All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bloated and feeling alone
      #342986 - 03/07/09 11:14 PM
Heathernes

Reged: 03/07/09

Hi. This is my first post here, and I'm just in need of some support. I've had digestive problems for many years now. I was 19 when I started having issues with constipation. Now at 26, it seems it will be a chronic issue with no relief. I used to think that it couldn't get worse than that. Boy, was I wrong. I also suffer from GERD and have for about 6 years now. About two years ago I really started having increased stomach problems. Loss of appetite, nausea, weight loss. Doc's ran tests, said it was IBS. But a year ago I developed the worst symptom of all...BLOATING. I've always had issues with gas, but I was able to relieve them before. Now, no matter what I eat I blow up like a balloon and the gas stays trapped for days. The bloating came on slowly, but now I am bloated pretty much every day. I went to see a gastrologist a couple of months ago, and told him about it, and how for about a year my appetite has decreased to nothing. Had my first colonscopy/endoscopy and it was normal (of course). Blood work was fine. He says it is IBS. I read that IBS can do this to you, the bloating and all, but it just seems too much for me. I have myself convinced something else must be wrong. I am going to my gyno in two weeks because I feel like I need to rule out the possibility of ovarian cancer or something of the likes. I know it may sound silly. I am super young and have no history of cancer in my family, but I know continual bloating can be a symptom of that as well. I guess I am just searching for anything that makes sense. And IBS just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm just starting to lose faith...my mind...everything. I cry all the time anymore. I am getting married in 2 months, and I fear I will be bloated on my big day, as well as on my honeymoon to the bahamas. This should be the happiest time of my life, but I find myself dreading my wedding day for this reason. I eat healthy and workout all the time. I'm very petite and have a flat stomach (sometimes when I wake up I am reminded that I actually have abs). But as soon as I eat, I look pregnant. I have never actually measured how distended I get, but it's significant. I've tried every OTC pill for IBS. My newest trial is digesticol hoping that maybe it's an issue with digestion. So far, no luck. I keep a food journal. Fiber bloates me to no end, but if I don't eat it I am even more constipated. It's effecting my quality of life. At 26 I should be out enjoying my youth, but I stay in most of the time due to embarassment and discomfort. I know there are worst diseases out there, but at this moment this seems pretty bad. I feel like I can't live the rest of my life like this. My fiancee is wonderful, but he just doesn't understand. No one does. They all just think i'm over exaggerating some minor issue.

I realize I am rambling now. And it's not fair as you all reading this suffer as well. I'm not trying to throw a pity party, but some days I just feel like I don't want to go on anymore. Sometimes it just feels good to get it all out, and to know I am not alone..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloated and feeling alone new
      #342989 - 03/08/09 04:58 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Hi, I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I'm really sorry your suffering so much and feeling low. I haven't got any particularly helpful advice as my symptoms are different but i think it's good you are really taking responisibility for your health and making sure that other illnesses get ruled out. I'm sure others on the boards who suffer similar problems will be able to help. In the meantime, don't feel alone - I am 24 and have had IBS for 5 years so i know how it can affect your life as a young person, and I'm just one of thousands of people on these boards who can relate to what you're going through! I hope you find some answers soon. Best wishes, Charlotte

#342990 - 03/08/09 06:31 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time!
Yes, I agree with you the bloating is HORRIBLE. I've dealt with IBS since I was 12 and for years it was all "D" - constantly. I "thought" that was as bad as it can get and it is indeed bad - unlike you, that's what I was going through on my honeymoon and was so shy, I just didn't eat anything!
The past few years it has become more "C", in fact almost totally "C" - I only have "D" if it's a "bug" or I am super stressed.
Don't give up - people on here are very friendly and eager to help and you will find there's not much "someone" hasn't gone through.
Let people know 1)your diet - what do you eat and when?, 2)do you take any supplements or meds for your "C" or bloating now?
I bloat almost every time I eat, but a lot of mine, I know is due to portion control - I don't eat until I'm starving- which is ridiculous and know you should eat small meals throughout the day and certain food allergies or intollerances - wheat makes me bloat...etc.
You will find people recommend certain yoga positions to help relieve the bloating...fennel tea and other remedies.
So, hang in there and keep searching on here - I don't have the exact answer, but there are many recommendations on here.
...the answer is on the way....
((Hugs)) - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343325 - 03/16/09 12:21 PM
Durdaana

Reged: 03/16/09
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know exactly how you feel, I have the same problem. It has been the most frustrating thing for me, even more than the pain. I wake up one size, then by the evening my clothes are too small and I feel like there is a balloon inflated in my stomach. Like you I am athletic and have always eat very healthily, but by the end of the day I feel like I have a gut! Before discovering this website I had tried to deal with the constipation by eating lots of green leafy vegetables, whole grains, and bran, which of course was the worst possible thing I could have done Now I start every morning with cooked plain oatmeal with chia and 1/2 a banana which sets me up for a good day. I make sure every snack and meal is based on soluable fiber (I add brown rice and quinoa to a lot of my food) and when I can't I add a tablespoon or two of chicory fiber isolate to herbal tea and drink that with my meal. I snack on carrots and peeled apples and drink lots of peppermint, chamomile, and fennel tea. I don't have it perfectly under control yet, but it has made a significant difference. I actually have good days now, something totally unheard of during the past year.

Something you might want to discuss with your doctor, if you haven't already, is possibly trying prozac. SSRIs are supposedly very effective for managing IBS-C and if diet and exercise are not helping you it might be an avenue to explore.

Good luck!

#343391 - 03/18/09 12:33 AM
Heathernes

Reged: 03/07/09

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm still struggling, but trying to educate myself as much as possible, while finding ways to cope. I appreciate the support.

#368958 - 01/04/13 09:49 AM
MeghanMichelle

Reged: 11/21/12
Loc: Akron, Ohio

Hey,

I know this is from several years ago, but I was recently diagnosed with IBS and have been struggling with EXACTLY this problem... I am extremely petite, very athletic, and follow Heather's diet about 99% of the time (curse the delicious Christmas cookies I had to work so hard to avoid). But no matter what I do, as soon as I eat I bloat up like I'm 6 months pregnant.
I was hoping you'd had some success figuring out a solution to this horrid problem, or maybe some coping mechanisms I haven't tried? I also drink Heather's peppermint and fennel teas and have about 2 tbs of acacia fiber a day (morning and evening).
Fingers crossed you see this and might have some encouraging advice?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review