All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stress reduction methods (besides yoga/hypnois)?
      #340137 - 12/29/08 10:55 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Hi, my name is Matt, and I'm 16

I just visited my doctor, and he said that the best thing I could do for my IBS is to reduce stress
This makes sense. I've always had a weak stomach, but nothing that prompted me to go to the doctor. This year, it got so much worse in conjunction with new stresses

So anyway, can anyone recommend good hobbies/activities? Keep in mind that I am a teenage male.

Thanks, Matt

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stress reduction methods (besides yoga/hypnois)? new
      #340149 - 12/29/08 12:51 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Try Tai Chi. It's often taught as a health and meditation exercise but it is actually a martial art:

Quote:

t'ai chi ch'uan literally translates as "supreme ultimate fist", "boundless fist," or "great extremes boxing"

From Wikipedia

Make some calls and see if you can find someone who teaches it as a martial art. (It includes some very cool weapons once you advance.)

I don't know anything about the other martial arts but they might help with stress relief also.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Tai Chi? new
      #340156 - 12/29/08 02:02 PM
mcem222

Thanks for the tip Sand

I knew a guy who told me that Tai Chi rehabilitated his crippling back injury and did what no doctors could do

Anyway, since I don't drive yet, it would be very difficult to find an instructor and have my parents drive me. Any way I could learn Tai Chi at home? I would definitely be willing to give it a try, but I don't think I would like it.

any other ideas?

There are lots of tai chi videos if that's what you mean. -nt- new
      #340191 - 12/30/08 07:49 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#340260 - 12/31/08 08:01 AM
ancientone

I would learn Qi Gong it is what I use. Sorta like ti chi but much much better and much older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_gong

http://www.qi-kung.com/

A free look at Qi Gong new
      #340287 - 12/31/08 12:32 PM
Sand

Qi Gong is sort of Tai Chi without the flow or if you prefer, Tai Chi is moving - and traditionally martial - Qi Gong. They are different expressions of the same idea. As a 16-year-old male - especially one resistant to yoga - I thought something martial and active might be more your cup of tea. However, I think Qi Gong would be much easier to learn on your own.

If you're interested in Qi Gong, check out the National Qigong (Chi Kung) Association website here. They have a video called "The Five Treasures" which you can take a look at on-line here to see if it looks like something you'd be interested in and, if so, you can order it for $10 plus S/H. What you don't see on-line but is on the video are narrated explanations of each of the exercises.

I'm not sure why you're resistant to yoga and hypnosis but you might want to check out the Boards for those two approaches before writing them off. I haven't tried yoga but I gather the discipline is excellent and challenging. I have tried the hypnosis and found it extremely valuable although I've never been disciplined enough (perhaps I need to try yoga) to get through the entire 100 days. One of my (numerous) New Year's resolutions is to do the program again and get through the whole thing.

HTH. Happy New Year.

--------------------

#340528 - 01/06/09 06:19 PM
lilycat

Reged: 01/06/09

I do vipassana meditation. It seems to help if you keep it up daily. It's not an immediate fix, you must keep with it for a few weeks to really notice results. But your baseline reactivity will decrease if you practice consistently.

#341377 - 01/29/09 12:47 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Matt - I know you are asking for methods besides hypnotherapy - but you may want to look into the program offered here - the IBS Audio Program - we have had many young people - fellas too!! who have been helped greatly with this - as it addresses the brain-gut axis/connection that links stress, anxiety to symptoms of IBS.

If you have any questions do let me know, but there is over 20 years of research showing it to be helpful, and most do it after all else has failed - and the cost is less than many other treatment methods - we had one fellow who had IBS for over 30 years and is now well - no IBS - after years of nothing working - so it would have an even better chance for you - but of course, everyone has their way forward, so I understand you are searching all the options - just had to mention it... (I have a son too!)

Take care and all the best to you...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#357030 - 03/27/10 09:06 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Simple deep breathing and some relaxing soft instrumental music. You can use this for a few minutes in the reclining position (floor or bed), or you can use this technique while you are studying or multi-tasking other necessary chores.

This helps provide a relaxing environment. People used to laugh at 'elevator music', yet is was designed to keep people calm of their fears when riding an elevator.

These days when we call 'Customer Service' for most anything, we get the most aggravating music possible to further jitter our nerves while we wait seemingly FOREVER for a live person to talk to. I have the suspicion that they hope we will hang up long before anyone human actually gets to us... leaving us as nervous wrecks.

Customer Service reps and customer music psychology these days doesn't do much for 'calm' environments towards solving our problems and answering questions in the process.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review