All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chronic constipation
      #359785 - 07/18/10 03:36 PM
sweetness

Reged: 07/18/10

How do you treat constipation and adjust the laxatives and diet? What lower tract indicators do you use to predict or cause you to alter laxatives and diet? I've had bowel problems since I was 5. I'm taking a ton of drugs a day which contribute to the problem I'm trying to find a decent balance between rock-hard stool or running and soft to diarrhea. The doctors agree that this is a motility problem and that surgery will not do any good. It's caused two hernias and one repair broke.

For years I had been taking 350 to 450 mil of DOSS daily for the effects some of my drugs have on stool. This was suggested by my neurologist. My G-I doctor said it was worthless so I stopped taking it Friday.

I started 17 grams of MiraLax every morning about 3 months ago every morning. It softened the stool and the gas became "billowy." I don't know what other word to use. I decided to wear diapers. That's not a problem. It seemed to wear off and the gas became less billowy and returned to its usual "sharpness" so I slowly increased it per doctors orders over a week reaching a max dose of 34 and diarrhea hit. I then stopped entirely to stop the runs.

I'm in a wheelchair and exercise is not an option.

My diet is now a religion: a bit more than a cup of Bran Buds cereal, 6 oz yogurt for breakfast, 60 oz fluid daily, 2 servings of fruits(apples, pears, grapes, peaches) fresh veggies 3x a week. I fell off it from time to time over the years due to depression and general disgust about my health problems.

I never drink milk. I pig out on ice cream over a two or three day period once every few months, but that doesn't seem to cause a problem. I have no food or other allergies but for several drugs which are too strong.

My newest G-I said that he has had some success with a probiotic, Align. Another said there's a drug, Amitiza, that doesn't work as well as MiraLax.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

I take these daily:
2500 Keppra
1200 lamictal
132 pb
20 omeprazole
12 terazosin
10 lorazepam
100 zoloft
Calcium tablet
Vitamin d
fish oil

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chronic constipation new
      #360104 - 08/04/10 06:44 AM
sanahenk

Reged: 08/04/10

For constipation you need a better diet plan. You need to eat lots of bananas, milk, and water. Besides Find a doctor and a dietitian who can help you change your diet plan.

#360111 - 08/04/10 03:43 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

No, milk is not the answer. No dairy on this diet. Did you read the guidelines?

#360112 - 08/04/10 03:45 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You might try posting your questions on the Diet/Eating board. There are some great people there, who have tons of good info, and will help you get straightened out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5441

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review