All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Abdominal pain and sensitivity to temperature changes
      #342998 - 03/08/09 09:56 AM
matheoden

Reged: 03/08/09
Loc: Parker, CO

This is my first post. I am looking for some advice/support. Let me give you a bit of my history. This might be a bit long, so please, bare with me.

I have always suffered from some form of abdominal pain/gas/bloating. The worst being acutely sensitive to changes in temperature (walking out into the cold from a warm house, the refrigerated sections of the grocery store, etc.). Back in 1995, at the age of 20, I fell extremely ill, suffering from constipation with no "unassisted" BM that lasted for over 2 months. I was lucky in that I was living in Arizona and, after confounding my regular doctor, was referred to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. After months of various testing (many of which no one, let alone a 20 year old, should have to be put through), I was diagnosed with IBS (highly stress-induced). As I'm sure many people have found, outside of the suggestion to take one serving of Citrucel per day and a slew of anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medications, there was very little information/support given as to how to proceed from there as far as diet and lifestyle changes. Shortly thereafter, due to certain social influences, I began smoking and my stress levels as well as my IBS symptoms seemed to dissipate. ***I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE PICK UP SMOKING AS A WAY TO SELF-MEDICATE!*** I did nothing to address my IBS. I did still suffer from the temperature change pain and occassional gas/bloating.

Flash forward to December '08, I quit smoking. Within the first week, I began having major digestive problems. I recognized the symptoms as the same that began my whole problem back in '95. I decided to take my IBS serious this time and, after much research, came across the help for IBS website. I purchased Heather's books as well as the fiber, fennel tea, and peppermint caps. I have been following the diet near religiously since the beginning of January '09.

Nearly all my digestive problems have been resolved. The bloating has all but subsided, although I seem to be a bit more gassy these days (something I don't mind as long as they stay little "tufts" of air). My sensitivity to temperature change has seemingly and progressively worstened, though, since I have made my lifestyle and diet changes. It is not digestive at all as having food or not in my system does not effect the cramping. I have been using my heating pad a lot lately. Also, I have been using melissa officianalis (sp), otherwise known as lemon balm, essential oil as an abdominal rub when the attack is rather acute (something I highly recommend). It really helps! I was just wondering if anyone might have some other advice as to how to address the problem and also any insight as to why following an IBS friendly lifestyle might aggrevate the temperature sensitivity.

I would like to restate here that I in no way, shape, or form suggest nor recommend anyone taking up smoking for any reason whatsoever! In retrospect, I realize that I took up smoking as a way to self medicate, addressing...or more accurately...IGNORING...many issues in my life. Smoking causes many more problems, both physical and psychological, and does absolutely nothing to resolve any issue one may be faced with.

That being said, I would like to take this opportunity to whole-heartedly thank Heather for all of the time, effort, love and passion she has put towards providing all the amazing resources and support which benefits all of us, both those with IBS and those that support us. I am deeply appreciative of all of your work! Thank You

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Abdominal pain and sensitivity to temperature changes:Attn:Heather, too new
      #343061 - 03/09/09 03:57 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Quote:

That being said, I would like to take this opportunity to whole-heartedly thank Heather for all of the time, effort, love and passion she has put towards providing all the amazing resources and support which benefits all of us, both those with IBS and those that support us. I am deeply appreciative of all of your work! Thank You

I certainly agree with you - she supercedes the adage of "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade"!
I can't begin to comprehend where so many of us would be w/o her research and knowledge. With you, I applaud and thank her!
Let me ask you a couple of things - do the temperature changes affect only IBS symptoms, or do you have joint/muscle pain, skin sensitvity (as in almost like a chill or the hairs on your arms standing up:-)?
I know there are many other factors/illnesses intertwined with IBS and one is fibromyalgia which causes those problems, plus IBS or gut sensitivity.
Just a thought.....

