All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
REPORTING IN - Sand - Phase One
      #326815 - 03/19/08 10:24 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm doing a behavior modification approach to lose weight. I've posted about this before, but I figured I'd explain it again rather than posting hyperlinks.

This approach is based on Stay Slim for Good by Zalman Amit and E. Ann Sutherland, copyright 1976. The idea is to control not what I eat but how I eat. There are 7 phases in the program and each phase has a specific behavior or behaviors to be learned. I learn the new behaviors for each phase and must do then successfully for 7 days. (If I fail one day, the 7 days start all over again.) Once I have 7 successful days at one phase, I move to the next phase and the new behaviors for that phase.

Success is measured by points. I get points for my mistakes so the fewer points the better. Based on the points, I get a "grade" of Excellent, Good, Fair, or Start Again.

The first phase is "Record Your Eating". I have to write down everything I eat and when, where, and with whom I eat it and be sure to do that within 15 minutes of eating. Points are assessed as follows:

For any food not recorded: 10 points
For any entry made without the time eaten: 5 points
For any entry made without the location: 1 point
For any entry made without the names of the other people there: 1 point
For any entry made later than 15 minutes after finishing eating: 1 point

This can get quite expensive quite fast. If I forget to write down anything about, say, a slice of bread, I get 18 points for that: 10 for the food, 5 for the time, and 1 each for the where, who, and promptness.

The scoring ranges for Phase 1 are:
0: Excellent !
1-9: Good
10-19: Fair
20+: Start Again

I'll post my score every day. If time permits, I'll also post what I actually ate for anyone who wants to use the Fitness Board to get ideas for meals and snacks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (03/20/08 07:57 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sand ... new
      #326842 - 03/19/08 03:32 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

It's good to see that you are back and feeling better.

This behavior modification approach sounds interesting ... what is the 2nd phase?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Double J ... new
      #326850 - 03/19/08 04:02 PM
Sand

It's good to be back - and feeling better.

The behavior mod approach is interesting but like every other "diet" the problem is sticking with it. After all, if I had a healthy eating pattern to begin with I wouldn't be overweight.

Phase 2 is "Regulate Your Eating Times". I eat only at certain times and I have to eat at those times - no skipping. I'll go into it in more detail when I get to that Phase (hopefully in a week) but if you want more info now let me know and I'll explain further.

I hope all is well with you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yes ... I'd like to hear about the 2nd phase -nt- new
      #326862 - 03/20/08 04:28 AM
Double J

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

The 2nd phase new
      #326873 - 03/20/08 07:53 AM
Sand

Sounds like part of an alien plan to take over the galaxy, doesn't it?

Phase 2 is "Regulate Your Eating Times". In this Phase, you must eat 3 meals and 2 snacks and you must eat them within specific time periods. (I cheat on this a little and have something extra when I first get up - my IBS demands it.)

The description below is quoted from Stay Slim for Good. I've shortened it up a bit.

Meals

A meal is defined as anything you wish to eat in the same setting at the specified time.

These are the meals you must eat, and the starting times at which you must begin them:

Breakfast 7:00am - 9:30am
Lunch 12:00noon - 2:00pm
Dinner 6:00pm - 8:30pm

The only exceptions allowed are on weekends. On Saturdays and Sundays you may combine breakfast and lunch as brunch - but you must begin this brunch before 2:00pm.

Snacks

A snack is defined as one beverage (any liquid), plus one item of food (one piece of toast, one chocolate bar, one piece of fruit. You must eat two such snacks every day, and you must begin these snacks within any two of the three specified time periods for snacks:

Mid-morning 10:30am - 11:30am
Mid-afternoon 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Evening 9:00pm - 11:00pm

Decide now which two snack breaks you're going to take, and then keep to it. (If, at the end of seven consecutive days, you would prefer [two different snack times], then you may make this change. After this one change, however, you must keep to the established pattern of two snacks at regular times.

Between meals and snacks, you're allowed nothing but water, soda water, clear tea, and black coffee. [Y]ou can drink as much of these as you like ... and you don't have to record them.

No other eating is allowed. Don't taste food while you're cooking it.

That's it. There's a scoring portion and if you're interested in that, I'll explain how that works. I'm going to edit my original post on Phase 1 to explain how that Phase is scored and from now on I will explain how each Phase is scored.

--------------------

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - Phase 1, Day 1 new
      #326874 - 03/20/08 08:01 AM
Sand

Just a score today. Partly time, partly too many UFOs and too little fluid, Acacia, and exercise. My excuse is that I'm still in Just Got Home Chaos.

Phase 1, Day 1

Score: 3 - Good

--------------------

Thursday, March 20, 2008 - Phase 1, Day 2 new
      #326960 - 03/21/08 07:56 AM
Sand

Phase 1, Day 2

Score: 1 - Good

--------------------

Fri, 3/21/08; Day 3; Score: 1 - Good (nt) new
      #327026 - 03/22/08 07:31 AM
Sand

--------------------

Edited by Sand (03/22/08 07:31 AM)

Re: REPORTING IN - Sand - Phase One new
      #327027 - 03/22/08 08:02 AM
Double J

I will keep watching ... I'd like to shed 15 or 20 pounds. Doesn't seem like much, but it just won't come off. I think that once you finally get off the horses it is all over for the belly.

Keep posting!

--------------------

Thanks, DoubleJ... new
      #327035 - 03/22/08 11:08 AM
Sand

Knowing someone is watching helps keep me on track.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13443

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review