All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Headed to Thailand! Scared of coconut milk. ADVICE?
      #361457 - 10/15/10 06:46 PM
sweetandsourkiwi

Reged: 03/11/08

Hello all! I'm headed to Thailand for a few weeks and wondering...how do I survive the maze of eating? I've heard most things are doused in coconut milk, the language barrier makes it tough to know if you're ordering chicken or bat, and there's a lot of mystery meat...eeek. We are very budget travelers...and I would love to avoid an attack. Anybody been and survived and have advice?

Also...where else would y'all recommend for an IBS-friendly international vacation destination? (Besides my own kitchen! ) Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Headed to Thailand! Scared of coconut milk. ADVICE? new
      #361711 - 10/26/10 06:21 PM
bonelady

Reged: 10/26/10

Hi there,

I work for a few months of the year in Thailand, and only recently discovered that coconut milk might be the source of my complaints out there.

My advise would be to avoid curries and some soups, all of which will have coconut milk inside. Most of the delicious looking sweets at the market will have too.

However, there are many foods that do not contain coconut milk. Most of the soups that contain noodles will not have coconut milk, these are generally a clear broth and yummy! All those which you have to order as a separate dish with rice probably will have.

It depends on the region that you are visiting, as the local food will always be different, but I don't know of any dish that will contain coconut milk which is not a soup or curry. So in that sense you should be fine, however, everything, I mean everything, will be cooked in a wok with a lot of oil! So you may still have problems! Just fill up on all the yummy rice out there!!!

Hope that helps, also, if you really want to know if it has coconut milk in it, I can look the word up for you and tell you a phrase or too, but haven't got my books here with me to make it easier!

Also, i always remember this one, you can say, it sounds like this anyway:

My-sigh Nurr - which means without meat!

And the only meat you might get served is chicken or pork, not many places, at least where I am, have beef. And Thai people are very fussy with what animals they eat and food is very important to them so they actually eat a really good diet, with quite (aside from the oil) healthy attitude.

To eat in Thai, literally means to eat rice, and without a very generous portion of rice on your plate you will be considered very strange. The proportions are much healthier to an IBS diet than most places in the world!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review