All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
REPORTING IN - Sand - Phase Four
      #328118 - 04/11/08 08:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm doing a behavior modification approach to lose weight. This approach is based on Stay Slim for Good by Zalman Amit and E. Ann Sutherland, copyright 1976. The idea is to control not what I eat but how I eat. There are 7 phases in the program and each phase has a specific behavior or behaviors to be learned. I learn the new behaviors for each phase and must do them successfully for 7 days. (If I fail one day, the 7 days start all over again.) Once I have 7 successful days at one phase, I move to the next phase and the new behaviors for that phase.

Success is measured by points. I get points for my mistakes so the fewer points the better. Based on the points, I get a "grade" of Excellent, Good, Fair, or Start Again.

I have now successfully completed seven days of Phase 1 (here) and seven days of Phase 2 (here). Since I skip Phase 3 (here) I am now beginning Phase 4.

Phase 4 is "Become Aware Of Your Eating". In this Phase, I must:

1) Sit down when I eat.

2) Use a full place setting when I eat.

3) Cut out distractions when I eat. No working, walking, radio, television, reading, smoking, etc. The only thing I may do while I eat is talk to another person at the table.

4) Drink water before each meal. I must drink an 8-ounce glass of water before I begin to eat the food in front of me. In the Amit/Sutherland plan, this rule applies only to meals. I require it before snacks, also, since it helps me get the fluid I need for my IBS.

For each of these tasks I don't perform, I score 5 points.

In addition, I must still do the recording tasks I learned in Phase 1 and continue to score any errors there and still do the eating time regulation tasks I learned in Phase 2 and score any errors there. My total score each day is a combination of points from the Phase 1 tasks; points from the Phase 2 tasks; and points from the Phase 3 tasks.

The scoring ranges for Phase 4 are:
0: Excellent !
1-21: Good
22-39: Fair
40+: Start Again

I'll post my score every day. If time permits, I'll also post what I actually ate for anyone who wants to use the Fitness Board to get ideas for meals and snacks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thurs, 4/10/08; Day 1; Score: 16 - Good (nt) new
      #328119 - 04/11/08 08:42 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Fri, 4/11/08; Day 2; Score: 40+ - Start Again (nt) new
      #328154 - 04/12/08 07:27 AM
Sand

--------------------

Oh... this is tough one!! new
      #328170 - 04/12/08 04:11 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Sit down to eat ... full place seating ... no working ... no reading while eating ... there goes my breaks at work...

but keep going ... it would be great to beable to do this phase, and then keep doing it.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Oh... this is tough one!! new
      #328185 - 04/13/08 09:06 AM
Sand

Yup, I struggle with this one. I love to read while I eat but I do acknowledge that's a very good way to consume about a gazillion calories without even noticing.

--------------------

Sat, 4/12/08; Day 1 (Take 2); Score: 24 - Fair (m) new
      #328186 - 04/13/08 09:10 AM
Sand

I'm actually pretty happy about this even though my score isn't great. We went to a cousin's surprise 60th birthday party so my score represents skipping all those wonderful little appetizers (mini-reubens! pigs in a blanket! steak on garlic toast!) plus not even so much as a glass of wine during the cocktail hour. Now, admittedly, any of that would have been bad for my IBS anyhow but I'm still giving myself credit for resisting. (I did eat some of the birthday cake - tummy bad, behavior mod acceptable.)

--------------------

Sun, 4/13/08; Day 2 (Take 2); Score: 40+ - Start Again (m) new
      #328227 - 04/14/08 07:44 AM
Sand

Pride goeth before a fall, I guess. I was so impressed with myself for Saturday then...

Okay, here I go again.

--------------------

Mon, 4/14/08; Day 1 (Take 3); Score: 30 - Fair (nt) new
      #328278 - 04/15/08 05:18 AM
Sand

--------------------

This phase is completely impossible for me!! too tough. - nt - new
      #328352 - 04/16/08 08:46 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Well, I've now made it through Day 2 (m) new
      #328359 - 04/17/08 06:11 AM
Sand

(with a little interruption). I'm hanging on by my fingernails but I'm starting to feel sort of angry at the tasks which is usually a good sign for me. Kind of a "Ha! So you think you can beat me. We'll just see about that."

Wish me luck!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43501

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review