on these boards use Heather's Eating for IBS diet and the FODMAP diet together with good results.

You might try removing tea and coffee from your diet as caffeine is a strong GI stimulant know to exacerbate IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369810 - 07/17/13 06:42 AM
arnoldmilgram

Reged: 09/16/11

I tried Fodmap briefly. I also was on Heather's diet for almost two years resulting in malnutrition and anemia. To be fair to the diet, when it didn't work, I just got more and more restrictive with what I ate. I'm not convinced dietary interventions are that successful for those of us with constipation predominant IBS. But if there's a food/foods in particular you think might be related to the high water retention, I'm open to suggestions.

--------------------
IBS-C

#370057 - 08/26/13 07:05 PM
Hellenjohn

Reged: 08/26/13

I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review