All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Weight Loss
      #345179 - 04/28/09 07:42 AM
TEE

Reged: 04/28/09

I have been following or at least trying to follow the IBS diet, with some success. Although I am having a problem with weight gain. Does anyone have some tips for me. I am considering joining Weight Watchers. Does anyone know if I will be able to follow their advice and still stay on my IBS diet and be able to feel good and lose weight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Loss new
      #345181 - 04/28/09 08:26 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Tee,

That started to happen to me, and I am in very good shape. I cut down on the simple/complex carbs and added a little more protein, and that is taking care of it. Also, at each meal, I have a balanced diet. I have good fats, protein, and maybe a small about of carbs.

I don't know about WW, but I hear it is a very good program. It could probably be worked into the IBS diet.

Rebecca would be a good person to talk to about this. She is very knowledgeable about diet/nutrition.

Lynn

#345184 - 04/28/09 09:36 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Let's face it, being told we must have carbs at every meal, (and not even the healthy whole grain ones!) watch veggies, watch fruit, eat squash , don't eat brocolli If your gonna have fruit you gotta have bread, or oatmeal or ....well you get the idea lol anyone would gain weight extremly easy on this dietary guideline. Especially if you are not active! The trick is finding the best carbs not only that your body can tolerate but that are the most nutritious as well. WW is a great diet (although for people who don't have ibs I feel it is too low in healthy fats), although it will be somewhat tricky for you because you can't use the "filler foods" (with low points values) such as the fruits veggies and whole grains to the extent in which the diet would prefer you have.
Yes the basis of our diets must be carbs and most of the time the crappy ones lol but you can make the best of it by getting creative. I would love to try and help you....just post for me your activity level, the foods which you have found to be "safe" for you, how much weight you are trying to lose, and what you are currently eating now....a sample day diet for instance. I can certainly try and help you construct your meals as to where we can create a calorie deficit while still making sure you are full and no belly probs! Not only will that help you lose weigt, but when you get a handle on balancing your meals you will see your complexion improve and your energy will most likely increase as well.......oh here's a lil trick to help you feel full (and increase energy as well)....DRINK WATER! Every 45 min or so have 8 ounces of water....(except try and make sure that 30 min before or after a meal you don't drink anything...this inhibits digestion)....so many times our bodies are actually thirsty and we confuse that for hunger!

#345712 - 05/06/09 04:35 PM
ShannonL

Reged: 01/27/09
Loc: Gardiner, Maine

I've been having the same problem. I've seen a nutritionist and keep begging my doctor for help, but I'm 50 pds and counting =(
I did ask my doctor about WW and she said that I would find it difficult as the lower point foods are foods I can not tolerate.
I hope you find the answer !!

--------------------
Learning to Love who I am!

#346156 - 05/18/09 03:27 PM
Tebby

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Texas

I have lost 25 pounds doing WW whilst still trying to keep my IBS stable. Not the easiest thing in the world but with determination it can be done. Being prepared with the "right" food on hand at all times is key for any weight loss regime. Getting overly hungry makes you grab for the wrong stuff and that can get one into trouble both with weight and the IBS. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD, GERD

#346416 - 05/27/09 10:37 AM
SugarNut68

Reged: 05/27/09
Loc: NJ

Hi All, This is my first post. I am new to this website. I was reading about how you "shouldn't drink water 30 minutes before and after you eat." How are you suppose to take your supplements?
I am not happy with these eating guideline for IBS. It goes against everything I know to be healthy eating. I'm praying I don't gain weight. I know why they call it IRRITABLE because thats exactly what I am. I only have stomach problems with this but find it irritating to follow this diet. How does anybody not gain weight??? i just purchased a Whole Food Liquid Vitamin thats excellent. Now I read that Aloe Vera is bad for IBS. That is in the supplement. Sorry for venting, not a very good first impression.

#346426 - 05/27/09 12:07 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Oh, Sugarnut! Don't get down! (I call my animals sugarnut he he ) I am irritable as well! I wish I could help you, but you are right, this diet is not the HEALTHIEST diet in the world. I try to be healthy and eat my veggies, fruits, whole grains, but if not careful, I'm in pain! There are still ways to be healthy and enjoy food even with IBS. What type IBS are you? C, D, or A?

I LOVE berries, and they help me to have a regular BM everyday (along with Miralax and Amitiza), but some mornings, I think they are my enemy!

You can cook fruit in a small saucepan with a little bit of water and maybe a 1/2 tspn of sugar, and it is really good. I still try to eat the whole grain bread but it doesn't always go over well.

Cook all of your veggies very well and I have even pureed them before and put the "goolash" over rice. Makes for an interesting meal, but you get veggies!

I also drink ALOT of V8 (low sodium 5oz cans) I usually drink it with my oatmeal that is loaded with added Acacia fiber.

Hang in there! You will find ways to make this diet healthy for YOU!

