All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gastroparesis Anyone??? new
      #358195 - 04/29/10 10:42 AM
lilflash24

Reged: 04/29/10

Hi Everyone! My name is Katie and I am new to the site. I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis and chronic Gastritis about 6 years ago. I get endoscopies with gastric botox injections every six months and take loads of meds. I also am diagnosed with POTS syndrome. I heard about this site from my best friend who has IBS. I am wondering if anyone out there has the gastroparetic version of IBS and has any good tips. Also it just feels good to find a support community, regardless of diagnoses.

Thanks in advance!

Katie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gastroparesis Anyone??? new
      #358215 - 04/30/10 04:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hi, and welcome.

You'll probably get more responses to this if you post it on the IBS Diet Board. The Fitness Board is more for weight-loss and exercise.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358326 - 05/03/10 12:57 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I do have gastroparesis. I have gotten it under control since last summer through diet and small meals. I also take benefiber, colace and align. That has been a big help for me. I was only diagnosed a year ago, but have suffered with GI problems practically my whole life. Have you found anything that works well for you? How is the botox for you? Do you find it helps?

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Gastroparesis Anyone???
      #358375 - 05/04/10 03:24 PM
lilflash24

Reged: 04/29/10

Hey Aly,

Thanks for your message. The botox has worked wonders for me. My doctor said that it usually works for 50% of gastroparesis patients but if it works once then it should continue to work in the future. I am also on Omeprazole and glycolax which have helped too. I am doing the diets and small meals but man does it get hard! I miss a big honking burger sometimes!

hope your doing well!

Katie

#360858 - 09/09/10 05:09 AM
lagirl1966

Reged: 09/09/10
Loc: IA

Hi Katie,
I am so glad I found someone else that has gastroparesis! I have had it for 5 years. I stopped taking reglan over a year ago, the one that helps empty the stomach, and suddenly recently it got worse so I had to go back on it. I didnt want to because of the horrible things it can do. But I am still looking for something else to take. Do you take any emptying medicines? Thanks
Trish

#360871 - 09/09/10 02:42 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Please be careful with this drug! There is a black box warning for it.

They put my mom on this after major abdominal surgery and she has not been right since. She constantly shakes. Parkinson's like symptoms. The doc did not even want to start her on it, but did, and now she is off it. The surgeon has told her that the symptoms she is having are permanent.

It is sick what they will approve for us to put into our bodies, and then after the damage is done, settle quietly out of court.

There is a gal on the boards who has GP and she has found other ways too handle it. She has good info and is very kind and helpful. I just wish I could remmeber her darn user name. If I think of it I will post here. She may see this and give you some input.

#360877 - 09/10/10 04:36 AM
Aly

Hello!
I also have GP. It's been a bit of a struggle, but I finally have found my way to get through. I eat small meals about 5 times a day. I get pretty bad constipation as well, although I certainly have attacks with D. So, what I have found that works well is benefiber twice a day (since we can't eat high fiber anyway with GP) and in the evenings I take align (probiotic) and 2 colace.
A little over a year ago I was in the hospital for 5 days b/c I couldn't stop vomiting. The stomach pains were terrible--ugh-It was a rough time. At that time, they put me on reglan. I was on it for only one month before I got the TERRIBLE side effects. Not only did my face start to twitch, but I also started producing breast milk. Quite disturbing.... so I am NOT a fan of reglan, so PLEASE be careful!
Ask any questions you might have, as this has been a long and difficult road for me also.
As for diet--I don't do dairy, red meat, or anything high in fat. Any fruit needs to be cooked or broken down (like applesauce) and I only do cooked veggie (but even that took time to work up to)
Hope you feel better soon!
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

#360882 - 09/10/10 03:17 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Aly, you are the person I was trying to think of. Thanks for helping her. Then I see later down in the thread you already posted. Dah! I know about the reglan. A very, very dangerous drug, one I would NOT recommend. My mother eats small meals now also, and that seems to help. I am glad you are doing better.

#360915 - 09/13/10 06:39 PM
Aly

yes, reglan scares me SO much! I cannot believe I had to go through all of the side effects, but now I've learned a BIG lesson about drugs. I am SO careful of what I put into my body. My dermatologist gave me an Rx for a new drug that really hasn't been studied much and I just simply WILL NOT do it! It's not worth the risk, ya know?
Well, hope you are doing well. I'm pretty stable, but think it'll always be a bit of a struggle to keep my system in check.

--------------------
IBS-A

#361730 - 10/28/10 09:58 AM
TereseLovesDogs

Reged: 10/28/10
Loc: Michigan

How did they diagnose you? Would it be the stomach emptying study by chance?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review