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343074 - 03/09/09 08:37 PM
matheoden

Reged: 03/08/09
Loc: Parker, CO

GaGa - Thank you so much for responding. As for your question...I do have joint pain, but I have not noticed a flare in my joints when the temperature sensitivity occurs. However, almost every time I experience one of the abdominal attacks due to cold temperature changes, I do have a skin-crawl...more than just your typical goose bump chill. I have to be honest, I know very little, if anything, about fibromyalgia. I will definately do some investigating, though.

Thank you, once again, for your response and your interest, as well as the insight you've provided.

#343076 - 03/09/09 09:41 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I pray it isn't that and I'm sure not "speaking" some new sickness/disease on you, but there are some many extraneous disorders that IBS is a part of as well...

Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Abdominal pain and sensitivity to temperature changes new
      #343241 - 03/14/09 12:24 PM
Tripster

Reged: 03/14/09

My gastroenterologist told me that many IBS suffers are
bothered more by warm weather. This fact was confirmed by
another physician. Also, nicotene is a known substance for
quieting the nerves in the intestines. I developed mild IBS
(both C and D) when I was a senior in high school. I was given several courses of penicillin for a strep infection and knew nothing about probiotics back then. When I entered
college I smoked mostly for my own amusement and noticed that my intestines were less active. I never made the connection between smoking and IBS until I studied medicine
in college. Obviously, I am not advocating smoking to control IBS, but there is scientific proof that nicotene
calms the intestines. Thankfully, I quit smoking when I was
a junior in college. The risk of smoking outnumbers the
problems related to IBS. I recently acquired the IBS audio
program, but haven't set the time to listen to the CDs. I
was taught hypnosis for treatment of a 6 year old boy who had bed wetting problems and the hypnosis was an instant
success. The alternative treatment for him was to administer
the antidepressant imipraine to prevent him from nocturnal
bedwetting. This certainly demonstrates the power of the
subconscious mind. However, it is difficult to perform self
hypnosis, so I highly recommend repeatedly listening to the CDs for assistance. As Ghandi said "Our thoughts are what
make us who we are." I hope that this information helps you.

#345861 - 05/10/09 06:15 PM
laurenbren

Reged: 05/10/09

I just wanted to say thank you for this! Sometimes it is just nice to hear someone else has experienced the same thing so you know you aren't losing your mind.

I also smoked for many years and noticed much milder symptoms during that time. As I think we all agree, quitting was the best thing I've ever done for my health-but it made me realize the extent of my problems that had been helped by my terrible habit.

I am so glad you mentioned the sensitivity to temperature i've sometimes thought I was losing my mind when I notice feeling sick when I am walking from the frezer section to other parts of the market.

#345954 - 05/12/09 03:28 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

I do second and third the fact that IBS is worsened for some people by temperature changes. I notice that if I have to do anything outside in the hot weather, it bothers my IBS immensely. Our mini-staycation is at the end of July and it involves being outside most of the day in the heat, and in the past I have downed tubs of Imodium just to cope. It'll be interesting to see how I handle it this year.

It's one reason why I hate to see it warm up. I personally am not affected by hot-to-cold temps, but cold/temperate-to-hot really bothers me, and hot/humid weather totally messes my gut up. I don't know HOW I made it through when we had no A/C in the house for several years.

But nope...it isn't all in anyone's head, but rather in their guts.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#346112 - 05/16/09 08:12 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Another thought...

It's been rather humid here the past few days; we've had heat and then cold and lots and lots of rain. Just today it has been warm, cold, cloudy, and a bit of rain, all with humidity. And I've also noticed that the past few days, it seems that nothing I do concerning my gut is right. Eating safe foods is what keeps me from totally living in the bathroom.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#369688 - 07/03/13 01:13 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

This is an old topic, but I read this and it is so nice to read this. Not for the persons who have the same, but to see it 'on paper' from another person just gives me a feeling I am not totally strange or on my own. A couple of years ago I was with my husband in Las Vegas and the temperature changes from 'hotel with airco' and hot outside, made me go to every toilet on the Strip.

My husband asked if I was okay again to go outside.. I felt fine so we could go outside but within 10steps I had to search for the next hotel... Okay, going back was also an option, but not very handy...

Happy to read this.

Thanks for it.

Saskia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review