All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and NAFLD
      #361238 - 10/04/10 12:52 AM
SharonDCA

Reged: 08/01/04
Loc: Kern County, Calif.

I have been diagnosed with NAFLD (Non-Alcolholic Fatty Liver Disease) and essentially that means that my liver has become confused about it's role regarding fat. Instead of burning fat, it now stores it. Weight loss is about the only "cure" but because the liver is now storing fat instead of burning it, losing weight becomes very, very difficult.

I have been following a diet called "The Fatty Liver Diet" which is sound. In addition to that I am using milk thistle, an herb long recognized to promote liver health but every time I take any it sets off my IBS-D. Right now it's raging. I have stopped taking the milk thistle, but since it is a very good herb and about the only one that works on fatty liver, I'd like to be able to use it. One of the symptoms of this NAFLD is unexplained weight gain especially around the abdoman. When coupled with my IBS bloating, my poor tum is very miserable & I look 9 months pregnant.
My IBS was diagnosed by my Gastroenterologist and the NAFLD dx by my PCP using ultrasound. So there is no self-diagnosing going on here. My PCP only says that
"losing weight will be helpful." I had good IBS control prior to this liver problem. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2416

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review