Oatmeal is a good whole grain and half SF. It is also tolerated by most. Barley is also an excellent source of whole grain! I like it better than rice and I also like quinoa. They are both whole grains and loaded with SF and they are great with pureed veggies

You can also find fortified rice/hemp/almond milks that are wonderful and contain the same calcium/Vit D as a glass of cow's milk!

I hope that helps! I'm sorry you feel this way about the IBS diet. Hang in there, and I promise you will make it!

{{HUGS}}

Kappy

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346509 - 05/29/09 07:48 AM
Lib2266

Reged: 05/29/09

Hate to say it Kappy but I feel the same way as the sugarnut. I'm new to these boards and I came here looking for help as far as how on EARTH do you 'diet' on this 'diet.'?!?!?!? Currently I alternate between a bagel, cheerios or egg whites for breakfast. The cheerios I have no problem with, the bagel is no problem.. the egg whites are USUALLY no problem but its hit or miss.

My biggest problem is lunch. I go to the gym on my lunch hour and work out really good then when I come back to work (and I'm AWFUL at packing a lunch) I really just want to eat a salad ..its light, I just worked out, but I can't deal with the pain! So what do I end up eating?!? A sandwich of some sorts on fresh focaccia. WAY too heavy for lunch time. I know, I know I need to start bringing my own lunch but what's a light way to go?

And dinner is fine. I learned alot from this website. My biggest problem is my activity level. I come home from work and I'm just tired so getting up and going for an extra walk or being afraid I'm going ot have an attack while far away from a bathroom...its too much to bear.

#346511 - 05/29/09 11:24 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

First of all, WELCOME! Glad you found the greatest IBS website there is !

It does take some clever meal planning to diet on this! I know what you mean!

For lunch, I know this sounds bland, but I have a single serving carrot snack pack with a single serving of applesauce and a 5 oz V8. That's two veggies and a fruit and only 110 calories! I'll give you a sample of what I eat most days. Yes it does get boring, but to be on this IBS diet, eat well, and lose weight, it's about it!

Breakfast: (biggest meal usually)
1 serving Oatmeal (with 3T Acacia fiber)
1 C Rice Milk
1 C Raspberries/blueberries/strawberries/blackberries
Total Calores: 340-360

Snack (9:30 or 10am):
Banana
Soy Yogurt
Total Calories: 200

Lunch at Noon:
Snack pack of carrots
Snack pack of applesauce
5oz. V8
Total Calores: 110

Snack (2:30 or 3pm)
2 Plain rice cakes (with a sprinkle of Tony's seasoned salt)
1 serving dried fruit (apricot, cherries, prunes, mango, etc.)
Total Calories: 200

Supper:
1 serving of Oatmeal
1 C rice milk
1/2 cup berries
OR
Sauteed portobello mushroom (sauteed in low sodium/fat chicken broth)
Over an English muffin with some soy cheese
Total calories: 210-330

Total Daily Caloric Intake: 1200

This is just a sample! I eat two bowls of oatmeal most of the time to get whole grains. I don't like white bread or non-whole grain carbs. I usually don't eat them even on this diet. Rice and pasta are the only simple carbs I eat, and most of the time I eat brown rice (doesn't bother me, but may bother you so you might have to experiment)

The snack packs are great to carry to work (there's even a MINUTE brown rice bowl that is excellent to keep on hand). I keep a box of food under my desk for snacks and lunch. The healthiest fast food restaurant here is subway, but I don't like paying for lunch everyday. Too expensive.

Sometimes I add in some protein to breakfast (egg whites) and lunch (tuna for lunch) but I can't digest proteins very well. They sit too heavy on my tummy and I get a flare-up.

I hope this helps somewhat! You can diet on this diet, just be creative!

Kappy

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#347009 - 06/08/09 03:53 PM
jazz78

Reged: 06/08/09

Like you, I have struggled with following Heather's eating guidelines, because of the weight gain issue. However, eating this way is the only thing that's kept my IBS under control. After many of my relatives and friends raved about WW, I joined Weight Watchers (the online version) about a month and a half ago.

I have a few comments about WW for people with IBS. First and foremost, it can be done! I've lost almost ten pounds, and kept my IBS under control at the same time. I have found the point system to be educational for me, helping me to make the best choices that I can within the limitations of my IBS diet. I wouldn't want to go to the meetings, because much of their general eating advice would be a bad idea for me, but the online system allows me to track what I'm eating, along with a place for notes (which I use to note my IBS symptoms). This has allowed me to get a better grasp of the cause-and-effect of the different foods I eat and the different treatments I use for my IBS.

I know that as I lose weight, the food "points" I'm allowed will go down, and the program will become more difficult for me to follow. However, the points sytem also helps me figure out how much exercising I need to do to make sure that I can eat how I need to eat.

I hope this helps you!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16890

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review