All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bloating
      #350158 - 09/21/09 05:56 PM
Meisy

Reged: 05/06/08

Just curious what everybody else does with taking fiber. I use Citrucel (only thing that works for me) but, I have a difficult time figuring out when to take it. After I take it with the extra water, I am NOT hungry and if I eat, just get bloated terribly. So taking it before a meal isn't good, but, I've tried taking it after eating and it's not good with a full stomach either, so? Any tips?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating new
      #350159 - 09/21/09 06:32 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Citrucel makes me feel bloated too, probably partly because it has to be taken with so much water. I use to take it just before bedtime, a few hours after dinner, but then I would wake up 3 times a night to urinate from drinking so much water. Maybe try between meals? Like a couple hours after breakfast, but an hour or two before lunch?

I highly recommend heather's acacia fiber. It doesn't work overnight like citrucel, but it also doesn't cause the bloating and discomfort you describe. It takes a while to build up to the dose with AF that relieves constipation, but again, no yucky side effects either. I've been patient with it, and am finally having almost daily bowel movements. I'm currently at 2 TBSP a day, but I want to continue increasing my dose because I still experience quite a few IBS symptoms besides constipation. It's taken me 6 weeks to build up to this dose. Make sure you follow directions for slowly increasing the fiber, otherwise you will end up with excess gas and bloating.

#350178 - 09/22/09 09:06 AM
Meisy

I did try the acacia ( I am IBS-D) and had alot of gas pains so I quit...tried it for about a week, mixing it in my hot cereal in the morning. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. How do you use it? Do you mix in water or ? I have alot of upper gi pains...everytime I try to eat vegetables, etc.....just so frustrated.

#350180 - 09/22/09 09:13 AM
frygurl

I mix the fiber in a small amount of water and drink it just before eating breakfast and dinner. Maybe you tried too high of a dose to start out with. Some people need to start at 1/4 teaspoon twice a day and add a 1/4 teaspoon every 4th day. I know that is slow, but I think to give it a fair try, follow those directions and stick to it for a at least a few weeks to a month. Then again, if you are really confident that it is the source of your gas pains and it makes you miserable, then maybe it isn't for you. But I think it's worth trying again.

#350181 - 09/22/09 09:16 AM
Meisy

Thanks for your reply...as I said just so frustrated. I have so many weird symptoms with all this...I get to the point I just hate eating and wish I could just take a pill!

#350184 - 09/22/09 10:11 AM
frygurl

I'm right there with you! Having a rough couple of days with my symptoms at the moment. I hope the fiber helps you.

#350213 - 09/23/09 07:09 AM
beaddreamer

Reged: 09/23/09

I have been taking Konsyl easy mix formula. I mix it with some juice before eating. But because I was just diagnosed, I am not sure how much of that is affecting my symptoms. I really am afraid to eat at this point. I am on workers comp since a hip injury a few weeks ago. I know this is crazy, but it was during this time that my symptoms began.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8173

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review